OME HD 2" Issue after install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > OME HD 2" Issue after install

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-21-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
carangelover
2007 WK 

OME HD 2" Issue after install

OK guys I thought I would post this question. I installed the OME HD springs and struts/shocks. After the install I took some measurements. The front from hub to fender was 23" and the rear from hub to fender was 22". I am running the 4.7L no armor or bumper yet. Any ideas that could have caused the difference? or do I just need more weight in the front end to compensate for the HD springs? I searched the forum but it doesn't seem anyone has had this issue.

carangelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carangelover
OK guys I thought I would post this question. I installed the OME HD springs and struts/shocks. After the install I took some measurements. The front from hub to fender was 23" and the rear from hub to fender was 22". I am running the 4.7L no armor or bumper yet. Any ideas that could have caused the difference? or do I just need more weight in the front end to compensate for the HD springs? I searched the forum but it doesn't seem anyone has had this issue.
That's to compensate for the rake that the stock Jeep had. If you noticed before the lift, the front sits lower than the rear. The lift balances then out.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
jjt250
2007 WK 

I think that's normal with the OME kit. I believe it's supposed to level it so that's why the front is higher than the rear. I'm pretty sure most people get similar results.
Unread 11-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #4
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

What's the stock measurement from hub to fender?
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #5
trax95008
Web Wheeler
2006 XK Commander 

Front higher than rear is NOT normal. I have had both MD and HD springs on mine and with both setups I had about a 1/2" rake. (Higher in rear) there is a thread discussing lift measurements of different kits and I don't think anyone with an OME setup has reported your problem. Are the front springs seated properly in the isolator/retainer?
trax95008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 02:09 AM   #6
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trax95008
Front higher than rear is NOT normal. I have had both MD and HD springs on mine and with both setups I had about a 1/2" rake. (Higher in rear) there is a thread discussing lift measurements of different kits and I don't think anyone with an OME setup has reported your problem. Are the front springs seated properly in the isolator/retainer?
One of the fenders is bigger than the other. I can't remember which one, but if its the front then this might explain the difference in his numbers.

Op, do you have a picture?
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 05:22 AM   #7
Budasac
2005 WK 

Here's the link to the Lift Measurements thread. This comes up all the time when some one puts a "leveling" lift on. The WK has quite a rake from the factory. Most lift kits tend to level the vehicle and therefore design a little more lift into the front of the kit. The final result should be that the lower rail of the truck is level. A side effect of this is that the space between the tire and fender is also increased more in the front. This gives the illusion that the front is higher than the back.

The numbers vary, but in general the front will measure about .5" more then the rear. I personally didn't like it so I threw a set Monroe load adjusting rear shocks. They gave me about a 1" boost and brought the rake back.
Budasac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM   #8
carangelover
2007 WK 

Cool thanks everyone for the info. I know the stock measurements I did had 19" in front and rear since my struts and shocks were going lol. I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't going to break anything due to the added stress the front end.
20121119_113110.jpg  

Last edited by carangelover; 11-22-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Unread 11-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #9
tjkj2002
2002 KJ Liberty 

The front wheel wells are bigger then the rear as you need more room in the front for turning tires,no need for that extra room in the rear as those tires do not turn.

Normal to be "higher" in the front after a lift then the rear due to the wheel well size difference.
Unread 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #10
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by carangelover View Post
Cool thanks everyone for the info. I know the stock measurements I did had 19" in front and rear since my struts and shocks were going lol. I just wanted to ensure that I wasn't going to break anything due to the added stress the front end.
Pic looks right to me. Also realize in that pic you're on an incline - which shifts weight to the rear axle and will skew your rake. The OME will level the rig out with a slight downward rake.

Now get some appropriate sized tires on that thing and go wheel it

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
carangelover
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Pic looks right to me. Also realize in that pic you're on an incline - which shifts weight to the rear axle and will skew your rake. The OME will level the rig out with a slight downward rake.

Now get some appropriate sized tires on that thing and go wheel it
Thinking 265 or 275 tires but have to pay it off first before it gets wheeled too hard lol.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.