OME Budget Suspension - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > OME Budget Suspension

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

OME Budget Suspension

Does anybody run the OME Budget Suspension? Runs for $395 on this site. Any thoughts?
http://www.rocky-road.com/wkome.html

Unread 04-06-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Some folks run mixmatched components of springs, struts, shocks, etc.

If it's me - full OME HD ftw.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
R4TCHET
2005 WK 

I got RC spacers then upgraded the shocks to OME shocks, now I wish I just got the entire OME lift. On the plus side when I am upgrading in the near future it's like $300+ shipping. I plan on getting some RRO UCAs, 1/4" strut spacers, 1" rear spacers and an adjustable trac bar along with the springs now.

Sent from my Jailbroken iPhone using JeepForum
| (dark)KHAKI WK CLUB MEMBER 17 | 2005 4.7L QTII | JBA UCAs | Modified OME MD 3.5" lift | Rusty's Adj. track bar | 4XG Matrix | 285/70r17 Duratracs | 17" KMC Enduro Wheels | Rola Roof Rack | 21" Bean LED Light bar on Roof Rack | 2 12" Punch P3 Subs | Expanded Sheet Grille | SA Sliders |
R4TCHET is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
ducktail
2009 WK 

Hw bout a link on the OME lift please.

Nevermind. Thanks.
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
wbrown85
2007 WK 

Yeah I'm looking to do a budget lift as well. Anyone have any input on the OME budget lift versus the RC lift?
wbrown85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 12:11 AM   #6
Kolak
Vendor

So the budget is a set of four OME springs with longer generic rear shocks and you keep the stock front struts?

It would be my feeling that the stock front struts, particularly if you've got a lot of miles on your Jeep, are not going to do a very good job of dampening with the OME coils. And it's a LOT of work to disassemble and then reassemble the struts only to find that out.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #7
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbrown85 View Post
Yeah I'm looking to do a budget lift as well. Anyone have any input on the OME budget lift versus the RC lift?
The OME "budget" lift is just a combination that Rocky Road Outfitters have put together to attract a market looking to either cut corners or piece meal a suspension system. The Rough Country leveling kit is a pretty solid product from my understanding - yet nearly everybody that has this lift adds something to the rear to boost it.

Just go full OME HD with your CRD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
So the budget is a set of four OME springs with longer generic rear shocks and you keep the stock front struts?

It would be my feeling that the stock front struts, particularly if you've got a lot of miles on your Jeep, are not going to do a very good job of dampening with the OME coils. And it's a LOT of work to disassemble and then reassemble the struts only to find that out.
^^^ Exactly this.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 04-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #8
bhawks28
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Just go full OME HD with your CRD.
Listen to this man, because in a few months, this will be you:
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4TCHET View Post
I got RC spacers then upgraded the shocks to OME shocks, now I wish I just got the entire OME lift.
How many times have we read that around here? People going with a cheaper lift and then regretting it and wishing they went with OME.
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

I was kinda thinking the same Kolak, I just hadn't seen this particular setup before. As I now have 77K miles on original shocks/struts, I'm leaning towards the full OME HD kit. Anybody know the average lifespan for stock shocks/struts in average driving conditions?
Unread 04-08-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
JeepWKHemi
2006 WK 

Not right off the top of my head. It really depends on a lot of variables. Weather conditions, how smooth the roads you drive on are, etc... Personally, I replaced the stock shocks about every 50K. Then I wised up and bought a set of Bilsteins for my WK and couldn't have been happier. If you are planning on going with a bigger tire setup and/or want a little more clearance. I would have to agree with everyone else and get the full OME HD setup. I plan on doing that to mine some time this summer when I get the $$$ to do it. Then again, I am also going with larger tires and new rims. Because I am going with the Jeep Moab rims, I need to put spacers on since I have the larger calipers that Chrysler went with mid 2006 cycle and the Moabs won't fit without modification to the caliper (which I don't think shaving the calipers is a safe method) or wheel spacers.
Unread 04-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
wbrown85
2007 WK 

I'm really not looking to do much (if any) off roading. I'm just going for just a bit bigger stance. I parked beside a WK2 over the weekend and with the stock 18" that the WK2s come with, the stock tires were bigger and the truck was taller overall. And his wasn't trail rated and mine is!! SMH. While shelling out more $$ to get the full OME HD lift would be the best route, is it really worth the more $$ versus how affordable a RC lift is??

PS personally I'm only looking to put 265/7017 on my rig.
Unread 04-08-2013, 11:00 AM   #12
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
I'm really not looking to do much (if any) off roading. I'm just going for just a bit bigger stance. I parked beside a WK2 over the weekend and with the stock 18" that the WK2s come with, the stock tires were bigger and the truck was taller overall. And his wasn't trail rated and mine is!! SMH. While shelling out more $$ to get the full OME HD lift would be the best route, is it really worth the more $$ versus how affordable a RC lift is??

PS personally I'm only looking to put 265/7017 on my rig.
then in your case a RC or RRO lift with bilsteins at all 4 corners is right up your alley.
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym View Post
then in your case a RC or RRO lift with bilsteins at all 4 corners is right up your alley.
Agreed.

If you were building to wheel I maintain OME to be the way to go.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:19 PM   #14
wbrown85
2007 WK 

If I replace the shocks in the front, do I have to disassemble the struts? Since the shocks are part of the struts.
Unread 04-08-2013, 12:23 PM   #15
volcy
2005 WK 

Quote:
If I replace the shocks in the front, do I have to disassemble the struts? Since the shocks are part of the struts.
Yes, just did my lift this weekend and replaced struts with Bilsteins. Just used the regular old coil springer compressor from a parts store and its not too bad. Easier than the ones on my last truck.
volcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.