I have had this planned for some time now, only just now decided to fund it! Have you ever been wheeling going up a steep obstetrical or hill, and wished you could see something besides your hood and the sky? Funny me too!!!
I didn't want to buy a bunch of high dollar stuff for this, so I got on Amazon, did some searching, read a bunch of reviews, and finally made my purchase. I got a 7" display, 2 cameras, a plain hitch plug, and a hitch lock. It all came in a couple weeks ago, but I haven't been around to mess with any of it until now.
The cameras are pretty basic and cheap, but the reviews were great so I got one for the rear and one for the front. They include different collars so you can flush mount them or angle them.
The hitch plug is a basic $3 piece, no frills. That way if I crack it, or smash it wheeling I wont feel too bad. I measured the camera and drilled a hole for it.
I decided to flush mount the rear camera for now and see how I like it.
I wired it all up to a spare battery so I could make sure the camera was aligned properly.
Now the easiest solution for a screen would have been to use my NAV. Unfortunately I have the original 05 unit that doesn't have a video input let alone two of them. I thought about upgrading to a new aftermarket one, but didn't feel like dropping a grand on what I wanted at this time. So what I decided to do was demolish the factory visor
(I did buy a second one off eBay for $20 just in case I got carried away)
I popped the mirror off.
Used the bezel surrounding the display as a stencil and jut the fabric away.
Then after a lot of work with a knife I got the thing hollowed out. There is actually quite a bit of frame work in there. I had to mod the pivot mechanism too. But I finally cleared out enough room for the display to rest.
Because of the room I needed to clear, the pivot mechanism had to be hacked along with a lot of the support structure holding it in place. So it would still function properly I used epoxy to secure it down.
There was still a small void over the mechanism where it could still flex, so I cut a piece off the shroud that I wasn't going to use and epoxied it in place.
Because the back of the display isn't smooth and instead contoured to the back of the shroud, I cut it off and secured it in place with. . . you guessed it! Epoxy
With the display ready to go in I ran the wire harness out the side, gave it a good coat of epoxy, and wedged it into the visor for good. Then I cut the frame off of the shroud and secured it around the display for a finished look.