Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 124 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 04-18-2013, 02:58 PM   #1846
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Well what length MLL do you have right now? If they extend to 28" then they will work fine on the SL.
Nah, I'm just going to do a little more research. The coils force them to their max extension as is. And without knowing exactly how the SL generates its lift and how the relocate the stuff, I can't say whether that's a good idea or not - i'm not sure if this make sense. I'm just going to use what they provide and see what the relocation brackets and everything do for the rear shocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
I never got a chance to go wheeling when I was in MO!
Depending on how much free time I have, I might not either, lmao. I want a 2014 too, but the only one I want is in the trim I can't afford, lmao.

Unread 04-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #1847
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidcold View Post
Lol.. I'll be back in a month or so, but in a 2014 model
Oh please tell me you're getting the diesel?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJeepZJ View Post
Nah, I'm just going to do a little more research. The coils force them to their max extension as is. And without knowing exactly how the SL generates its lift and how the relocate the stuff, I can't say whether that's a good idea or not - i'm not sure if this make sense. I'm just going to use what they provide and see what the relocation brackets and everything do for the rear shocks.
There is plenty of room for the MLLs if that is the route you feel like going. I have the Fox remote reservoir shocks in there and they clear just fine. I didn't actually measure the thickness of the SL rear coils compared to the OME HD coils, but they looked to be very similar in size. The OMEs are maybe slightly thicker, but the SL coils are longer.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 05:22 PM   #1848
Acidcold
2005 WK 

Sorry Nath, it will be the 3.6, my wife has no need for power I want our new burn (due june 23) to be in the safest vehicle possible. I did steer her away from the x5
I am thinking of a crd wk for myself to mess with tho.. I miss the ride with the SL, nothing like it. If I talk myself out of that, I would love a can-am side by side ))
Acidcold is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:51 PM   #1849
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Time for some updates!

One of my 35s was looking a little weathered so I wanted to swap it out. I hunted around locally but only found ones from guys asking way too much ($700 each!!!). SO I started looking around else where and found a guy online selling two of them. I didn't really need two, but he gave me a great deal on the pair that I couldn't pass up. Unlike the last set of five I got these two are new! Once I got them I swapped out the one that was iffy and the next worse one.

Since these are new, you can see the difference in the grooving between it and the mud cut under it and then the dirt cut under that.

Unread 04-26-2013, 11:22 AM   #1850
twistedlizard72
2007 WK 

Is that a 32" spare up under there still?

WANTED: Steel Armadillo Sliders/Rock rails.
twistedlizard72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #1851
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

So I have been wanting to do a type of side exit exhaust for some time now. I have been thinking up different ideas and seeing what others have done (mostly Baja/PreRunner rigs) trying to figure out exactly what and how I wanted to accomplish it. The main benefit to doing this is to move the tailpipe from under the bumper where I keep smashing it into the bumper every time I go wheeling. The other reasons are because I think it would look and work awesome and I haven't seen any one do it yet on a WK let along most Jeeps. I really liked how the Zone Comanche in the Ultimate Adventure turned out (I have always wanted to build one and I love what they did with this one) so my plan was to do something similar.

I also wanted to get a new longer resonator installed. So I figured I would swap out my old 3" x 8" reso for a new 3" x 12" reso while I was at it. First thing to do was to cut out the old one and get the new one in and see what kind of space I was dealing with.

The plan was to get it as high up as possible to accommodate further bumper mods later on. There is a pinch weld back there that I decided to cut and fold up to create more room and also a mounting point.

Now for the fun part! I had to figure out exactly where the pipe was going to be coming out at. Once I figured that out I masked the area off and found the center. Then I brought out the drill and the massive hole saw again

Oh boy! This time I used a 3.5" hole, figuring I was going to use a 3" pipe this would give me some wiggle room.

Oh look, the reso!

Now that I had the hole cut I needed a bezel. I used some aluminum I had laying around and cut the center hole using the same 3.5" saw, then made another circle 1" out from there at 5.5" and cut it with a jigsaw.

If you noticed the pipe will be coming out of the bumper along a crease, so I had to bend the bezel to match. I didn't want to just use my hands and bend it in half because the crease isn't a sharp angle, it's more of a gradual bend. So I decided to place the bezel between to 4x4s, grab one of my sledges, and using the wider side of the handle push down creating a gradual bend. After a couple of tries slowly bending it more and more, it was perfect and matched the crease in the bumper very nicely!

For the tip I used a section of 3" pipe that was made with a slip on end. The pipe it's self is 3" but one of the ends is about 3.25". So I decided to use the wider end as the tip. That would still give me a little room around the outside between the bezel. It would be tight but I didn't want a huge gap. Then because it would eventually turn black anyways, I painted to tip flat black.

Next up was to figure out the mount. I didn't want the tip wiggling around inside of the hole so I planned to use the pinch weld and bolt the tip to it for stability. I planned to use a type of band clamp to couple the tip ti the reso, so all I needed to do was to make a mount to go from the clamp to the PW.

Once the paint dried I mounted it up. Then all it needed was some fine tuning once the bezel was in place.

Unread 04-26-2013, 02:07 PM   #1852
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now for the finishing touch, the bezel! I lined up the bezel with the hole and marked off where I wanted to the rivets to be.

After using a center punch, drilling a pilot hole, and widening each hole for the size of the rivets it was good to go.

Now I am not very experienced with riveting so maybe it is the aluminum rivets or maybe I just suck at doing this, but I had 3 rivets that snapped the stem off at the end instead of inside the rivet like they are supposed to.

So I had to get out the dremel and cut them flush the use a small drill bit and counter sink them so they looked the same as the others. That turned out ok, maybe it is just my OCD (or CDO if you'd prefer it in alphabetical order )

After getting the bezel buttoned up, I just had to adjust the exhaust tip and tighten everything down. Now for the finished pics!!!

In the end it turned out pretty much how I was envisioning! It is up high enough for my future plans and out of harms way while wheeling. I will drive it around for the next few day and see if it settles at all, because I might need to adjust it a little. I am undecided on whether to leave the bezel unpainted or I might decide to take it off and paint it graphite to match other parts of the Jeep, then reinstall it leaving the rivets silver. I'm just not sure how well the paint will hold up to the heat. The other thing I might try to knock out it filling in the gap where the exhaust tip used to be with a painted piece of plastic so it doesn't stand out. I plan to trim the bumper when I get home so I will just end up cutting it back out, but if it annoys me enough within the next week I might just do it.

Unread 04-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #1853
Jaashua
2005 WK 

"Master Key"
Jaashua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 02:23 PM   #1854
sk1er18
2007 XK Commander 

Keep going at this rate and your username is going to have to change to swiss-cheese-omelet.

BTW, what setting have you been running on your shocks? I installed mine last weekend, valved 40/80 and with the CD adjuster set at 1 i felt the compression was a bit soft. Going to up it to the highest setting and then start backing it down from there for the best DD ride.
Unread 04-26-2013, 05:45 PM   #1855
RagtagGuy
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedlizard72 View Post
Is that a 32" spare up under there still?
That's a round air tank fit inside the wheel. I believe a 33
RagtagGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 06:18 PM   #1856
lekmedm
2007 XK Commander 

Wait... Nate, will a 33" wheel fit in the spare tire location???
2007 Commander Overland / 4" SuperLift / 285/70R17 Wrangler Silent Armors / Rusty's adjustable rear UCAs / Caroline Driveline front drive shaft / Flashpaq / Activated: DRLs & Tilting Mirrors / Autolite Iridiums / Cobra 29 Chrome CB & Firestik antenna / Rear fog lights / Mopar Grille Guard with HID driving lights / Sylvania Silverstars Ultra hi/low & yellow fogs / Optima yellow top
"4 wheel drive does not mean 4 wheel stop!" -Lee Goldberg, WABC TV weatherman
lekmedm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #1857
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

A 255 75 will fit deflated
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #1858
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

I don't think he has a full spare when wheeling yes but otherwise he would have to limp around
Unread 04-26-2013, 10:28 PM   #1859
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Nice work with the side exhaust, Nate!

Seen this type of thing on XJs but never on a WK.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2013, 02:54 AM   #1860
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

I love the exhaust and the snorkel but there is no way I'm putting 3 inch holes in the body of the jeep. ( well maybe )

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.