Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 118 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-23-2013, 03:23 AM   #1756
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Looks good brother! I will need to do this sooner or later, I keep getting nervous that all this salt in the winter will start corroding my engine bay a lot quicker.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The Punisher[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]05 WK 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Volant CAI[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]2" Rough Country[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Bilstein Struts[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]265/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ASFIR Suspension, front diff. Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar Fuel Tank, T-case Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar (Borla) Exhaust[/COLOR]
LilOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 12:48 PM   #1757
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc653 View Post
Looks good. Is the tire grocer just a hot knife?
Pretty much! Without the blade the end just get really hot and works greats for melting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilOmelet View Post
Looks good brother! I will need to do this sooner or later, I keep getting nervous that all this salt in the winter will start corroding my engine bay a lot quicker.
Thanks bro! I finally got the motivation to put some back in after driving on a road that was covered with little rocks coated in fresh tar. Those little guys flung EVERYWHERE!!!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #1758
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Yesterday I finally got around to installing the new rear LCAs I have had sitting around for the past month! I have been wanting some better arms with quality rubber bushings on the frame end and flex joints on the axle end. I did some measuring and browsing on Rusty's site, then placed a custom order for these:

The frame end is a OEM rubber bushing and the axle end is their 2.5" forged flex joint, exactly what I was looking for! Now the stock arm measures 17.25" from eye to eye.

And the SL arm measures 17.75" from eye to eye.

So the SL arms are fixed at .5" longer than stock. I decided to have my arms made at 17" eye to eye when fully collapsed for plenty of adjustability.

For the instal I like to use a ratchet strap to keep the axle from moving around on me. I planned to adjust these to 17.75" just like the SL arms I was removing. So if I could keep the axle from moving around it was going to be as simple as unbolting and removing the SL arms, then positioning and bolting in the new arms. I removed and installed one arm at a time, not removing both arms at the same time

With the SL arm out I was able to get a good side by side shot of all of them.

You will notice how the SL arm is bent, that is so the sway bar link doesn't contact the arms while flexing. I plan to disconnect whenever I go wheeling so by using a straight arm I will gain a little of ground clearance. I adjusted the new arm to 17.75" and got it positioned in the brackets.

The 2.5" forged flex joint fit like a glove in the axle mount!

The rubber end was slightly loose so I added a 1/8" washer on one side to make it fit good and tight.

The flex end is equipped with a zerk fitting to keep it well greased. I was about to position the joint with the zerk on top out of harms way, and rotate the zerk so it was easy to get the gun on it while bolted in place.

And there we have it! Shiny new and flexy arms

After seeing just how beautiful these things turned out I am thinking of getting a pair of upper ones made to match! I want to go out and test flex this thing first though. If it flexes good enough then I might wait, but if it could still do better then the uppers will get swapped too

Unread 03-23-2013, 10:05 PM   #1759
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Thumbs up....
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:23 PM   #1760
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I really like the range of motion that the axle ends on the new LCAs provide. Are your uppers longer than stock and what does this do to your pinion angle? Also - PM sent.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:31 PM   #1761
BobG97
2005 WK 

Very nice, what did those set you back? Also, is the bend in the SL arm ONLY to clear the sway bar?
BobG97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #1762
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
Thumbs up....
Thanks bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
I really like the range of motion that the axle ends on the new LCAs provide. Are your uppers longer than stock and what does this do to your pinion angle? Also - PM sent.
Right now I am still running the stock rear UCAs, but I am using the SL brackets. Running these arms at the same 17.75" measurement as the SL arms means my pinion angle will be the same as before. Aslo - PM replied

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG97 View Post
Very nice, what did those set you back? Also, is the bend in the SL arm ONLY to clear the sway bar?
I stole them for $215! From what I read and was told during the SL revision and testing, that was the only reason for the bend.

Unread 03-24-2013, 11:11 PM   #1763
jjt250
2007 WK 

Hey Omelet, I want to add a winch to my WK in the future and really wanted to do a hidden setup like yours. However, due to my intercooler, it looks like I have 6, maybe 6.5 inches to work with whereas you have way more room. I don't want to add a steel bumper due to the weight and cost, and I don't want a front hitch with a cradle, but it doesn't look like I have a lot of choices. Do you have any ideas?

And a few questions about skids: did you and Jon ever work out a belly skid that fits WKs? And also, does your gen 4x Rear Guard not allow you to lower your spare tire while it's in place? I much prefer the design of your gen rear guard but that's kind of annoying that you have to take it off if you ever need the spare.
Unread 03-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #1764
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Hey Omelet, I want to add a winch to my WK in the future and really wanted to do a hidden setup like yours. However, due to my intercooler, it looks like I have 6, maybe 6.5 inches to work with whereas you have way more room. I don't want to add a steel bumper due to the weight and cost, and I don't want a front hitch with a cradle, but it doesn't look like I have a lot of choices. Do you have any ideas?
Omelet and I sketched out a hidden mount that might still work with our CRD intercoolers.. And then I got relocated 700 miles into colder climes and stuffed in temp housing, and I haven't had a chance to build a mock up to validate that it does, indeed, fit behind the bumper.

He nudged me the other day about this, so I guess I need to brave the cruddy weather and get back to work on this..
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

[QUOTE=bhoch]...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid. [/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=DeansWings]Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.[/QUOTE]
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 07:46 PM   #1765
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post
Omelet and I sketched out a hidden mount that might still work with our CRD intercoolers.. And then I got relocated 700 miles into colder climes and stuffed in temp housing, and I haven't had a chance to build a mock up to validate that it does, indeed, fit behind the bumper.

He nudged me the other day about this, so I guess I need to brave the cruddy weather and get back to work on this..
What he said!!! We have a plan and I have a cardboard moch-up that we are hoping will work out. Someone. . . *cough*. . . *cough*. . . tom. . . needs to get on it already so we know for sure. Then others like yourself will be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is a hidden winch!

Quote:
And a few questions about skids: did you and Jon ever work out a belly skid that fits WKs? And also, does your gen 4x Rear Guard not allow you to lower your spare tire while it's in place? I much prefer the design of your gen rear guard but that's kind of annoying that you have to take it off if you ever need the spare.
I haven't heard back from Jon for about a week now (thanks for reminding me). But he has pics and measurements that he is working with. Another guy with the 3.7L (V6) was able to get the XK skid to work on his WK, so it is something different about the WK Hemi cats that interfere. I don't think anyone has tried the XK skid on a WK CRD yet. It would probably work because you guys don't have cats, right? If you are interested to try let me know, I still have the skid!

Unread 03-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #1766
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I will have a punch of pics and info up in a little bit about my latest mod in progress! . . .

Unread 03-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #1767
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
I will have a punch of pics and info up in a little bit about my latest mod in progress! . . .
Is it a device to secure your wallet to the jeep?
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:42 PM   #1768
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
Excited to see this!!
Unread 03-25-2013, 08:50 PM   #1769
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Prototype? The WK/WH isnt listed on thier site. I like the way that mounts alot better then the other snorkle available
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #1770
jjt250
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinShep View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
What he said!!! We have a plan and I have a cardboard moch-up that we are hoping will work out. Someone. . . *cough*. . . *cough*. . . tom. . . needs to get on it already so we know for sure. Then others like yourself will be able to enjoy the awesomeness that is a hidden winch!

I haven't heard back from Jon for about a week now (thanks for reminding me). But he has pics and measurements that he is working with. Another guy with the 3.7L (V6) was able to get the XK skid to work on his WK, so it is something different about the WK Hemi cats that interfere. I don't think anyone has tried the XK skid on a WK CRD yet. It would probably work because you guys don't have cats, right? If you are interested to try let me know, I still have the skid!
I would love to hear more about this! How much room is necessary for a winch like yours? As far as I can tell there is only like 6 inches to work with. If you make more progress on this please be sure to share it with the rest of the CRD guys!

Omelet, yes our CRDs have cats so I'm not sure of the fitment. I'm probably gonna get a GDE tune before I get any skids though, but thanks for the offer!

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.