Oil Maintenance Display Won't Clear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Oil Maintenance Display Won't Clear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #1
kraftomatic

Oil Maintenance Display Won't Clear

Hey Guys,

This is a rather dumb question, but I can't figure it out. I have an 08 GC and the "Oil Maintenance/Change Required" message displays on the console everytime the Jeep starts. I've read the manual and it states something along the lines of:

"Turn the key to on (do not start), and depress the gas pedal 3 times within 10 seconds. Then turn the key to off and it'll clear."

It doesn't clear however. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks ..

kraftomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #2
bull_blaster
2005 WK 

humm, not sure about the 08 , but i know in mine i just hold reset for 3 seconds and it reset it back to 3000 Miles
bull_blaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 01:38 PM   #3
AferVentus
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Try looking here: http://wkjeeps.com/wk_oil_indicator.htm.

That's odd, because we don't have this on our '08. Maybe it was a late availability option.
AferVentus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
kraftomatic

That is interesting and cool. Yet in just having the oil change (from the dealership), I would have hoped that would have been reset. This part specifically doesn't seem to work:

The oil change indicator can be reset using the following steps:

1. Turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine.
2. Slowly depress the accelerator to the floor and release it three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

Repeat the process if the indicator does not reset.

I mean, it's not that difficult. I'm not sure how I could be doing it incorrectly. I assume after turning the key to "off", I then start the Jeep. That's what I've been doing and sure enough, the message pops right back up.
kraftomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
merlinTec

Hi
Are you turning off the ignition too soon wait for the display to say OIL CHANGE RESET. Also things to try is parking brake on and door open/closed. Not seen a 2008 so not played yet should be soon but this is all I could find in the service manual.
Regards,
Merlin
Unread 02-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #6
robpp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraftomatic View Post
That is interesting and cool. Yet in just having the oil change (from the dealership), I would have hoped that would have been reset. This part specifically doesn't seem to work:

The oil change indicator can be reset using the following steps:

1. Turn the ignition key to ON but do not start the engine.
2. Slowly depress the accelerator to the floor and release it three times within 10 seconds.
3. Turn the ignition key to the OFF position.

Repeat the process if the indicator does not reset.

I mean, it's not that difficult. I'm not sure how I could be doing it incorrectly. I assume after turning the key to "off", I then start the Jeep. That's what I've been doing and sure enough, the message pops right back up.
Besides the above I found the following quote on the SRT8 board.

"On my '08 I just had the oil change indicator come on, and I successfully reset it. The point is that the message took a few seconds after turning the key on to appear in the dash. You need to wait until the message appears, then you have 10 seconds to do the 3 pedal depresses. It doesn't work if you start depressing the pedal immediately after turning the key on, if you don't wait for the oil change message to appear."

Good Luck,
Rob
Rob 007 Laredo 4.7 FFV 27X; DeBadg'd; Zaino'd; SRT8 Grill, Pedals, Strut; ClearBra; WeatherTech; LED Reverse; HIR Hi/Lo; SS Fog; Stealth Turns; 15% Tint; Stubbie; Rear Spoiler; Magnaflow; V1; 22Elite Console/Visors; Body Kit; Color Match Everything; TintedTails; K&N 63; Front Skid; QuickOilDrainValve; BatteryTender; SuperChips 91; Bilstein; Billet Window Switches; Greasable Addco Sways; RamMedic Hood; Fastman TB; BWoody Links; Kicker Upgrade w/Single Sub; AVIC F90BT Hacked; NeffyWrap ABCD; Putco LEDs; Viper 20s w/255/50; R1 Slot/Dimple w/Hawk Pro Ceramic; Whistler Mod w/FlashTech Halos
robpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2008, 11:33 AM   #7
no-blue-screen
2008 WK 

On my 08, I reset the oil change miles by navigating the menu, then holding the reset button for several seconds....it then reset back to 12,500 miles.

CRD TURBO SEAL OIL LEAK FIX
WK CRD - EGR CLEANING WRITE-UP
MY FUEL ECONOMY DATABASE
no-blue-screen is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.