OME MD, now want more! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > OME MD, now want more!

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 07-11-2013, 11:33 PM   #61
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Omelet recommended the Rustys rear spacer. He said irs advertised as 2" but used without the coil isolator on the spacer side it is 1.5"

ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 04:52 AM   #62
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WieSeL View Post
So I've been looking at the JBA rear coil spacers. They apparently are 3/8". IM guessing you stack them on top of the factory lower spring isolator or on top and bottom. Anybody using these with any success? Thinking about just going with one spacer up front instead of two as it seems more hassle than anything and these JBA spacers for rear.
What is the standard for the "Modified OME"? as in what do others run in their rigs?
The rear JBA "spacers" are simply rubber isolators just like what you currently have from the factory. They are not actually spacers, some guys just stack isolators for a little more height.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 06:04 AM   #63
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Do any other rear spacers work, say for a jk or a wj? Probably been asked a million times

Sitting 21.75 up front and maybe 21 out back btw, after everything settled
As said - Rusty's rear 2" poly spacers would work. I didn't want to go this route because I didn't plan on stacking strut spacers. For one it presents some ride height issues up front and two it was going to involve more time and effort for install than I was willing to invest. With just one strut spacer I'm just under 23" hub to fender up front. Adding a full 1.5" out back would give me too much rake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
The rear JBA "spacers" are simply rubber isolators just like what you currently have from the factory. They are not actually spacers, some guys just stack isolators for a little more height.
^^^ This. I tried to subtly clear that up a couple posts back but it should be understood now. Also, these isolators aren't exclusive to JBA - shop around. For example I got mine here:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rear-sp...2089341ac.html

Slightly cheaper for the pair and shipping was a touch less for me through them.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #64
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

As said - Rusty's rear 2" poly spacers would work. I didn't want to go this route because I didn't plan on stacking strut spacers. For one it presents some ride height issues up front and two it was going to involve more time and effort for install than I was willing to invest. With just one strut spacer I'm just under 23" hub to fender up front. Adding a full 1.5" out back would give me too much rake.

^^^ This. I tried to subtly clear that up a couple posts back but it should be understood now. Also, these isolators aren't exclusive to JBA - shop around. For example I got mine here:

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/rear-sp...2089341ac.html

Slightly cheaper for the pair and shipping was a touch less for me through them.
Um Ok was just trying to get a feel for what others were running since I decided not to stack two spacers up front. Wasn't trying to annoy you
WieSeL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:07 AM   #65
JeepN4KC

Quote:

Um Ok was just trying to get a feel for what others were running since I decided not to stack two spacers up front. Wasn't trying to annoy you
No I'm not annoyed just trying to avoid any confusion for subsequent posters. No worries. :-)

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #66
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scootr29 View Post
I just did....3 new JBA spacers on the drivers side and 2 spacers on the pax side....I got slight bump up in the rear...I am now over 22" from center of wheel to the bottom of the fenderwell....slight rake overall. That is what I wanted. With the HD OME I was sagging slightly in the rear.
I feel like I'm missing something here; can you draw a diagram or a word picture? I've got a brand new HD set up yet to be installed, but I want to do it right the first time - I want to maintain the stock rake, but I'm not sure how many spacers I'll need, if at all.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #67
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMC_xj View Post
I feel like I'm missing something here; can you draw a diagram or a word picture? I've got a brand new HD set up yet to be installed, but I want to do it right the first time - I want to maintain the stock rake, but I'm not sure how many spacers I'll need, if at all.
OK I will do my best to explain the use of the rear spring spacers....

When you remove your rear springs there will be a rubber isolator at the top and the bottom of the springs...these are used to eliminate metal on metal contact. If you stack several of the rubber isolators on top of each other you get a rear lift.

In your situation I would install the OME HD and replace the old isolators with new ones....you will need 4 total...2 on each side, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom of the spring.

I would then drive the vehicle for several thousand kms and then see where the OME HD settles....My diesel after a year was riding lower in the rear. It was lower on the driver side than the passenger side. At this point I added some more of the isolators to eliminate the sag.

Below is the picture of the driver side rear spring.....as you can see I have 2 new spring isolators at the bottom...I have 2 new ones at the top...on the pax side I will 2 new on the bottom and 1 new one at the top....

These will eventually wear out as all rubber does, but it will be many many miles from know....

I used a spring clamp compressor to get them in...I am thinking anymore than 4 and you will need to drop the rear axle.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #68
WieSeL

Has anybody seen this front "leveling kit"? It's states as a 2.5" kit but doesn't look close to that at all. Thinking about this kit for my modified OME.

My buddy has tundra struts on his 4runner which is basically similar to our OME and has a 1.5" strut spacer on top and has about 4-4.5" lift. His CV angles are a little extreme but it works and does pretty well.

I know everyone advises against it but I kind of wanna try a similar setup and see what happens.
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:03 PM   #69
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

You have to remember that the front strut spacers adds about double its thickness. .25" adds about .5" and so on.
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:08 PM   #70
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca07wk View Post
You have to remember that the front strut spacers adds about double its thickness. .25" adds about .5" and so on.
Totally aware. I meant they label it as a 2.5. It only looks about .5" thick.
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM   #71
JeepN4KC

Quote:

I used a spring clamp compressor to get them in...I am thinking anymore than 4 and you will need to drop the rear axle.
If the lower shock bolt and sway links are disco'd, calipers off and hung high, the rear axle will droop a lot with jackstands under the unirail. The driver lower control arm is limiting factor.

Then just compress the spring however much needed.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #72
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Has anybody seen this front "leveling kit"? It's states as a 2.5" kit but doesn't look close to that at all. Thinking about this kit for my modified OME.

My buddy has tundra struts on his 4runner which is basically similar to our OME and has a 1.5" strut spacer on top and has about 4-4.5" lift. His CV angles are a little extreme but it works and does pretty well.

I know everyone advises against it but I kind of wanna try a similar setup and see what happens.
^^^ Your cv's and rack will be screaming if not fail.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 07-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #73
WieSeL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post

^^^ Your cv's and rack will be screaming if not fail.
Yeah I realize angles will be less than ideal but it's a possible route and my buddy 4runner hasn't had any issues with a similar setup. Just an option IM thinking of
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #74
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

Quote:
OK I will do my best to explain the use of the rear spring spacers....

When you remove your rear springs there will be a rubber isolator at the top and the bottom of the springs...these are used to eliminate metal on metal contact. If you stack several of the rubber isolators on top of each other you get a rear lift.

In your situation I would install the OME HD and replace the old isolators with new ones....you will need 4 total...2 on each side, 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom of the spring.

I would then drive the vehicle for several thousand kms and then see where the OME HD settles....My diesel after a year was riding lower in the rear. It was lower on the driver side than the passenger side. At this point I added some more of the isolators to eliminate the sag.

Below is the picture of the driver side rear spring.....as you can see I have 2 new spring isolators at the bottom...I have 2 new ones at the top...on the pax side I will 2 new on the bottom and 1 new one at the top....

These will eventually wear out as all rubber does, but it will be many many miles from know....

Beauty! That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2013, 07:30 AM   #75
toymachine456
2006 WK 

So have we come to the conclusion that using rustys 1/4" strut spacer, 2" rear spacer, and trac bar is the easiest, safest way to achieve the extra lift out of an OME? I need more lift and this option seems perfect. For those running it now, how much rake ?
Silver WK Club Member #81
toymachine456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.