Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 115 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 03-02-2013, 12:03 AM   #1711
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Maybe . . . ! I just got a few things. Now I need to start updating my thread

Sent from my Batmobile!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #1712
jsice78
2006 WK 

I took my air damn off and now want to get a set of the aluminum steel armadillo skids to put on and you do such good writeups that I know I will get a set after seeing them on your jeep. I installed my Cree reverse bulbs yesterday one of the best mods so far. Should of came stock that way.
jsice78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 01:12 PM   #1713
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsice78 View Post
Should of came stock that way.
haha I feel this about a lot of Nathan's mods
Unread 03-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #1714
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsice78 View Post
I took my air damn off and now want to get a set of the aluminum steel armadillo skids to put on and you do such good writeups that I know I will get a set after seeing them on your jeep. I installed my Cree reverse bulbs yesterday one of the best mods so far. Should of came stock that way.
Thanks! Those Crees are the bees knees Unfortunately Jon's new belly skid was designed using his XK and it doesn't fit the WK, YET. I am working with him to get a working model. It should be available in a couple of weeks. The cats on the XK and WK are different enough that the skid didn't quite bolt on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
haha I feel this about a lot of Nathan's mods
Haha, so true! There are so many little things out there that would have made this Jeep so much better coming from the factory with them. Of course then there would be less things to mod

Unread 03-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #1715
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Ok time for some of the new upgrade!

First up I placed an order with JBA/4xG for a set of their full length 6" rear coils. I have been running the SL 4" coils with a set of poly spacers chopped down to 1.5" which was getting me a 25" hub-fender measurement. I called JBA to talk to them about their coils in hopes that the 6" coils they make would give similar lift measurements. Fortunately they had Chris' old Jeep there for comparison. Apparently they haven't installed their 8" coils onto their 8" lifted Jeep yet...weird? So they came back with a hub-fender measurement (after subtracting the spacer) with 25", which was great news. So that meant that without any extra rear weight I would at least get the lift I wanted. My only fear was getting more lift than desired. So their 6" coils will give you a 5" rear lift, exactly what I wanted! So I bought the only set they had

Once unpacked there was no way I was going to put those gaudy red coils on my Jeep

So I primed them

Then painted them semi gloss black

After a day to dry I dropped the rear and removed the SL coils, poly spacers, and the old original coil isolators.

A side by side of the JBA 6" coil measuring in at about 18.5" and the SL 4" coil measuring in at 16"

Then with the poly spacer and isolator like I was running before.

Also the SL coils measure 6.5" in diameter while the JBA coils measure 5.5"

Then I installed the new 6" coils along with new upper and lower isolators.

The bumpstop barely fits without rubbing, I'm hoping that doesn't change while wheeling. Once everything was back together and on the ground I was sitting at 25". So if I add more weight and/or they settle at all, I will need to add another isolator to bring it back up. But that is better than being too high!

Unread 03-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #1716
bhawks28
2009 WK 

wow that looks great. already making me want more lift than the OME...and I just got it
Unread 03-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #1717
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Next up was longer shocks to fully utilize the full length coils. I have been running a the 11" Fox shocks for a while now, but those only extend out to 28". With the old coil and spacer setup the coil would become unsprung at about 29-30" which is never a good thing. So now that I have these longer ones I can run a longer shock without the coils falling out or not reseating properly. Because I LOVE my Fox shocks so much I decided to get another set. This time I went with a set of 2.0 12" remote reservoir with the C/D adjust! I went ahead and had them valved the same as my last set (30/60), but I was really thinking of going lighter this time around since I have the adjust this time. I might choose to revalve them later down the road once I get my rear bumper setup and tire carrier on, but they are good for now.

I was having them built and was really hoping they would be finished by the time my coils were ready to go in so I could do everything at once. Well I got impatient and installed the coils and just as I was finishing up, I got a call the shocks were ready. Go figure! So then I spent the next two days after work installing them.

I have learned a few things over the years since originally installing the 11" ones and tried to get some good pics this time around of the instal

The old 11" next t the new 12"

The 12" shocks extend to 31" so by swapping them in I will gain 3" of down travel over the 11" shocks! So excited!!!

Now for the instal pics

This time I got the rubber ends instead of the eyelet bearings.

I bought a box of zinc plated fender washers to use as spacers on each side of the bushing since they are not wide enough to fill the shock mount on their own.

The hole in the washers was 1/5" and to use them with the bushing I had to drill them out to 5/8". That was just with the first washer on each side of the bushing in order for it to sit flat.

Now I wasn't too sure about doing this next part, but in the end it worked out nicely. I noticed that the top shock bolt was a bit smaller than the outer mount hole. So even with the bolt really tight the head would still move around some while driving. You can see here how over time this has caused some where.

So to stop this I grabbed a pair of bronze flange bearings to use in the hole.

I had to drill the outer hole a little bigger until they fit just right.

This way the bolt will fit snug in the flange and the flange will be snug in the hole. If it moves around over time it will wear down the bronze flange instead of wearing out the mount. The flange is easy to replace and the shock mount is not.

Now in order for the flange to sit flat against the bushing, it to had to be drilled and beveled some.

Unread 03-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #1718
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Now the upper shock bolt isn't quite large enough to fit snug in the flange or the shock eye. Since the bolt threads directly into the frame you can't easily just swap to a larger bolt. The easiest thing to do is wrap the section of the bolt that will be in the flange and shock eye with electrical tape until it is snug.

Another thing I noticed before was a couple of spots where the reservoir hose might rub and cause damage. You can see one of those spots here

I had wrapped the reservoir hose with some rubber hose before and you can see it did its' job well!

So this time I decided to use a grinder and round that spot smooth. I also trimmed another potential spot to gain more clearance. You can see those here

After another test fit I noticed I had to trim more which is the shiny spot

Just to be safe I still wrapped the reservoir hose with a rubber hose and zip-tied it in place

It was now time to finally bolt it in! First I installed the bronze flange in the hole on the outside mount, then I placed (1) washer which I had drilled against the inside bushing, followed by (2) non-drilled washers on the same side. I aligned everything and threaded the bolt in for a snug fit. So to be clear, from the outside hole (where the bolt goes in) I used (1) bronze flange, then the shock, then (1) drilled washer, then (2) non-drilled washers.

Now that the top was installed, it was time for the bottom. This was the easy side. First I wrapped the bolt so it fit snug in the lower shock eye, then I used (1) drilled washer on each side of the shock bushing, and put it all together.

And there we have it! An installed 12" Fox shock providing a 31" extended shock length without the 6" coil unseating!

In order to get the extra down travel without issues I also had to extend my brake lines a little more and since I have QD2, I had to lengthen the wires going to the ELSD in the diff.

Unread 03-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #1719
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Is there any place to buy the parts of the super lift seperatly? I will be doing a lot of the bison lift steps, if someone makes front gears for these, and if I could get certain parts of the super lift with OME front coils and the JBA rear coils it might save me some money.
ca07wk is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:11 PM   #1720
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

damn man, every time I think this rig can't get any better you somehow find a way to further my obsession with modding mine! Awesome job and love the Fox shocks, I've got a Fox fork on my bike and it is unreal, can't imagine how hose puppies ride!
Unread 03-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #1721
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawks28 View Post
wow that looks great. already making me want more lift than the OME...and I just got it
Thanks bud! Just enjoy the OME for now. The higher you go the more complicated it gets. The OME is a great lift!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
Is there any place to buy the parts of the super lift separately? I will be doing a lot of the bison lift steps, if someone makes front gears for these, and if I could get certain parts of the super lift with OME front coils and the JBA rear coils it might save me some money.
I'm not sure. If you are wanting to set yours up like mine then you will need everything in the SL kit except the front preload spacers, rear shocks, and rear coils. Evey thing else in the kit is being used. So buying it piece by piece probably wont save you any money in the long run. Also no one makes front gear yet as far as I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
damn man, every time I think this rig can't get any better you somehow find a way to further my obsession with modding mine! Awesome job and love the Fox shocks, I've got a Fox fork on my bike and it is unreal, can't imagine how hose puppies ride!
Thanks bud! There are still a couple more mods coming too I love the stuff Fox makes. I am running a Fox 36 Talas fork and 5.0 DHX air shock on my Sanction and they are awesome!

Unread 03-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #1722
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

36 Talas, not bad....hahaha thats awesome. I have a remote 32 float fork. Can't wait for even more mods!
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #1723
BAH101
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
. I might choose to revalve them later down the road once I get my rear bumper setup and tire carrier on, but they are good for now.

Rear bumper setup and tire carrier? Care to elaborate?
Unread 03-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #1724
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
36 Talas, not bad....hahaha thats awesome. I have a remote 32 float fork. Can't wait for even more mods!
One more will be up soon, but the other won't be till tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAH101 View Post
Rear bumper setup and tire carrier? Care to elaborate?
So you caught that did you A couple of mods I was trying to get done before I deploy, but probably won't happen I have had them planned and drawn up for a year now, just haven't had the time to get them made.

Unread 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #1725
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Hey Nate I can drive there to California and trade you keeps before you go and when u get back ill meet u st the doc lol

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.