Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)! - Page 102 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Omelet's Build Thread (aka The Bison)!

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #1516
Robb286
2006 WK 

Hey Nate!
Where did you buy your gobi rack from? & How much? I've been kinda looking into a rack for mine and I'd say I'm more in favor of the gobi rack more than the others.
The cheapest I found was 1299 with free ship & free ladder (usually 200 bucks).

Robb286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #1517
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I bought mine from a former member (ZigsRig) when he sold his WK for an H1. I got the rack with 6 Hella FF75 lights and BlueSea aux fuse box for $700 shipped! The Gobi Stealth rack was the only one I wanted on my WK, none of the universal racks out there appealed to me. I don't think I could have ever brought myself to pay full price for the rack, so when he put it up for sale I jumped on it!

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #1518
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Well today I finally got around to replacing the O-ring in my power steering line that failed a couple months ago. This was what was left of the old one:

I will have to keep an eye on it to make sure there are no more leaks.

I also replaced my upper radiator hose. It has had a slow leak for a little while now. I scrubbed the thermostat housing because it was looking pretty crappy. I think next time I swap thermostats I will also install a new housing.

I also went through my suspension and re-torqued everything. My last outing wasn't exactly one with difficult off road challenges, but it sure did rattle the crap out of the Bison. Everything feels much better now! Though I still need to replace one of my uniballs. I did the driver side a while back and knew the passenger side wouldn't be too far behind.

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #1519
jjt250
2007 WK 

I wish they still made those upper control arms. Do they make noises, though? Also, do you wash them off every now and then? Heard you're supposed to with uniballs...
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:10 PM   #1520
Valpacer

2007 WK 

Good work Nathan!
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #1521
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
I wish they still made those upper control arms. Do they make noises, though? Also, do you wash them off every now and then? Heard you're supposed to with uniballs...
They only get noisy when I have been neglecting the bushings or when the uniball starts to get a little play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer View Post
Good work Nathan!
Thanks bud, just trying to keep up with you!

Unread 01-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #1522
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

I finished up the wiring the other day, but never posted my last couple pics and info. I contemplated the wiring route for a while and finally decided to come down the back and enter the cabin with the hatch wiring.

From there it drops down the driver side behind the paneling which is where I mounted the power driver:

From the power driver the wires go straight to the front of the Jeep behind all the paneling. It all pops up behind the dash where I have the rest of my wiring. Right now the "Rear Light" switch I was using before in my switch panel is still used to turn the light on and off. Then there are two small switches in the cubby for "Intensity" and "Strobe" functions. Those are just temporary so I have full function of the light while I weigh my options.

This thing makes a HUGE difference while backing up at night in a dark area! With the tinted windows it is often difficult to see. The Cree reverse bulbs helped out a lot, but when you need more light this bar just blows the Hellas out of the water I need to do a good head to head comparison between the 40" and the new 19", but first impression, I think they are very close! I'm hoping to get some better night shots this weekend before I have to leave again...

Unread 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #1523
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Today I got an unexpected package! I had ordered a new air filter off eBay. I bought it from Summit Racing, but off their eBay store where it was the cheapest price with free shipping. I wasn't expecting it until next week, but it apparently shipped out of their LA warehouse. Anyways, I have had my Volant for almost 4 years now, I have refreshed the filter a few times and it is now looking a little too weathered. Instead of picking up another Volant filter I decided to get an AFE Pro Dry filter.

The Volant with the K&N DryCharger on it caked in dirt from my last outing:

You can see here how weathered the Volant filter has become:

The new AFE Pro Dry filter. I searched through all their dry filter they make and this was the closest one that would fit. Turned out to be the one in the Hemi WK kit they sell PN: 21-45003

As you can see the AFE is just slightly smaller than the Volant, plus the end is capped unlike the Volant. Considering the Volant was actually designed for the 6.1L Hemi it way over flows the 5.7L, so the slightly smaller AFE will do fine:

Once I thoroughly cleaned the K&N DryCharger and let it dry I wrapped it around the new AFE filter and installed it into the Volant intake:

Now as you can see my intake is very confused Volant, AFE, and K&N all in one!!!

Unread 01-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #1524
Valpacer

2007 WK 

You need a snorkel my friend That K&N is doing a lot of work!

I like where you have the hilift mountef, im trying to sort where im putting mine, had to upgrade to the 60" with the longer rear shocks. Its BIG!
2007 WH Grand Cherokee CRD (Yup, RHD Australia)- 3" Exhaust, GDE Flash Tune, CRDSTU/SL Hybrid Lift & bash Plates, 4xGuard Rock Rails, Saguaro F & R Bars, RCV's, Warn 9.5cti-s, AEV Saverge Rims, Nitto Mud Grapplers, Snorkel, Custom Rear Drawers, On Board Air, BullyDog Monitor, Dual Batteries - Build Thread - YouTube Vids
Valpacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 10:52 PM   #1525
jjt250
2007 WK 

Hey Nate do you have any tips on how you removed the rear panels? I have a really annoying noise coming from that area but I don't know how to remove the panels to get back there.
Unread 01-05-2013, 01:37 PM   #1526
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valpacer View Post
You need a snorkel my friend That K&N is doing a lot of work!

I like where you have the hilift mountef, im trying to sort where im putting mine, had to upgrade to the 60" with the longer rear shocks. Its BIG!
I know! I want one but either some one else needs to make one or I need to find an AirFlow snorkel for dirt cheap. I'm not too keen on the AirFlow and my wife refuses to allow it on the Jeep I have thought about making my own out of fiberglass, but it's not high on the list of things to do.

I am quite happy with the jacks location. It never gets in the way and it stays out of the weather and roaming sticky fingers! I know eventually I will need a 60" but this ones works for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjt250 View Post
Hey Nate do you have any tips on how you removed the rear panels? I have a really annoying noise coming from that area but I don't know how to remove the panels to get back there.
I actually didn't remove it. I popped the rear overhead trim off (where my cargo LEDs are mounted) then the top corner panel, laid the seat down, removed the panel around the seat belt, then pulled the large side panel out from the top far enough to reach in and work. To remove it completely I believe you would need to remove the cargo floor first.

Unread 01-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #1527
adavis39
2002 WJ 

well that only took 2 days of off and on reading to get through all 102 pages. Amazing work man. I guess i have to convince the wife to let me start building her Overland! keep up the great work
TNJEEPS.COM

BUILD: [B][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/utwj-build-other-crap-1399123/[/url][/B]

[B]"In a world that he did not create, but he will go through it as if it is his own creation. Half man, half beast, whatever it is it is weird, it is ticked off and it calls itself Slash"[/B]
adavis39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #1528
JeepinShep
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
well that only took 2 days of off and on reading to get through all 102 pages. Amazing work man. I guess i have to convince the wife to let me start building her Overland! keep up the great work
Careful what you ask for
My wife walked out behind the WK about 4 months after putting on the OME HD and said "It's not tall enough. When are you ordering a taller lift?"
Now I have a Superlift sitting in storage waiting for me to find a house and get out of this temporary apartment.
Ping me off forum - we just moved to Nashville.
2007 WK Limited, Red Rock Crystal, 3.0L CRD, QD-II. OME HD lift. 255x75x17s. Pinchweld mod. 1.5" Alloy hub-centric spacers. F/R Stillen rotors and pads. 4xG rear diff guard and belly armor. Tuned by Green Diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoch
...you never, ever, skimp on suspension and tires as they will save your *** when you do something stupid - and .. you *will* do something stupid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeansWings
Rock crawling is a whole 'nother animal. To me, the off-camber low rpm negotiation of lines provides a different type of adrenaline than plowing through mud. It's terrifying at times, but the pride of looking back at what you just climbed over is what is addictive.
JeepinShep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #1529
LilOmelet
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
Went out for an afternoon of wheeling and shooting!

Hey! Is that pick from when I came to visit? I'm pretty sure it is.
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]The Punisher[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]05 WK 5.7L HEMI Limited QDII[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Volant CAI[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]2" Rough Country[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Bilstein Struts[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]265/70/17 Nitto Trail Grapplers[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]ASFIR Suspension, front diff. Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar Fuel Tank, T-case Skid[/COLOR] - [COLOR="DarkOrange"]Mopar (Borla) Exhaust[/COLOR]
LilOmelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2013, 06:37 PM   #1530
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adavis39 View Post
Thanks a lot bud! I appreciate you taking the time to read through and enjoy it. If your wife is anything like mine then you should be able to get a small lift on it. My wife very much enjoyed the Jeep when it was new, but she loved it so much more with the OME MD lift and 32" tires. The only thing she didn't like was how loud the M/Ts were.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilOmelet View Post
Hey! Is that pick from when I came to visit? I'm pretty sure it is.
It might be! I'm not sure. Did the dates match up?

Tags
295/70/17 , 35" tires , 4x4 , fox , jeep wk , lifted , ome , omelet , ort , superlift , wk

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.