Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 01-07-2012, 02:48 PM   #61
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I am not too sure when I added these so now seems like a good time

I needed new plug wires so instead of buying the same old rats nest I went with a blue set of Taylor Shorties. They cleaned up the look of the engine a bit and made it easier to diagnose an issue in the future.

To keep the internals and especially the throttle body cleaner I got a Billet Technologies Catch Can! I bent a spare piece of steel into an "L" bracket, painted it Khaki, and mounted it to one of the passenger side strut bolts.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #62
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now for a little suspension modification! I wanted to eek a little more height out of this thing. I thought about doing something similar to AcidCold's Frankenstein (Hybrid) Lift, but after the disastrous outcome he had I decided against it. Instead I decided to only add an extra inch. The problem was no one made a 1" lift, so I had to make my own.

First the rear.

I acquired a set of rear poly spacers from a RRO lift locally to play with. They started out looking like this:

Then I chopped .75" off the bottom and the center 1" off the top:

As you can see the bottom piece that I cut off was beveled so I had to do the same so it would seat properly.

I was planning on reusing the rubber isolator so I had to trim up the top a little too.

After all that they were down to a 1.5" spacer.

I also installed the custom longer sway bar links from Rusty's.

Unread 01-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #63
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now for the front.

I was already using one set of Rusty's strut spacers. With one set on I could see that the bolts were not long enough for another set. So I had to get longer bolts. Instead of tracking down just the right size stud that would be a proper replacement only longer, I bought grade 8 bolts to use. The problem with using bolts and not studs is now the bolts could freely spin, where as the studs were pressed in place.

The new hardware:

Compared to the old:

To remove the stock studs from the strut plate, I used a 7/8 socket. After letting them soak for a few minutes in PB blaster I placed the socket under the stud, and after a couple good whacks they popped out.

Now I placed the new bolts in and welded the heads to the plate. After hitting them up with a wire brush, primer, and paint they your good to go.

I reassembled the strut assembly and they were ready to go back in!

Unread 01-07-2012, 04:34 PM   #64
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

December came and with it my trip out to CO! This was my trip report once I got back:

So I am now back home. The trip was great! I love spending time with family. The trip out there was not so great. I left at 0400 and got there at 2200 PST. It literally rained the entire way out there except for the last 3 hours. So traveling through a storm meant my gas mileage sucked. I averaged 17mpg on the way out which isn't too bad considering the terrain and the weather. On the way back I averaged about 19mpg and even saw 21 for a while! I am very glad I grooved my tires though. With all that rain and snow I know my traction would have been pretty bad. They performed flawlessly the whole trip. And the HEMI!!!... Man I love that thing!!! Even with the 285s and the terrain, I had no problem maintaining unmentionable speeds. The landscape out there through Utah and Colorado was just Gorgeous! I really want to move out there, unfortunately I don't think that will happen any time soon. It killed me to go all that way and just drive past Moab without stopping for a quick offroad adventure. If I was not on a time crunch I would have. Anyway, here are some pix I snapped during my drive. Enjoy!

Unread 01-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #65
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Time for the 60K mile service! I went to the stealership to grab some goodies.

There was a 2011 Grand Cherokee sitting there so I decided I should park next to it. When a couple of the salesmen saw me snapping pics they came over and asked me if I was ready for an upgrade. They were talking GC I was thinking SL! When they started telling me how superior the '11 was offroad I had to laugh and tell them that a vehicle with only one locking diff would never be more capable that a vehicle with 2 locking diffs. They had no idea what I was talking about Ha, figured!

Unread 01-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #66
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

After finally coming to the realization that my currents CB antenna was a piece of crap, I ordered up a real one. I got a 3' Firestik 2 antenna along with a new Fire-Ring cable and the Saguaro mount.

Unread 01-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #67
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Next up I received 130lbs of long awaited goodies!

Unread 01-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #68
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Omelet - great thread. Well thought out and nicely executed.
I'll stay tuned for more.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2012, 08:08 PM   #69
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks Bud! I think I am about half way there now

Unread 01-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #70
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Well after procrastinating long enough waiting for a company to come out with some aluminum sliders that didn't way 100lbs, i finally bought the 4xGuard Side Guards (3rd Gen). Along with them I purchased the Belly Guard to finish off my collection of armor. The instal was easy, but having a second set of hands would have been nice.

I did the belly first.

I found a second set of hands sitting on the patio!

I was thrilled to finally have this skid. I have come to realize that the main piece that covers the tranny is very stout, however the piece that covers the cat needs a little work.

Next came the sides.

With the plastics removed.

The second set of hands wasn't really needed here, but it made me feel better laying underneath it.

They don't quite match just yet!

I love the shape of these things! If you didn't know any better you would think these were stock plastic skirts. The fit and finish is superb and the mounting is very solid for bolt on rails. Although it could be better by tying them into the frame, most will never need anything stronger. I like that I got the 3rd Gen because the 4xGuard logo that used to be cut into the sides always seemed to be the first thing to rust on other Jeeps.

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #71
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

After a lot of research and talking to way too many people I finally decided on and purchased my new tires! I went with the Nitto Trail Grapplers in the hefty 295/70/17. I figured they were only slightly bigger than what I was currently running and I got those to fit so why not give theses a try The next day I went out for a quick test run.

These suckers are huge! They fit pretty good, but rubbed a bit here and there. Nothing I couldn't handle The only thing that needed to be handled for now was to take a sledge and flatten the pinch weld just a little bit more.

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #72
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I just realized I forgot to mention my wheel spacers! I knew with how close the 285s were, the .25" spacers were not going to cut it anymore. So I bolted the 1.25" spacers back onto the front and got 1" spacers for the rear. This combination worked good and it is what I am still using now!

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #73
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by omelet
I just realized I forgot to mention my wheel spacers! I knew with how close the 285s were, the .25" spacers were not going to cut it anymore. So I bolted the 1.25" spacers back onto the front and got 1" spacers for the rear. This combination worked good and it is what I am still using now!
What spacers are you using omelet?
Unread 01-07-2012, 09:36 PM   #74
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

If you are asking brand? They are from a shop on eBay! No fancy name, but they are quality spacers made exactly like the fancy expensive blue ones

Unread 01-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #75
zeds_dead
2005 WK 

How much did you spend on them? And any comments on them? I'm in the market for some. Any cons?

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.