OME Lift vs Bilstein / OME combo - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > OME Lift vs Bilstein / OME combo

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 02-03-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
toycarrier

OME Lift vs Bilstein / OME combo

Hey guys,

Getting ready to lift the WK but not sure which setup to go with. I'm looking for a comfortable lift for my WK diesel. I don't need the extra lift from the 5100s so I would keep them at the lowest setting more than likely.

I've heard the OME setup is a bit stiff which i'm not really loving the idea of. This vehicle will be used primarily for light expedition use, driving on the beach and road trips.

I want a real world 3" lift, was planning on the OME HD but the 5100 combo is a serious contender. If you've had experience with either, please let me know what you think.

As for tires, i'm going to run 255 75 17s on stock rims.

toycarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 05:25 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

I can't speak for the Bilstein combo but will say with confidence - go OME HD and you will not be disappointed.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #3
Tcolin2351
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC
I can't speak for the Bilstein combo but will say with confidence - go OME HD and you will not be disappointed.
X2 I love my OME HD setup
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #4
pancake
2005 WK 

I would like to hear about the bilstein / ome setup because that's what I was planning on doing. I'm not necessarily opposed to the regular ome hd setup but I have a good deal on some 285s and eventually want to do the new SA guard and skids, etc. down the road and I know I can make the tires work with the standard ome but I want to run a modified and the double strut plate with new studs, etc. just seems too complicated when I can get more lift with the bilstein struts.

I understand it may not ride quite as nice but I know a couple people have done it and was wondering how they think the ride quality is
Unread 02-04-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
fredkiller
2008 WK 

I have the OME HD with Bilstein 5100 all around and I'm pretty happy with it. I would say that unless you have a winch/bumper on the front you will be nose high without an additional spacer in the rear. I have the ARB bull bar with a winch on the front of mine and it's pretty much level (as measured at the rocker panel ends on a flat garage floor).
fredkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #6
pancake
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredkiller
I have the OME HD with Bilstein 5100 all around and I'm pretty happy with it. I would say that unless you have a winch/bumper on the front you will be nose high without an additional spacer in the rear. I have the ARB bull bar with a winch on the front of mine and it's pretty much level (as measured at the rocker panel ends on a flat garage floor).
I planned on a spacer in the rear. How does it ride?
Unread 02-04-2014, 11:40 AM   #7
DVB
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredkiller View Post
You'll be nose high with the 5100's set to the lowest right?
Unread 02-05-2014, 05:29 AM   #8
scootr29
2008 WK 

OME HD is great...I do wish the rear springs were a little taller or could handle loads better.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
fredkiller
2008 WK 

Pancake:
I think it might be a little bit stiff for some (obviously way stiffer than the factory suspension with the bull bar after 3 years) but I think it will be perfect when I'm pulling my travel trailer next time. Its way batter than it was before

DVB: I would suspect that without the armor it would be nose high. It feels nose high to me as is, but after three years of being nose low, its not surprising that it would feel that way. I may consider an additional spacer for the rear just to get some rake back.
fredkiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.