Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 129 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #1921
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Sure thing bud! I don't think I have even seen your WK. How's it set up?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 02:45 PM   #1922
ChopprJock
2005 WK 

Nate,

First, thanks for your service and get home safely! I recently retired from the Army and I know the strain of multiple deployments, so those of you still serving are very appreciated...

Dude, I love your WK!! That thing is sick. I picked up a used 2005 Hemi model this week, then spent two days reading your entire build thread. Awesome job! And the hyperlinks on the front page are a great timesaver for those of us with plans on using some of your mods. I just bought an OME HD set up from Kolak based on your recommendations and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. Can't wait to start making my WK look like they are supposed to

Lyn
OME HD
255/75/17's on JK Rubicon wheels
ChopprJock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 05:17 PM   #1923
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

It is bone stock and will be gone in a year or two. I'm not allowed to modify it because all my other vehicles are :O. The lady said so and just got told no go on the bumper but it is still available if someone is interested.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-09-2013, 08:24 AM   #1924
USN_BlackWK
FLY NAVY

2010 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Well the bar is in CO and I live in CA, so I am not sure that qualifies as out my way I haven't seen a single one out in Cali which is why I jumped on this one when it was posted, well that and the incredible price. There were two bars that were posted, this one was $300 and there was a $500 one as well. The other one looked to be painted khaki already which would have been nice but since I plan to do a bit of work to it, it will need to be painted again. A lot of things I plan to do will be similar to what Rob (USN_BlackWK) did to his. As of right now I think I can use the mounting bracket as part of a new winch cradle and then sell my current cradle, but I won't know that for sure until I start working on it.
Nice! Well we will have to compare notes as I also plan to do the winch cradle when I get back in 6 months! Yeah, looking at the mounting bracket, I think it will be pretty easy to cut out the middle of the bracket and weld in a mounting plate for the winch with some supporting gussets. I'll probably add a few more mounting bolts along the unibody rails to ensure it stays fixed. Oh well, plenty of time to plan and sketch while hiding from the dust storms
Borla-S
USN_BlackWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:48 AM   #1925
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
So a few weeks back the cover on my rock light switch broke off. I took the opportunity to check out OTRATTW's new switch covers and see if they were any better. Once I got the new cover I compared it to the old.

Old on the left and new on the right:

It appears to be a little more hardy than the old cover. Anyone who has used this type of switch for a while knows the cover will easily break loose if whacked. The clips that hold the cover to the switch look to be slightly thicker and the clear plastic seems harder and less brittle compared to the blue plastic.

Time will tell whether or not these last longer. In the mean time I also ordered their "Passenger Eject" cover for the switch that currently has no purpose and their "Tiki Mask" cover which will probably find it's way into the rear. I have already received a few inquiries from some concerned passengers

I now plan to place another order to replace the rest of my switch covers
How have the switches held up so far? im getting ready to order some and now im not sure on which ones to get. Also, i know that on the older switches the botton light strip can be wired to light up when the car is turned on and the image light lit up when the switch is on but can the same be done with the new ones?
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:12 AM   #1926
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin

How have the switches held up so far? im getting ready to order some and now im not sure on which ones to get. Also, i know that on the older switches the botton light strip can be wired to light up when the car is turned on and the image light lit up when the switch is on but can the same be done with the new ones?
I'm also getting some soon and wondering how to make the bottom light come on when the car comes on, but then the actuator light come on when the switch is active.
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #1927
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopprJock View Post
Nate,

First, thanks for your service and get home safely! I recently retired from the Army and I know the strain of multiple deployments, so those of you still serving are very appreciated...

Dude, I love your WK!! That thing is sick. I picked up a used 2005 Hemi model this week, then spent two days reading your entire build thread. Awesome job! And the hyperlinks on the front page are a great timesaver for those of us with plans on using some of your mods. I just bought an OME HD set up from Kolak based on your recommendations and I'm anxiously awaiting its arrival. Can't wait to start making my WK look like they are supposed to

Lyn
Awesome bud, glad you enjoyed it! I'm always glad when people find my work helpful, I mean that's why I take the time to post it all here I just replied to your thread you started. Can't wait to see another lifted WK among us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
It is bone stock and will be gone in a year or two. I'm not allowed to modify it because all my other vehicles are :O. The lady said so and just got told no go on the bumper but it is still available if someone is interested.
Haha, I know what you mean! Mine is getting to the point to where my wife is starting to question why she ever let me mod this one So why are you getting rid of it? Time to move on to a newer one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by USN_BlackWK View Post
Nice! Well we will have to compare notes as I also plan to do the winch cradle when I get back in 6 months! Yeah, looking at the mounting bracket, I think it will be pretty easy to cut out the middle of the bracket and weld in a mounting plate for the winch with some supporting gussets. I'll probably add a few more mounting bolts along the unibody rails to ensure it stays fixed. Oh well, plenty of time to plan and sketch while hiding from the dust storms
I have reviewed your build on yours a few times! I wish I could study it in person to really understand the clearance it has everywhere. It's hard to simply see it from all the pics. How far in front of the headlamp is the guard? Would it be possible to move the bumper back another 0.5-1"? I know you were close when it came to the fog light bracket clearance. Is there anything you would have done differently if you did it again? Looking at the different pics I could find of the bumper bracket, it looks like adding a winch will be fairly easy compared to what I did before. I plan to mount it in the same spot, not to the bumper itself. It's difficult to see how everything will fit simply from the pics, I will have a much better idea whether or not my plans will work when I get home and get my hands on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
How have the switches held up so far? I'm getting ready to order some and now I'm not sure on which ones to get. Also, i know that on the older switches the bottom light strip can be wired to light up when the car is turned on and the image light lit up when the switch is on but can the same be done with the new ones?
They are holding up great, much better than the old blue ones! The switches I am using are the same, the only difference is the actual cover. The new laser engraved covers and the older style will both mount to the same switch. Also have you seen the WK specific covers I added more recently?!

Unread 06-11-2013, 08:37 AM   #1928
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

The switches should be the same for both covers, you can use either the older square or newer rounded cover with the switch body. however the switch body does have wires for the top and botttom lights (I made sure I bought the ones that said ARB configuration). I have mine wired so were the top light comes on with the parking/headlights, and the bottom comes on when the switch is turn on.
ca07wk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #1929
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
I'm also getting some soon and wondering how to make the bottom light come on when the car comes on, but then the actuator light come on when the switch is active.
There are two different posts. One is for the illumination and the other is for switch power. Basically there are 3 posts on one side (the left I think) the top is the ground, middle is outgoing power to the relay, and the bottom is the incoming power. On the other side there are 2 post, the top is ground, and the bottom is power of the illumination. So if you want the switch to only light up when the dash lights are on, then you need to run a wire from a dash light source to the illumination post. Then have the bottom left post get power from an ACC/ignition source. Or if you want to wire them like mine, i simply ran the same ACC wire to both bottom posts so if the Jeep is on the switch illumination is also on. If that makes sense?!

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #1930
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

They are holding up great, much better than the old blue ones! The switches I am using are the same, the only difference is the actual cover. The new laser engraved covers and the older style will both mount to the same switch. Also have you seen the WK specific covers I added more recently?![/QUOTE]

I havnt seen them yet haha its been a while since ive went through your build thread again. Started where i left off on page 90 something so have missed quite a bit. any idea which page its on off the top of your head??
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #1931
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Also im sorry to keep bothering you but how much was it per switch for the Wk switches? i seen the Contura V switches are $15 so im assuming its the same or more
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #1932
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
There are two different posts. One is for the illumination and the other is for switch power. Basically there are 3 posts on one side (the left I think) the top is the ground, middle is outgoing power to the relay, and the bottom is the incoming power. On the other side there are 2 post, the top is ground, and the bottom is power of the illumination. So if you want the switch to only light up when the dash lights are on, then you need to run a wire from a dash light source to the illumination post. Then have the bottom left post get power from an ACC/ignition source. Or if you want to wire them like mine, i simply ran the same ACC wire to both bottom posts so if the Jeep is on the switch illumination is also on. If that makes sense?!
This makes sense to me! Hopefully I'll be able to order them soon, how hard was running the wires up to the dome area? Did ou just go through the A-pillar and across the headliner?
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #1933
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Omelet has a great wiring diagram some where in this monster of a build thread.
ca07wk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #1934
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

I remember seeing it once
Unread 06-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #1935
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

delete

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.