Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Which oil manufacturer do you prefer for your WK CRD? Researching...

2K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  caddydaddy 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

I'm doing a little research on oil manufacturer options and I thought I would begin by asking those with a CRD. I currently use Amsoil European Car Formula 5W-30 I-ESP for my '08 JGC CRD. I've been very happy with it however with the current exchange rate (Canadian CRD owner) the price per case continues to go up.

Which oil do you use?

Thanks!

#7 ·
08rubie1 said:
Yup long gone. runs great with out it.. kind of annoying taking it in for service but not that big od a deal
Gotcha. Me too, i was just hoping you weren't using rotella with a dpf cause last i checked they didn't have a 229.51 spec.

I used Mobil 1 ESP formula M when i had my DPF. Sans DPF I run Mobil 1 European Car Formula 0w40.

By deleting the DPF if you're morally not against it and can do so and pass emissions in your area you basically cut the price of oil changes in half. That's one of the biggest reason I did it.

#8 ·
I use Amsoil MB spec 229.51 European 5w-30. I change the oil filter and air filter every 5,000 miles and do an annual oil change in the spring. I probably should switch my annual change to the fall. This ends up somewhere in the 12,000-15,000 mile range for a full change. I have had an oil analysis done every 5,000 miles prior to deciding on this. The biggest change based on the analysis was from 5,000-10,000 miles. There was little change from 10-15,000 and the oil was still good. From 0-5,000 the oil was only slightly used and still spec out pretty new. I still have my DPF on and plan to delete it this year. I will do the same oil analysis if I decide to change to a different Amsoil product; like this, even though it really isn't that much cheaper.

#9 ·
This past Summer, FCA changed the oil recommendation for the Ecodiesels to Rotella T6. Since the Ecodiesel also has a DPF, this makes me wonder if the issue of ash content in non-MB 229.51 oil, like Rotella T6 is even an issue?

#11 ·
I saw that bulletin and really thought long and hard about it. I did the DPF delete so I could then run T6 (one reason) and now they say I can run T6 anyway? Hmmmm. One has to wonder if they made the change so that dealers could save a few bucks. I don't know. But there it is in a bulletin. If you want to be super safe stick with the 229.51 or get the DPF delete.

I got into it a little because my daughter took her CRD into a dealer for an oil change and they put in the cheaper oil. I called the local dealer here and picked his brain and he quoted me the bulletin. I was asking him about my 07 with the MB engine.

So confusion reigns.

#13 ·
Chirpz said:
If you want to be super safe stick with the 229.51 or get the DPF delete.
Agreed. Replacement DPF i believe is $1500ish, not worth messing around imo. Also i wouldn't care/ believe what fiat says about our mercedes engine. The ecodiesel's dpf might be more tolerant because of the DEF injection. If Mercedes released that document i'd be game.

#14 ·
True, the TSB I mentioned was only for the newer Ecodiesels, but it makes you wonder how low the ash content in T6 really is. From what I've read elsewhere, it's just slightly above Mercedes specs for oil for their DPFs, so it would probably take a long time to plug one up, if at all.
YMMV!

#15 ·
If you do some googling, you'll see that the Rotella T6 just barely fell out of the requirements for ash content, like marginally.

Regarding the Rotella T6.

The main function of the oil is lubrication properties and also suspension and detergency properties, especially for a diesel. There is clearly no doubt that the T6 is great in all those regards. In addition, it passes the MB OM611A, OM501LA, and OM646LA tests. In fact, it appears as though it meets all of the specs for a 228.51 oil except that the sulfated ash levels are too high~ 1.0% vs spec of 0.8% or less. Not quite sure why it does not meet the 228.3 specs as it clearly meets 228.31. It may be because the TBN is around 10.5 and I think the 228.3 spec is minimum 12. In any case, if you look at all of the test properties of the oil, it is clearly a very good oil.
Anywho, DPF removed, running T6 going on 2+ years now.

#23 ·
Was curious what the major difference was between 229.51 & 229.5. I did this on my last change as well.

Break

Different question on a previous comment:
Those of you running the DPF delete, aside from cheaper oil changes, did your MPGs improve at all?

#25 ·
That's interesting and surprising. You would think that without a DPF and bypassing the EGR and swirl valve that passing the emission test would be difficult.

What's your fuel economy like? I'm getting 12.1L/100km with mixed driving. No GDE tune and still the DPF. I drive a lot for work. Around 50-60,00km per year.

Did you investigate what the fine is if you're found without a DPF? Chances are very slim that they'll find that it's missing but good to know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.