OME HD 2" Issue after install - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
carangelover
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: romeoville
Posts: 37
OME HD 2" Issue after install

OK guys I thought I would post this question. I installed the OME HD springs and struts/shocks. After the install I took some measurements. The front from hub to fender was 23" and the rear from hub to fender was 22". I am running the 4.7L no armor or bumper yet. Any ideas that could have caused the difference? or do I just need more weight in the front end to compensate for the HD springs? I searched the forum but it doesn't seem anyone has had this issue.

carangelover is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM
blizzboy283
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by carangelover
OK guys I thought I would post this question. I installed the OME HD springs and struts/shocks. After the install I took some measurements. The front from hub to fender was 23" and the rear from hub to fender was 22". I am running the 4.7L no armor or bumper yet. Any ideas that could have caused the difference? or do I just need more weight in the front end to compensate for the HD springs? I searched the forum but it doesn't seem anyone has had this issue.
That's to compensate for the rake that the stock Jeep had. If you noticed before the lift, the front sits lower than the rear. The lift balances then out.

05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline  
post #3 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM
jjt250
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Omaha
Posts: 717
Garage
I think that's normal with the OME kit. I believe it's supposed to level it so that's why the front is higher than the rear. I'm pretty sure most people get similar results.

2007 Grand Cherokee Limited | QDII | 3.0L Diesel | S4xC Shackles Mounts | Goodyear Duratracs
Bilstein HD Front/Rear | Rusty's 1/2" Strut Spacer | Hemi XK Front/Rear Coils | HID Projectors
jjt250 is offline  
post #4 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM
MC_wk
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NS
Posts: 375
What's the stock measurement from hub to fender?

07 WK CRD | QD2 | GDE ECO - DPF | OME HD | Moabs & Duratracs
98 XJ | FbG | Moabs & Duratracs
96 XJ
MC_wk is offline  
post #5 of 11 Old 11-21-2012, 11:51 PM
trax95008
Registered User
2006 XK Commander 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,255
Front higher than rear is NOT normal. I have had both MD and HD springs on mine and with both setups I had about a 1/2" rake. (Higher in rear) there is a thread discussing lift measurements of different kits and I don't think anyone with an OME setup has reported your problem. Are the front springs seated properly in the isolator/retainer?
trax95008 is offline  
post #6 of 11 Old 11-22-2012, 02:09 AM
blizzboy283
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008
Front higher than rear is NOT normal. I have had both MD and HD springs on mine and with both setups I had about a 1/2" rake. (Higher in rear) there is a thread discussing lift measurements of different kits and I don't think anyone with an OME setup has reported your problem. Are the front springs seated properly in the isolator/retainer?
One of the fenders is bigger than the other. I can't remember which one, but if its the front then this might explain the difference in his numbers.

Op, do you have a picture?

05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline  
post #7 of 11 Old 11-22-2012, 05:22 AM
Budasac
Registered User
2005 WK 
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Woodbridge
Posts: 3,170
Here's the link to the Lift Measurements thread. This comes up all the time when some one puts a "leveling" lift on. The WK has quite a rake from the factory. Most lift kits tend to level the vehicle and therefore design a little more lift into the front of the kit. The final result should be that the lower rail of the truck is level. A side effect of this is that the space between the tire and fender is also increased more in the front. This gives the illusion that the front is higher than the back.

The numbers vary, but in general the front will measure about .5" more then the rear. I personally didn't like it so I threw a set Monroe load adjusting rear shocks. They gave me about a 1" boost and brought the rake back.
Budasac is offline  
post #8 of 11 Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
carangelover
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: romeoville
Posts: 37
Cool thanks everyone for the info. I know the stock measurements I did had 19" in front and rear since my struts and shocks were going lol. I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't going to break anything due to the added stress the front end.
Attached Thumbnails
20121119_113110.jpg  

Last edited by carangelover; 11-22-2012 at 10:45 AM.
carangelover is offline  
post #9 of 11 Old 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM
tjkj2002
Registered User
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,393
The front wheel wells are bigger then the rear as you need more room in the front for turning tires,no need for that extra room in the rear as those tires do not turn.

Normal to be "higher" in the front after a lift then the rear due to the wheel well size difference.

'02 Liberty sitting on 35" tires,HP44,RockJock60,and AtlasII t-case
tjkj2002 is offline  
post #10 of 11 Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........
 
JeepN4KC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Blue Springs
Posts: 6,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by carangelover View Post
Cool thanks everyone for the info. I know the stock measurements I did had 19" in front and rear since my struts and shocks were going lol. I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't going to break anything due to the added stress the front end.
Pic looks right to me. Also realize in that pic you're on an incline - which shifts weight to the rear axle and will skew your rake. The OME will level the rig out with a slight downward rake.

Now get some appropriate sized tires on that thing and go wheel it

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
JeepN4KC is offline  
post #11 of 11 Old 11-25-2012, 01:38 AM Thread Starter
carangelover
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: romeoville
Posts: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Pic looks right to me. Also realize in that pic you're on an incline - which shifts weight to the rear axle and will skew your rake. The OME will level the rig out with a slight downward rake.

Now get some appropriate sized tires on that thing and go wheel it
Thinking 265 or 275 tires but have to pay it off first before it gets wheeled too hard lol.
carangelover is offline  
Reply

Tags
install , lift , ome

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome