Oil Specification - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Oil Specification

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 04-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
jamie1131
2006 WK 

Oil Specification

I'm about to do my first oil change since buying my CRD so I've been looking for a good value for money oil that meets MB 229.51.

This has got me thinking! There are a few different oils that meet 229.51 ranging wildly in price and even weight, for example Mobil 1 is available in 5w-30 and 5w-40 but both meet 229.51.
I'm curious to know what 229.51 actually specifies, is it just the low ash properties required for the DPF or does it specify properties required for properly lubricating, cooling, cleaning the engine?

If 229.51 is an ultimate, exhaustive specification for the oil then I'm tempted to use GM Dexos 2 which claims to meet this standard but is significantly cheaper. If its just an ash spec then I'm more inclined to shell out the big bucks for a premium brand.

Any feedback gratefully received!

jamie1131 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #2
jiggadog
2008 WK 

i haven't seen the particulars of the specifications required to meet 229.51 and i could be wrong but i doubt MB would publish it. as far as i know the 229.51 is as you mentioned for low ash (Diesels with a DPF) and for the extended drainage interval. try searching the forum (particularly the DPF delete thread i believe) as there has been considerable discussion already regarding oil options both with the DPF and without. i personally use total quartz ineo mc3 as it's the cheapest i've found ($39.50CAN+tax) for 5 litres which is 3-4 dollars/litre cheaper than the cheapest 229.51 mobil 1 i could find (one dealership wanted $14/litre!). as with most things you'll get a variety of opinions on what oil is "best", but i use the least expensive oil thats meets the 229.51 spec and haven't had any problems after 3 - 20,000km oil changes.
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

As far as I know the UK version of the WK with the Mercedes diesel engine DOES NOT have a DPF.

229.51 oil is designed to specifically help the DPF.

I would look at the Mobil 1 0w40.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:19 PM   #4
jamie1131
2006 WK 

How do I find out if mine has the DPF?
Unread 04-18-2013, 01:22 AM   #5
jamie1131
2006 WK 

Hi again!

So after getting under the car I now know I do not have a DPF.

The recommendation for none DPF vehicles is a part synthetic, 10w-40. Has anyone used this or do you stick with the 0w-40 fully synthetic?
If I got the 10w-40 route I guess more frequent oil changes would be required.

Regards,

Jamie
Unread 04-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
SSF556
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamie1131
Hi again!

So after getting under the car I now know I do not have a DPF.

The recommendation for none DPF vehicles is a part synthetic, 10w-40. Has anyone used this or do you stick with the 0w-40 fully synthetic?
If I got the 10w-40 route I guess more frequent oil changes would be required.

Regards,

Jamie
I would go Mobil 1 0w40 synthetic...it is a very popular euro oil.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
SSF556 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Zlartibartfast
2007 WK 

Full synthetic is better, and Mobil 1 has never let me down. I used in my gassers and now in my oil-burners.
Zlartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.