OME HD install instructions - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > OME HD install instructions

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #31
modette
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp View Post
I just forwarded them to you.
Thank you and here is the Public Link
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/6036376/OME...Commander.docx

modette is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Manta
2005 WK 

Thanks!! I have been looking at an OME kit this will help
Manta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM   #33
modette
2005 WK 

Reading it now...yep seems like a straight forward process.

Could you not use a spring compressor on the rear so you don't need to lift the axle on one side much if at all?
Unread 06-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #34
coolhandnuke
2005 WK 

I used the spring compressors on the driver's side, because the gas tank bracket won't let the axle fall far enough. It was quick and easy. The passenger side was a non-issue.
Unread 06-16-2012, 02:43 AM   #35
ZF1FR
2007 WK 

Hi,

The service manual mentions:
NOTE: For proper orientation the nub hole (1) in
the upper shock plate (3) must be 180 in a centerline
from the bracket (9) at the bottom of the
shock (8).

Though I found the older struts assembled as mentionned in the *.doc file (small side of the top plate centered with the tab on the shock), I mounted the top plate following the service manual. That makes quite a difference in terms of orientation.

Someone's opinion?
ZF1FR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #36
modette
2005 WK 

So I jumped into my install yesterday. Rear Shocks took 2 hours out of the 8 for the whole job. I also did one wheel at a time...not sure why people jack up the whole vehicle and and put Jack stands on the axle. I simply Jacked up one side, needed to use the spring compressor to remove the driver side spring...not a big deal. Then I used the spring compressor to install the new spring...again not that big of a deal. Passenger side it pretty much falls out. I also changed the sway bar bushings back there while at it. Driver side insulator bushing was worn through...so good thing I bought all those too before the install.

Front was the worst, but still I did one side at a time, long part was compressing springs and what have you. My impact wrench is either not working or is SLOW. So I cranked the spring compressor bolts by hand. Not sure why the Commander write up guy says to use a high speed impact wrench for the removal of the strut nut at the top of the assembly. You use a 5/16 th and a 18mm I think it was and turn it.....ratchet wrenches work nice here.

Overall it was an easy install...I'm a little sore today. Got to go for an alignment today and I'll be all set.
Unread 06-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #37
modette
2005 WK 

Just came back from alignment, $191 at Firestone for life long alignments. Guy said the Upper control arm needs to be changed to get those into spec. So that is something to consider with the lift too. So Upper Control Arms are on my list when I buy tires, and ECU programmer.
Unread 06-16-2012, 01:43 PM   #38
Camp
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modette
Just came back from alignment, $191 at Firestone for life long alignments. Guy said the Upper control arm needs to be changed to get those into spec. So that is something to consider with the lift too. So Upper Control Arms are on my list when I buy tires, and ECU programmer.
For the OME you should have no problems aligning it with stock ucas. I would have someone else look at it. I recently went to commercial tire for an alignment and was told I needed all new lower ball joints and tie rods. They wanted like $500 for. They also said until I get all new parts it was impossible to align it. I then went to my dads good friend who is a mechanic and he aligned it no problem, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either of my ball joints or tie rods. Dealing with mechanics is a shady business, especially when times are tough. So if I was you I would get a second opinion before I replaced my ucas.

Sent from my HTC 3D using JeepForum
Camp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM   #39
modette
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp View Post
For the OME you should have no problems aligning it with stock ucas. I would have someone else look at it. I recently went to commercial tire for an alignment and was told I needed all new lower ball joints and tie rods. They wanted like $500 for. They also said until I get all new parts it was impossible to align it. I then went to my dads good friend who is a mechanic and he aligned it no problem, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with either of my ball joints or tie rods. Dealing with mechanics is a shady business, especially when times are tough. So if I was you I would get a second opinion before I replaced my ucas.

Sent from my HTC 3D using JeepForum

Oh they never tried to sell me parts, maybe I should of said that. Guy said the Jeep guy in the back recommends me going to Als online to get the Upper Control Arms. I have no reason to suspect them of wrong doing, again they never were trying to sell me anything.

Maybe once it all settles too it will be a little lower, remember I put on new insulators all around too, so they probably make it sit a little higher too at this point. Oh well I got the life time alignments so I can go back in a year (I don't drive much) and get it done again (at that time I plan to put on the bigger tires anyways). The $300 or whatever for the upper control arms don't bug me.....just I would of preferred to do it while under there is all. Oh this is the 3" HD OME kit too.
Unread 07-10-2012, 06:42 AM   #40
ZF1FR
2007 WK 

Could someone tell me what is "apply final torque vehicle on the ground" for the suspensions. For the rear I understand you have to torque the rear shocks bushings when vehicle lying on its wheels. But for the fronts?
ZF1FR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:07 PM   #41
toymachine456
2006 WK 

Please email them, I NEED them. toymachine456@yahoo.com
toymachine456 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #42
modette
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymachine456 View Post
Please email them, I NEED them. toymachine456@yahoo.com
I have the instructions posted above in to download.
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #43
slbowser
2008 WK 

Camp, would you e-mail your instructions please? Thanks. bowser.shawn@gmail.com
slbowser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2013, 12:42 PM   #44
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slbowser View Post
Camp, would you e-mail your instructions please? Thanks. bowser.shawn@gmail.com
I e-mailed them to you bud. instructions are for a commander but I used them to put the OME HD lift on my 2009 WK.

One thing they don't mention in the instructions is that one of the rear springs is labeled A and one is labeled B. A GOES ON THE DRIVERS SIDE!!!
Unread 03-22-2013, 02:32 PM   #45
Osboy1
1998 ZJ 

I've only ever done lifts on a ZJ and a WJ with separate front springs and shocks. Having never taken apart or assembled a strut, I had a hard time wrapping my brain around it. This helped tremendously! Can't wait to order my OME lift for the WK now.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.