Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 119 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #1771
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok enough teasing

Even though I don't live in a wet area or do any river fording, there are other benefits to snorkels that most don't think of when you think "snorkel". They are also great for keeping your intake filter cleaner. Particularly on those trail runs when you are behind other Jeeps who are kicking up clouds of dust. Not having your intake pulling in the air from your grill or fender well and instead pulling from roof height makes a big difference! Of course there is also the other reason... THEY LOOK AWESOME!!! Now we all know about the Airflow snorkel that has been out for a while:

Well no offense to anyone, but personally I think they look like a big turd or growth on the side of the Jeep! Not only that, but until repentantly they were about $600 (they are now around $500). So even though I have wanted a snorkel for some time now 1. there was no way I was ging to shell out $600 for that hideous thing 2. the wife refused to allow it on the Jeep (not that I was even trying to talk her into it) 3. I just didn't NEED one that bad.

I had decided that I would get creative with fiberglass at some point after completing a few more of my big projects of the Jeep I had been planning. That is until I found a guy on FB in Venezuela (I think) who was using something different. I tried to get as much info out of him as I could, which in the end wasn't much He said he used a Safari SS165-HF for an ISUZU D-MAX, but that his was fiberglass or something After looking at some not so clear FB pics and checking out Safari's site I wasn't so sure. I started looking at other models that Safari made and thought the SS160-HF for a diesel Rodeo actually looked better. SO I contacted our awesome bud Nick Kolak and he was about to really hook me up on one up in WA A few days later I picked it up from UPS just in time for the weekend!

Time to see what I was dealing with.

Originally I figured I would mount the actual snorkel and then use 4" pipe inside the fender to connect it to the filter box. After seeing just how much room I had to deal with in there, I might need to try and use the included inner piece. For now I turned all my attention to first seeing if this was even going to mount and line up right, and second making sure I wasn't going to butcher the fender and/or the snorkel in the process.

I started by removing the ORT8 badge and stripe on the passenger side. Then cleaned off all the goo and applied a layer of painters tape. I also removed the antenna.

The included template was a little too rigid for the curved fender of the WK, so I grabbed a piece of paper and made my own. Then I cut out the 4" hole so I could lay it flat against the back side of the snorkel and trace the edges of the snorkel on the paper. That way I could hold the snorkel right where I thought I wanted it and then tape the paper in place on the fender while visually lining up the edges. This insured me that the holes I needed to drill would be in the correct place. This also helped to see where I was going to be drilling on the fender so I could keep an eye on the lines and curves.

I had contemplated the idea of buying a fender off eBay to bolt on and use an a first draft, but ended up decided I didn't want to wait and if I took my time, then it should be fine. The big issue was that the snorkel has a 4" tube coming off the back of it that is an inch or two in length. This made it very difficult to properly see where and how the snorkel was actually going to lay on the fender and A-pillar. After adjusting the template many times. Standing back and looking. Re-adjusting and looking some more. Having the wife weigh in with her thoughts. Then looking at it some more. I finally decided to get the drill and do it already!

This took a bit of a gut check, but it needed to be done in order to really see how it was going to fit. I figured that if needed I still had some room to play with moving the snorkel around before you could see a hole sticking out the side of it

THERE I DID IT!!! Now the snorkel can lay flat and I can really see how she was going to fit. Before drilling the three mounting bolt holes I needed to make sure it was going to fit tight against the fender while also hitting the A-pillar correctly to bolt on. So I loosely mounted the included bracket to the snorkel and lined it up, only to find that the bracket wasn't going to work (not that I was surprised). So I pulled the weather stripping off the pillar and took some measurements. I first made a bracket out of cardboard then used a spare piece of aluminum.

After a few times holding it in place, pulling the bracket off to bend it, then holding it back up. I had this at the end.

The bracket happened to line up with one of the small screws holding the weather strip on. However the plastic needed to be modified slightly for a tight fit.

After being very careful with the dremel I ended up with this.

Now that I had the bracket finished I could continue fitting the snorkel. I replaced the small screw with a larger self tapping one. I will use two more later one so there will be three screws holding it in later, but for now I just needed the one to hold it in place. This was the first time I could mount it and stand back to see how it looked!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #1772
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Finally, I was so close! Now I pressed the snorkel against the Jeep good and tight to make sure this was where I wanted it before going any farther. I liked it so I only needed to adjust the template slightly using the outline I did before as a reference, and tape it down again.

Then I pulled the snorkel off, used a punch to mark the center of the bolt holes, and started drilling. I drilled them slightly larger than they needed to be so I wouldn't have any trouble getting all three to line up. Then I cleaned up the back side of all the cuts.

It was finally time to remove the tape and get the snorkel mounted with all the hardware.

First thing I did was place the snorkel on the Jeep and secure it with the A-pillar bracket.

Then put the weather strip back in place.

And made sure the door would still close

I plan to take it back off and paint the bracket and bolts black so they blend in.

I did a great job making the template, lining it up, and drilling the holes, because all three bolts went in no problem! Once they were all securely fastened here is how it looked.

It doesn't fit like a glove, but it definitely fits better than I was expecting. I thought I was going to NEED to whip out the bondo and fill in all the spots where it didn't sit flush and had huge gaps.

The hood does touch it when it's up, but that's not a problem. It also sits a little high so there is a gap over the top of the hood, but that was necessary. If I would have brought it down any more the bottom of the snorkel wouldn't have lined up with the fender where it flares out. Which would have made mounting more difficult and there would have been more noticeable gaps around all the sides. So I can live with the gap on top, and if not then I will whip out the bondo

Now for some different angles. The light was failing so the quality isn't that great.

This is just phase one! Phase two will be actually plumbing it into the filter box which I hope to get to here soon. Also, for anyone wanting to do this same thing I did keep the painters take intact and plan to make a template that I can mail off to anyone interested. That way most of the guess work is out of it. You will just need to line it up on your fender using the contours, and drill away That is at a small fee

Unread 03-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #1773
rubiconkid4x4
2007 WK 

And.. once again, another great mod that Omelet started that others will imitate. This is a very, very impressive mod, leader of the pack!! (again)
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #1774
sixfoot9psu
2005 WK 

That definitely looks like it was made for the wk! I agree that the other one is hideous!
'05 GC 5.7L Hemi QDII...Rock Krawler lift, 4XGuard Matrix, rock sliders, front and rear skids, belly guard, rear diff guard, Bilstein HDs, Volant intake, 265/70 Goodyear DuraTracs, Superchips, Rola roof rack, BORA wheel spacers, Rocky Road Leveling Spacers, Magnaflow muffler, KC Slimlights, BT catch can, tb cover, and underhood kit, Expanded Sheet Metal Grille
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/sixfoot9psus-build-thread-1341203/"]Build Thread[/URL]

'09 G8 GT 6.0L...Kooks Headers, Rotofab intake, SLP exhaust, Vector Motorsports Tune
sixfoot9psu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 06:57 AM   #1775
BAH101
2008 WK 

Count me in for one of those templates.
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #1776
06JeepXKHEMI
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Usually not a fan of snorkels on both the XK and WK but this looks pretty slick! Great work..
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:14 AM   #1777
christiang26
2009 WK 

That one looks great.

Is this the wk that has the fiberglass snorkel from a d-max?
image-349455553.jpg  
christiang26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #1778
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Yep that's the one! His Jeep is a bright green now. He commented on one of my posts last night and apparently his IS a custom fiberglass snorkel that was based off the D-max design.

Thanks for the great comments! Hopefully the rest of it will turn out just as awesome.

Unread 03-26-2013, 08:44 AM   #1779
05WKinPA
2005 WK 

Hmmm....needs some pvc.....and the air intake should be INSIDE the cabin! Lol
Unread 03-26-2013, 08:46 AM   #1780
cherrybomb05
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05WKinPA
Hmmm....needs some pvc.....and the air intake should be INSIDE the cabin! Lol
cherrybomb05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #1781
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Very very nice... Can't wait to do this mod someday! Looks really good brother.
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The Punisher[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]05 WK 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Volant CAI[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]2" Rough Country[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Bilstein Struts[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]265/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ASFIR Suspension, front diff. Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar Fuel Tank, T-case Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar (Borla) Exhaust[/COLOR]
LilOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #1782
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Thanks bro! I can't wait until we get back and can tinker together

Unread 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #1783
K9SAR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

That snorkel really looks great! Gonna have to add that to the wish list. Your description of most of the other snorkels I've seen was spot on, putting the ugh in ugly (just my 2 cents worth)... heheheheheh

Pulled the trigger on the AEV/ SL lift w/ 6" JBA springs and am wondering if I could PM you for some details.

Tim
'06 Overland 5.7 Hemi / QDII / Silver WK Member #59, LED Backup lights, AEV Argent Pintlers, Floor liners. Gibson 3" Stainless Steel Exhaust, 6" Hybrid Superlift / OME lift, 6" JBA rear springs, JBA UCA's, 35x12.5/17 Goodyear MTR's, Steel Armadillo Rock Sliders, 4xGuard Bash Plates
K9SAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #1784
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Very nice job....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-30-2013, 10:13 PM   #1785
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9SAR View Post
That snorkel really looks great! Gonna have to add that to the wish list. Your description of most of the other snorkels I've seen was spot on, putting the ugh in ugly (just my 2 cents worth)... heheheheheh

Pulled the trigger on the AEV/ SL lift w/ 6" JBA springs and am wondering if I could PM you for some details.

Tim
Sure thing bud, hit me up with whatever questions you have. I mean everyone else already does

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Very nice job....
Thankd a lot bud!

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.