Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 140 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 11-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #2086
stipo
2010 WK 

very nice

stipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #2087
Anon155
2005 WK 

Damn those SRM's are bright! Wish I would have thought of it when I did my retrofit
They'd make great daytime and trail running lights thats for sure
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #2088
CamelMikeWK
2005 WK 

Yea those are nice. Where did you find your pancake tank Nate?
CamelMikeWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:25 PM   #2089
ColoradoGrand05
2005 WK 

Finally finished reading your entire thread. I'll admit it did take me a few days.

You've made my mod wishlist that much longer
ColoradoGrand05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #2090
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Welcome home! Maybe I can sell those yellow rims back to you now that you're going to 37s
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:20 PM   #2091
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok I finally found some time to post my headlight update!

If you remember months back I was playing around with the idea of installing Rigid Industries SR-M2 into my headlamps. I liked the idea and they seemed to fit ok if I left the small clear lens out of the lamp. The biggest problem being that the SR-M2 housing is black and they kind of stood out inside of the chrome reflector.

So I set out to find a spry paint that gave the best chrome look. After lots of searching I settled on Spaz Stix. It is actually made for models that have a clear body. You are supposed to spray the outside with chrome and the inside with high gloss black. Obviously I could not do that with the LED housings. In the end I did decide to use their high gloss black paint, because it is glossier than the Rigid paint and I thought that might help the chrome shine better. So I taped off the lens and wire and shot them with some paint and hung them to dry.

The next step was to apply a few coats of the chrome. I actually found that applying a light dusting of the chrome paint over the black had a cool look. Something I might use later on if I want to change up the chrome pieces on the Jeep

You can see the difference here with the left having multiple coats and the left only a light dust.

And the finished product after a little clear coat. It definitely didn't come out chrome, but it is a shiny silver which looks close to the chrome.

The next step was to remove my hazy headlamps and get to work!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #2092
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

With the headlamps removed I finally got a good look at who much was caked around them! This is what happens when you drive for miles on a road that wasn't ready to be driven on just yet, also while having your inner fender liners removed. I had seen some of the build up before, but couldn't get it it until now. I was able to remove all the tar covered rocks that were flung all over the outside of the Jeep after I got back home, but there was a lot hiding still. Luckily for me my daughter thought it sounded like fun to clean it all off for me

With the lamps apart I started installing the now silver SR-M2s. I found that if I shaved down part of the head on the bolts, it would allow the lights bracket to sit more straight against the back.

I slid a 1 1/8" rubber grommet over the wire to use in the exit hole of the headlamp housing. It didn't fit perfect but I could use some RTV to fill the gaps.

With the LED bolted in you can see how much better it blends in now that it is silver.

The next step was to restore the lens to a crystal clear state again. I had picked up a 3M headlight restore kit months ago and decided to pit it to use. This was after the initial sanding when I was REALLY hoping the product worked as advertised!

And luckily it buffed out just fine after a lot of work.

Once it was all back together and sitting next to the other one I hadn't started yet. (the bad lighting doesn't do it any justice)

Unread 11-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #2093
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Once they were both complete I needed to play with the wiring options to find the right wire combo for the desired function.

With the forward facing signal there are 3 wires used. There is a ground wire, a power wire, and a blinker power wire. I wanted the SR-M2s to blink with the blinker, but not be on all the time when the headlights were on. So I wired the SR-M2 ground to the factory ground and the positive to the blinker power wire. The trick to getting that combo to work was also having a resistor tapped into the positive wire. I also ran a separate positive and negative wire off to the side to use on a switch later on when I remover my amber D2s from the grill. I use the D2s for trail lights, but will be removing them and wanted the option of using the new amber SR-M2s in the headlamps as my trail lights.

Now that all the wiring was figured out and labeled, all I needed to do was plug them in and bolt them back on!

And they are in and work just how I wanted them to!

Unread 11-22-2013, 02:43 PM   #2094
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Looks great!!! Hope to see some night shots later on tonight?!
Unread 11-22-2013, 02:51 PM   #2095
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I'll see what I can get! For now here is the vid I shot the night I wired them in. It's also posted one page back.

http://youtu.be/TU-qyP9--no

Unread 11-22-2013, 07:03 PM   #2096
bhawks28
2009 WK 

As always, great clean work. Awesome stuff.
Unread 11-22-2013, 08:31 PM   #2097
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks a lot guys! I am definitely loving the new look and function!

CamelMikeWK - the pancake tank I got off ebay for something like $50.

Unread 11-22-2013, 11:48 PM   #2098
Rican142
1997 TJ Wrangler 

That's some beautiful labeling you got there omelet
Rican142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #2099
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks bud, that's my CDO coming out again!

Unread 11-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #2100
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I forgot to mention a quick addition/alteration I made to the inside of the lamps while they were open! After I originally installed the '08 lamps there was one thing that would bug me at times. As you can see in the pic below there is some light bleed coming from the upper corner on the side of the lamp. On an unmodified set it's probably not that noticable, but since I painted my side reflectors it's definitely noticable.

So I took some black duct tape and aluminum tape and sort of patched those corners. You can see below how there is a bit of a gap where the light from the low beam can bleed by.

And now as you can see the corner is no longer glowing as it was before. It is darker and makes the amber Jeep logo a lot more pronounced. Mission accomplished!

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.