Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 147 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-01-2014, 11:11 PM   #2191
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Next up I finally bought and installed a Sonnax transmission line pressure booster. I have been wanting to give it a try for years now, but just never did! I searched around and found one for $42, and after a few days it was at my door.

On the 545RFE transmission it plugs in on the passenger side right by the exhaust hanger and cat. Installation is super easy, just unplug the factory end, plug the booster into the factory wire, and then into the tranny, FINISHED!

With daily driving there is a noticeable difference in how firm the up shift is, but it is minimal. Unless you know to feel for the difference, you would never know. It's not like the shift rocks you out of your seat! The shift feel isn't the reason I wanted the upgrade. I got it for the increased clutch clamping force and torque capacity. I think I've abused the tranny enough so far, I should give it a little help

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:15 PM   #2192
94jeepman
2005 WK 

That's a nice shaft you got there mhmmmm
KHAKI MEMBER #59

The WK mods: SC flashpaq 3870, flow master super 40, 3.5" X Factor leveling kit, 33" M/T baja claws, 17" pro comp wheels, one 12 inch subwoofer, rugged ridge tailight gaurds, rola rack with 18" extension
94jeepman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 11:23 PM   #2193
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

A friend shared an Amazon link with me for amber LED bar filters. I have been wanting a filter for my 40" bar on the roof, but the only filters available until recently were the Rigid ones which didn't fit. The Tough Light bar is not as tall at 3" so the Rigid filters/covers were too big. Well these ones measured 3"x6" and were only $7 each so I figured I'd give them a shot!

Before knowing for sure they would work I didn't want to order enough to cover the whole bar, so I just got 2. They fit just fine so now I can order more with confidence!

Unread 04-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #2194
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

The new drive shaft - looks so much more stout than the oem.

I'd love to get rid of the cv ends on mine. You mentioned "a replaceable ujoint at the diff end" - double cardans are rebuildable as well. More involved but rebuildable unless Carolina uses unspecified parts.

Oh - and not having to pull the cross member to swap the ds would be much easier.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM   #2195
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Omelet, that is one helluva thread you have going. Great creative job on the bison build. My hat is off to you bro. You're a guy that isn't afraid of modding\repairing his own equipment. My attitude has always been.....The damn thing was put together by machinery and humans, so with a little bit of studying up beforehand and getting my hands on the right tools (most important), then I can do it too! I may have missed this in the thread, but where didya score hose LED rear tail light lenses? They look awesome.
Mike
Unread 04-02-2014, 04:01 PM   #2196
Acidcold
2005 WK 

How are you still married?! lol
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:07 AM   #2197
clemsonscj
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
I was just wondering the same thing. I just got my first WK last week and there is so much I want to do to it, but I'm getting married in 2 months so I imagine it is going to stay stock for far too long
clemsonscj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 11:10 AM   #2198
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjokee View Post
Omelet, that is one helluva thread you have going. Great creative job on the bison build. My hat is off to you bro. You're a guy that isn't afraid of modding\repairing his own equipment. My attitude has always been.....The damn thing was put together by machinery and humans, so with a little bit of studying up beforehand and getting my hands on the right tools (most important), then I can do it too! I may have missed this in the thread, but where didya score hose LED rear tail light lenses? They look awesome.
Mike
Thanks bud! The tails I got off ebay years ago. I'm sure they still sell them, don't see why they would have stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonscj View Post
I was just wondering the same thing. I just got my first WK last week and there is so much I want to do to it, but I'm getting married in 2 months so I imagine it is going to stay stock for far too long
Haha, not sure! I've had a Jeep since before I was married and it's just something my wife understands about me. She isn't really needy when it comes to buying stuff (I do like to spoil her with gifts when I can too ) but usually as long as we can pay our bills and meet our daily needs, she doesn't mind what I do with this beast. She doesn't find joy like I do with working on it constantly, be she does love driving it. She is definitely a keeper

Unread 04-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #2199
Jaashua
2005 WK 

If a woman doesn't understand how important these Jeeps are to us, they are not a keeper. My wife complains when I buy new parts but she always chills out when it is installed. She hates the money going away but she loves to see it change.
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 02:50 PM   #2200
jtodaro
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Next up I finally bought and installed a Sonnax transmission line pressure booster. I have been wanting to give it a try for years now, but just never did! I searched around and found one for $42, and after a few days it was at my door.

With daily driving there is a noticeable difference in how firm the up shift is, but it is minimal. Unless you know to feel for the difference, you would never know. It's not like the shift rocks you out of your seat! The shift feel isn't the reason I wanted the upgrade. I got it for the increased clutch clamping force and torque capacity. I think I've abused the tranny enough so far, I should give it a little help
So, what's your impression of the Sonnax unit? Do you have a tuner currently (as I noticed my SC Flashpaq gave a firmer shift)?

2005 Grand Cherokee Limited WK - Black, 5.7 Hemi, 545RFE, 3.73
Black WK Club Member #122 | HEMI Club Member #87
jtodaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2014, 05:27 PM   #2201
Aclow33
2006 WK 

Hey just thought I'd show you how it turned out.

Unread 04-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #2202
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaashua View Post
If a woman doesn't understand how important these Jeeps are to us, they are not a keeper. My wife complains when I buy new parts but she always chills out when it is installed. She hates the money going away but she loves to see it change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtodaro View Post
So, what's your impression of the Sonnax unit? Do you have a tuner currently (as I noticed my SC Flashpaq gave a firmer shift)?
I haven't driven it much lately, but from what I can tell I like it. I am also running the SC tuner with the booster and it doesn't shift with a jolt or anything like that. It does firm up the shift a little, but it's really not too noticeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aclow33 View Post
Hey just thought I'd show you how it turned out
That looks sharp man! Great job!

Unread 04-08-2014, 10:43 PM   #2203
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

So this past weekend I scored some new tire... Finally

If you guys remember back HERE when I went to get the 37" KM2s mounted up only to find that 1 of the 4 tires I got had a hole in it leaving me with a useless set of 3. Ever since then I have been searching around looking for at least one more used KM2 but preferably two more to complete my set. I was having no luck at all, at least not within driving distance for cheap enough to make it worth it. I was VERY close to giving up the search and just having to buy a new set of 37s, something I did not want to do ($$$). If I was buying new then it meant I could pick any tire I wanted and was not limited to what I could find locally used. That was exciting! On my list was MT/Rs, Trepador Radials, Iroks, and General Grabbers. It was a close decision between MT/Rs and Treps, but I decided I wanted the Treps. I never see anyone running them and most of the reviews I read (not many out there) said they were great in the dirt and rock. That was perfect since that is all I wheel in! So I knew the MT/Rs would be a great tire, but I wanted to be different and give the Treps a try Well long story short a fiend sent me a link to a set of 37" Competition Treps that were local. I jumped on them and sent the guy an email! And about a week later I went by checked them out and picked them up! He was asking $850 gave them to me for $800 even.

I'm not too concerned with the tread depth since I know you can groove them out in the center for renewed life. Considering these suckers go for about $500 each when they are new, I'd say this was a great deal especially since I was about to spend $1400 on a set of radials! Depending on how you look at it these could be both good and bad. They are the sticky compound which means EXCELLENT traction but they will wear faster and be more harsh on the drive train. So needless to say I will only be running these on the trail (including driving to and from) and even though I have the RCV shafts going in I will still need to take it easy on the skinny pedal which I already do while wheeling. My driveline is going to be begging me for those Nitro 4.10 gears now too!

Unread 04-09-2014, 08:29 AM   #2204
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Can't wait to see these on! Are you waiting for the RCV's first?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
Unread 04-09-2014, 12:44 PM   #2205
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

That front shaft looks great!

Do you know if they make a U-joint version for those of us with CV's on both ends?

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.