Yea those are nice. Where did you find your pancake tank Nate?
2005 WK - Metallic Blue - HEMI - 2" RC BB - Rola Rack - 32" Tough Light in front - 10" Led Bar in the back - 245-70-17 Goodyear Wrangler's with Kevlar
Looking for Front Tow Hooks or shackle mounts
Ok I finally found some time to post my headlight update!
If you remember months back I was playing around with the idea of installing Rigid Industries SR-M2 into my headlamps. I liked the idea and they seemed to fit ok if I left the small clear lens out of the lamp. The biggest problem being that the SR-M2 housing is black and they kind of stood out inside of the chrome reflector.
So I set out to find a spry paint that gave the best chrome look. After lots of searching I settled on Spaz Stix. It is actually made for models that have a clear body. You are supposed to spray the outside with chrome and the inside with high gloss black. Obviously I could not do that with the LED housings. In the end I did decide to use their high gloss black paint, because it is glossier than the Rigid paint and I thought that might help the chrome shine better. So I taped off the lens and wire and shot them with some paint and hung them to dry.
The next step was to apply a few coats of the chrome. I actually found that applying a light dusting of the chrome paint over the black had a cool look. Something I might use later on if I want to change up the chrome pieces on the Jeep
You can see the difference here with the left having multiple coats and the left only a light dust.
And the finished product after a little clear coat. It definitely didn't come out chrome, but it is a shiny silver which looks close to the chrome.
The next step was to remove my hazy headlamps and get to work!
With the headlamps removed I finally got a good look at who much was caked around them! This is what happens when you drive for miles on a road that wasn't ready to be driven on just yet, also while having your inner fender liners removed. I had seen some of the build up before, but couldn't get it it until now. I was able to remove all the tar covered rocks that were flung all over the outside of the Jeep after I got back home, but there was a lot hiding still. Luckily for me my daughter thought it sounded like fun to clean it all off for me
With the lamps apart I started installing the now silver SR-M2s. I found that if I shaved down part of the head on the bolts, it would allow the lights bracket to sit more straight against the back.
I slid a 1 1/8" rubber grommet over the wire to use in the exit hole of the headlamp housing. It didn't fit perfect but I could use some RTV to fill the gaps.
With the LED bolted in you can see how much better it blends in now that it is silver.
The next step was to restore the lens to a crystal clear state again. I had picked up a 3M headlight restore kit months ago and decided to pit it to use. This was after the initial sanding when I was REALLY hoping the product worked as advertised!
And luckily it buffed out just fine after a lot of work.
Once it was all back together and sitting next to the other one I hadn't started yet. (the bad lighting doesn't do it any justice)
Once they were both complete I needed to play with the wiring options to find the right wire combo for the desired function.
With the forward facing signal there are 3 wires used. There is a ground wire, a power wire, and a blinker power wire. I wanted the SR-M2s to blink with the blinker, but not be on all the time when the headlights were on. So I wired the SR-M2 ground to the factory ground and the positive to the blinker power wire. The trick to getting that combo to work was also having a resistor tapped into the positive wire. I also ran a separate positive and negative wire off to the side to use on a switch later on when I remover my amber D2s from the grill. I use the D2s for trail lights, but will be removing them and wanted the option of using the new amber SR-M2s in the headlamps as my trail lights.
Now that all the wiring was figured out and labeled, all I needed to do was plug them in and bolt them back on!
And they are in and work just how I wanted them to!
I forgot to mention a quick addition/alteration I made to the inside of the lamps while they were open! After I originally installed the '08 lamps there was one thing that would bug me at times. As you can see in the pic below there is some light bleed coming from the upper corner on the side of the lamp. On an unmodified set it's probably not that noticable, but since I painted my side reflectors it's definitely noticable.
So I took some black duct tape and aluminum tape and sort of patched those corners. You can see below how there is a bit of a gap where the light from the low beam can bleed by.
And now as you can see the corner is no longer glowing as it was before. It is darker and makes the amber Jeep logo a lot more pronounced. Mission accomplished!