OME HD lift, seeking recommendations... - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > OME HD lift, seeking recommendations...

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Reply
Unread 06-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
ChopprJock
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 39
OME HD lift, seeking recommendations...

So I've had my 05 Limited for about a week now and I must say I love it! I have owned multiple Jeeps over the years- 4 CJ's, 1 YJ, 1TJ, and an XJ that I still miss... This is the first GC that I've had.

I did a lot of research on this and other forums and would like to thank all of you who have spent so much time documenting their rides and modifications. It's a wonderful knowledge base to be able to access as needed.

On the advice and recommendation of the members, I contacted Kolak and ordered a complete OME HD and 1.5" wheel spacers for my rig. Still researching tire brands/sizes (any recommendations?) but I hope to have them before the lift arrives.

So here is my question- For those of you who have or have had the OME HD lift, what if anything would you do differently if you could go back and start over? e.g. any other parts/upgrades that would have been easier to do all at once.... replace UCA's/balljoints? spacers? tire/wheel combo?

I'm just looking at idea's and welcome any and all advice. And FYI, I will wheel this jeep quite a bit but it will also be my daily driver.

__________________
2005 Limited
5.7L Hemi
QDII
OME HD
255/75/17's on JK Rubicon wheels
ChopprJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:27 PM   #2
BurmaJack
Registered User
2008 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: , Alberta, Canada
Posts: 489
Hi, with respect to tires - 265 70R17's are very popular. You might have to deflate the spare and trim the hitch bolts though. You may also have to trim the stock UCA bolts to fit the tires but not likely. I understand that the Jeepin by Al UCAs have a shorter bolt profile but it's up to you weather you want to buy UCAs or a ZIP disk.

I'm ready to do the same thing you are and I originally wanted to do the UCA's at the same time but decided to just snip the stock bolts instead and use up the stock ball joints before replacing.

I'm currently working up the courage to make the $13,000 hit to the bank account to pay her off - but that's coming very shortly as soon as I'm done my indoc for the next shutdown - then let the mods begin!

Good luck man, keep us posted on how it goes, and pics too
__________________
'08.5 WK Laredo CRD North Edition; QTII;
Modern Blue Pearl; GDE HOT Tune

Blue WK Club Member #2
BurmaJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #3
Sneaky2Toes
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Logan, Utah
Posts: 53
I think investing in the JBA UCA's are a good move. That is what I did, bought the HD kit and JBA UCA's. I haven't had any issues.
Sneaky2Toes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #4
Omelet
Evil Overlord!
 
Omelet's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 5,225
The RRO UCAs are also a good choice. You might want to think about armor as well if you plan to wheel it. Do you have any of the OEM/Mopar armor?
__________________
See How It Was Made

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
ChopprJock
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurmaJack View Post
Hi, with respect to tires - 265 70R17's are very popular. You might have to deflate the spare and trim the hitch bolts though. You may also have to trim the stock UCA bolts to fit the tires but not likely. I understand that the Jeepin by Al UCAs have a shorter bolt profile but it's up to you weather you want to buy UCAs or a ZIP disk.

I'm ready to do the same thing you are and I originally wanted to do the UCA's at the same time but decided to just snip the stock bolts instead and use up the stock ball joints before replacing.

I'm currently working up the courage to make the $13,000 hit to the bank account to pay her off - but that's coming very shortly as soon as I'm done my indoc for the next shutdown - then let the mods begin!

Good luck man, keep us posted on how it goes, and pics too


Yeah, I'm thinking of the 265's but I don't want to drive it for a few months and then wish I had a slightly larger tire

I am looking at some Nitto's right now along with the Duratec/Authority from Goodyear. I'm also going back and forth on load ranges- C or E....

Any other recommendations?
__________________
2005 Limited
5.7L Hemi
QDII
OME HD
255/75/17's on JK Rubicon wheels
ChopprJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #6
ChopprJock
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneaky2Toes View Post
I think investing in the JBA UCA's are a good move. That is what I did, bought the HD kit and JBA UCA's. I haven't had any issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
The RRO UCAs are also a good choice. You might want to think about armor as well if you plan to wheel it. Do you have any of the OEM/Mopar armor?
I have looked at both of these and I think I will go ahead an replace mine with one or the other. Might as well since I'll have it torn down anyway...

I don't think I have any armor on this rig, I'm trying to find a pic of the OEM fuel tank plate but haven't yet. Not sure if I have it or if the tank is simply reinforced/supported under there. Of course it's tough to get a good look as I am parking on the street. This weekend when I go to my parent's place I will lift it up and get under there to take a good look...

Thanks for the replies, Keep 'em coming!!
__________________
2005 Limited
5.7L Hemi
QDII
OME HD
255/75/17's on JK Rubicon wheels
ChopprJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Omelet
Evil Overlord!
 
Omelet's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 5,225
The Mopar fuel tank skid protrudes forward towards the t-case and have 2 bolt holes for the t-case skid. If you don't see that then you don't have the skid.

You might also consider the Falken WildPeak/RockyMountain or Firestone Destination A/T. That is assuming you are looking for an A/T?
__________________
See How It Was Made

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
ducktail
Registered User
2009 WK 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Columbia SC
Posts: 134
I have an 09 that I put an OME lift under. HD in the front and medium in the rear. I put the HD in front for the winch I plan to install.

I have 265 70 18's. I had 245 60 18's.

I am 6' and have to lift my butt to get into the seat. My wife has to about climb in. The kids think its great. Their dad drives a cool jeep.

My only gripe, really, is the spare does not fit. With the electronic diffs, front & rear, I am told I must run the same tire all the way around. Therefore I must use the same size spare. These spares do not fit in the space allowed so I am looking to lower tire size. Part of the problem is the 18" wheels.

With the medium lift and pulling a heavy jon boat with a loaded rear storage, you can't notice any sag in the rear. I think the medium is fine. If I weren't getting a winch I would put medium on the front.

Can anyone tell me the maximum tire to put in as a spare? Then I will know what size to look for in tires.
__________________
2009 GC Limited. 265 70 18 is the only change to date. Bought some Rubicon 17" wheels and put BFG M/T's on for hunting season OME HD Front, OME MD rear, winch to come, basket and lights bars first
ducktail is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #9
ChopprJock
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet View Post
The Mopar fuel tank skid protrudes forward towards the t-case and have 2 bolt holes for the t-case skid. If you don't see that then you don't have the skid.

You might also consider the Falken WildPeak/RockyMountain or Firestone Destination A/T. That is assuming you are looking for an A/T?
Yeah, since this will also be a daily driver I 'think' I'll stick with an A/T.

I haven't looked at the Falkens yet, I'll do some research on them... I really liked the look of the GY's, they have an aggressive stance and nice sidewall tread to help in the Missouri soup but in the end, I need to use this vehicle daily so I can't go with an off-road specific tire.
__________________
2005 Limited
5.7L Hemi
QDII
OME HD
255/75/17's on JK Rubicon wheels
ChopprJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #10
ChopprJock
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducktail View Post
I have an 09 that I put an OME lift under. HD in the front and medium in the rear. I put the HD in front for the winch I plan to install.

I have 265 70 18's. I had 245 60 18's.

I am 6' and have to lift my butt to get into the seat. My wife has to about climb in. The kids think its great. Their dad drives a cool jeep.

My only gripe, really, is the spare does not fit. With the electronic diffs, front & rear, I am told I must run the same tire all the way around. Therefore I must use the same size spare. These spares do not fit in the space allowed so I am looking to lower tire size. Part of the problem is the 18" wheels.

With the medium lift and pulling a heavy jon boat with a loaded rear storage, you can't notice any sag in the rear. I think the medium is fine. If I weren't getting a winch I would put medium on the front.

Can anyone tell me the maximum tire to put in as a spare? Then I will know what size to look for in tires.

Thanks for the insight. I am sticking with the HD all around- I'm coming from an F150 on 20" rims, so I am familiar with and actually prefer a stiffer ride. I will eventually put some armor under this thing too, which is another reason I went with the HD.

Check out Omelet's build thread, he did some work on his hitch and was able to fit 255's under his WK. Not sure what the final diameter was...think he was on a 17" rim then....
__________________
2005 Limited
5.7L Hemi
QDII
OME HD
255/75/17's on JK Rubicon wheels
ChopprJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #11
Scottso699
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 572
I wouldn't over look the 255/75r17 tires either though - there are a ton of them out there because all of the JK guys dump them to get bigger tires - I got a set that were about 60% tread for $50 from some guy that was just looking to dump them - they are doing great on my WK. I have an OME HD Lift front and rear with Bilstein struts in the front and Monroe Load Assist F150 shocks in the rear. I had Bilstein monotubes in the rear but the front was higher than the rear. Looked weird. So i went with (or should say was gifted) the F150 Load assist shocks and they have leveled out the Jeep. I also run 1.25" spacers on the front and rear wheels and have had no rubbing issues on the Upper Control arm bolt.
__________________
Scott

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #12
paroxysym
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Baltimore, Md.
Posts: 3,820
NOT to get off topic with the UCAs, but could you simply replace the bushing on your OEM arms and run those with a OME lift- IF you didnt intend to wheel it?

youre planning on wheeling with a set of 20s and a 3" lift? not much sidewall to flex when you air down to wheel...
__________________
2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
paroxysym is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:33 PM   #13
Scottso699
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
NOT to get off topic with the UCAs, but could you simply replace the bushing on your OEM arms and run those with a OME lift- IF you didnt intend to wheel it?

youre planning on wheeling with a set of 20s and a 3" lift? not much sidewall to flex when you air down to wheel...
I agree - after dropping $700 + on the OME lift - there wasn't any way I was going to spend $425? on new Upper control arms. After hearing of the clearance issues everyone was having I didn't have time to wait around for their newer version anyway. Mine works just fine with the factory uppers.
__________________
Scott

2006 WK Overland
2014 WK2 Limited
Scottso699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #14
ChopprJock
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: St. Louis, Missouri
Posts: 39
Just to clarify...I will NOT be on 2" rims. I will be on my original 17's. The 20" comment was simply to point out that I am comfortable and even prefer a stiffer ride, such that I had on my old truck. Right now this GC is like a canoe on the Black River...the suspension is done! Can't wait until I start getting boxes with an emu on the side....

After ******* over the price of the lift, and with new tires coming up, I am not sure what I'm going to do about the UCA's. RRO has some that aren't too expensive, but the JBA's- wow, almost five hundy!!

And good point about the 255/75/17 tires. I've been stalking craigslist for a while now but haven't come across any that weren't worn out...

Lyn
__________________
2005 Limited
5.7L Hemi
QDII
OME HD
255/75/17's on JK Rubicon wheels
ChopprJock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:24 AM   #15
Omelet
Evil Overlord!
 
Omelet's Avatar
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego, CA.
Posts: 5,225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopprJock View Post
Yeah, since this will also be a daily driver I 'think' I'll stick with an A/T.

I haven't looked at the Falkens yet, I'll do some research on them... I really liked the look of the GY's, they have an aggressive stance and nice sidewall tread to help in the Missouri soup but in the end, I need to use this vehicle daily so I can't go with an off-road specific tire.
The Falkens are a heavier tire that most A/Ts, but I have seen guys beat the crap out of them with no problems. Where you looking at the A/T or the M/T GYs? I was talking about the A/Ts, the nice thing about them is how light and cheap they are.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopprJock View Post
Thanks for the insight. I am sticking with the HD all around- I'm coming from an F150 on 20" rims, so I am familiar with and actually prefer a stiffer ride. I will eventually put some armor under this thing too, which is another reason I went with the HD.

Check out Omelet's build thread, he did some work on his hitch and was able to fit 255's under his WK. Not sure what the final diameter was...think he was on a 17" rim then....
The wheel size doesn't matter when you are talking about over all tire diameter. I have a brand new 255/75R17 (32.2) BFG M/T under there deflated. If you don't want to deflate it then you can only fit a 265 (31.6).
__________________
See How It Was Made

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.