Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #31
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

It was time to figure out the spare tire situation. Until now I had been keeping it in the cargo area. This works but gets annoying since it takes up so much space. On my XJ I had tried strapping my spare to the roof in a basket, and though that got it out of the back I didn't like the extra top weight and increased body role it produced. This time I wasn't going to do the same. I knew I didn't want my spare up there. I know a 32" is lighter than a 35", but I didn't want to increase top weight any more than I needed to. I thought about getting the Saguaro rear bumper and carrier, but for many reasons that wasn't going to happen. All that was left was the stock tire location. So I removed the bumper to see what I was dealing with.

(You can also see my reso in that one)

Since I had the factory hitch I knew that was going to be the big problem.

For now I decided to pull the hitch out and try to get my fully inflated 255/75/17 up in there. Until now all I had seen was a couple of guys fit their 265/70/17 up in there. Knowing that the 255 was only slightly taller than the 265 I figured I could make it work.

I had some plans to modify the hitch, but I didn't have time to do it then.

And in went my inflated spare. This was and still is a brand new Rubi BFG M/T.

I had enough clearance at the exhaust.

And with it pushed all the way to the rear It could hug the rear crossmember with some room to spare against the track bar.

At this time I had also scored a brand new 4xGuard rear guard Gen 2 off eBay for $120! Some guy was selling it and didn't know what he had. He listed it as a front skid for a Commander. I sent him a message telling him what he actually had along with an offer. A few minutes later I received a message back from him that said SOLD!!!

Eventually I got around to modifying the hitch and reinstalling it. I cut off the nuts that were tacked onto the back side and trimmed the hitch flush with the welds. Then I got carriage bolts and passed them through from the inside out. This way the hitch was as smooth and low profile as possible.

With this set up I could have left the spare fully inflated and it would have rubbed the track bar slightly, but I decided to deflate it and get a compressor in case I have to use the spare.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #32
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Time to interrupt the mods for a quick outing

We took a trip along the border fence. Whenever I need to get out for a quick trip I just head out into the hills southeast of where I live. From my house I can be at the peak in 45min. We always see a lot of border patrol roaming about. The more difficult areas to get to are usually patrolled be Rubicons. I got to talking to one of the guys once and he told me I should take a trip along the border road. He said it wasn't really somewhere I was supposed to be however there was no rule saying I couldn't. So one Sat morning I took the fam out for a joy ride.

Sorry the pics are pretty crappy!

And where the fence ends for a bit...

Then to finding our way back home... in the rain!

Unread 01-04-2012, 02:05 PM   #33
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now is about the time I got a CB! I bought just a cheap Midland model-1001Z and a magnetic antenna. At the time I just wanted a CB and didn't care about any of the fancy add-ons, so this one was a nice choice. I planned to use the cubby to the left of the steering wheel for the CB's home. I pulled the cubby out and chopped the back of it off. Then fitted the CB inside of it and secured the CB with two bolts.

And once installed.

I kept the mic in the drivers door pocket. I was only going to use the CB while wheeling, so I didn't want it in the way for day to day driving. I also had a PA that I mounted on top of the front guard. Unfortunately I never took a picture of it and it is now destroyed I forgot to secure it into place once when I took the guard off and then put it back on (I think for an oil change). So late when I jumped in to go for a drive, the PA fell out and I ran over it

Unread 01-04-2012, 02:11 PM   #34
Muddy4DSM

I see ipod cables - anything exciting about your ipod integration that might make it into the build thead?
Unread 01-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #35
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

A couple of scenic shots out by the lake.

Unread 01-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #36
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy4DSM View Post
I see ipod cables - anything exciting about your ipod integration that might make it into the build thead?
Nothing too exciting! I was given something like this:

I run it back to the VES (DVD player) and have it play through the speakers as an auxiliary input.

Unread 01-04-2012, 02:44 PM   #37
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now for one of my favorite mods!!! I was lucky enough to score a set of HM Engineering chromoly UCAs! Thanks to AcidCold we found a guy in Saudi Arabia who had bought a set but rolled his Commander. So he had a brand new set just sitting around waiting for a new home. These UCAs are exactly like the Camburg or Total Chaos uni-ball arms. So you know they will hold up to some serious abuse.

Comparison to the stock arm:

Once installed:

This was also about the time I swapped out my 1.25" spacers for .25" spacers. I wasn't liking how for the tires stuck out past the fenders with this small of a lift. It made the Jeep look squatty! IMO

Unread 01-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #38
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

As you might have noticed I also got a set of Stillen rotors on sale from Kolak. I love these things! I only got the rotors, because the Mopar pads that the dealer had put on were still new. Even with just a rotor swap I felt a noticeable braking improvement! These really helped make up for the extra weight and rolling resistance.

Unread 01-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #39
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Nate have you had the Stillen's in mud or heavy watery mix? I'm wondering how a trap rock would treat those holes in the rotors.
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #40
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I hooked up with a buddy and his PreRunner group to have a little fun. Nothing too exciting! Mostly just flying down trails and trying not to loose them over the whoop sections They kept trying to get me to jump it, but this thing doesn't have the suspension for that!

I was a little out of my league! Though I did find some rocks to show them up on

As you can see I really needed new tires at this point! Time to start scouring Craigslist again. . . .

Unread 01-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #41
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtosh View Post
Nate have you had the Stillen's in mud or heavy watery mix? I'm wondering how a trap rock would treat those holes in the rotors.
Yes, and now you are making me get ahead of myself!!!

Spoiler Alert!

I don't do much mud, but the couple of time out in it that I have hasn't been a problem. I did get a rock between the rotor and dust shield once which was a nightmare to remove and made a horrendous noise. But that wasn't the rotor's fault!

Unread 01-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #42
mrtosh
2005 WK 

Whoops! My bad!! Haha! Nobody sees the Fox shocks...
'05 WK Limited QDII, Superlift 6", Bilstein struts,315/70/17 Duratracs, Gibson CB, Volant CAI, JBA UCA's, JKS quick disco, adj. Rear trac bar, 4xguard armor, Diablosport Intune, Xenondepot 6000k HID's, Putco Jet yellow fogs.
mrtosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #43
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ya! Or the tires, or the links, or the spacers

Unread 01-04-2012, 04:35 PM   #44
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I just realized I totally skipped over my Indiana trip! I had to go out there for a five week school so I decided to drive instead of rent a car the whole time.

Nothing to eventful because I was busy with school most of the time, but I got to take it out a couple times. Unfortunately it rained almost everyday I was there which made a lot of mud. With these balding tires the mud made things interesting! Luckily I had the QDII system which probably saved my from getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere. The few guys I had with me were very impressed! They said there was no way I was getting out.

I also did my first side by side comparison. I found a govi while I was out there and took advantage of it!

Unread 01-04-2012, 07:30 PM   #45
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Well the PreRunner trip showed me that when my front end was stuffed hard, the uniball bolt would hit the top of the fender well. So I got a new drill bit and cut a hole right where it was hitting.

Problem solved!!!

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.