Oil limitations - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-02-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Jorghole
2005 WK 

Oil limitations

I just got some new oil for the WK to put in this weekend but am not sure if it meets the specs. Can anyone tell me if they have tried Castrol Edge in their 5.7 HEMI and how well it worked out. I have been using Royal Purple for a while and that has worked very good but thought I would try something different. Now I wish I would have stuck with what I know.

2005 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, 4" SL Lift, Rusty's leveling kit, DC Gun Metal wheels, 285/70-17 BFG AT KO, 4xGuard Front/Rear Skid, 4xGuard Diff Guard, SA Sliders, Gobi Rack, Cobra CB
Silver WK Club Member 55
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-02-2015, 09:21 PM
JakeWK

2005 WK 

honestly, as long as you used the correct oil weight, you shouldn't have much of an issue.
post #3 of 21 Old 12-02-2015, 09:36 PM
JRLT
2010 WK 

The specs are on the bottle.

2010 3.7L, 4XGuard Matrix, Fastman TB, TB Ground Mod, Injen CAI, 255/60/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers, Bilstein Shocks & Struts, Cruiser Alloy Wheels - Switchblade, Stillen Brakes, Cargo Light Strip Mod, Electric Ashtray Mod, Jet-powered, Monkey Navigated...
post #4 of 21 Old 12-03-2015, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Jorghole
2005 WK 

There are specs called out on the bottle but not the jeep spec. That is why I am inquiring.

Anyone else use edge in their 5.7?
post #5 of 21 Old 12-03-2015, 07:37 AM
10Xk
2014 WK 

If it's not listed on the bottle then it more than likely doesn't met specs.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 03:58 AM
Marcus86GLHS

^+1.......if you cannot verify the oil meets the 5.7L OEM specs then you'd be well advised to get another type.

2008 Hemi Grand Cherokee Limited 4 x 4, original owner, 29,000 miles
post #7 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 04:24 AM
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10Xk
If it's not listed on the bottle then it more than likely doesn't met specs.
Or they didn't pay to have it "meet the specs" most any name brand oil will far exceed manufacture oil recommendations.

But for the sake of this thread and to help you sleep at night only put oil that states it meets the specifications in your vehicle.

He's an angel dressed in oilskins; he's a saint in the "Sou'wester,"
He's a pluck as they come, or ever can;
He's a hero born and bred, but it hasn't swelled his head,
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Jorghole
2005 WK 

I think that would help me sleep better. I did the oil change last night with the Castrol Edge so I will just wait and see. Probably do a quick turnover on it. I did find online a cut sheet from castrol that says that it does meet the spec.

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/73A258BA225A396680257D03006D47BE/$File/EDGE%20US%20PDS.pdf

The other issue is the oil light and P0520 that I got earlier in the week. Same symptoms as indicated in the post that is linked.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/c...-hemi-2963761/

2005 WK Limited, QD-II, 5.7L HEMI, Volant Cold Air Intake, 4" SL Lift, Rusty's leveling kit, DC Gun Metal wheels, 285/70-17 BFG AT KO, 4xGuard Front/Rear Skid, 4xGuard Diff Guard, SA Sliders, Gobi Rack, Cobra CB
Silver WK Club Member 55
post #9 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 07:49 AM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

What is it about the Castrol that makes you leery of it meeting specs for an 11 year old Jeep? Royal Purple certainly isn't a magic potion for WK HEMIs that nothing can stand up to. It's expensive motor oil - nothing more, nothing less. Assuming a regularly maintained service interval, most any oil out there with the proper weight is gonna work fine for your vehicle - to include parts store house brands.

~Mike~

Build Thread WK
Other Build Thread XJ
September 2013/January 2015 COTM
post #10 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 09:33 AM
n7vrz
2005 WK 

I have been driving vehicles of various types for around 50 years now. I try to buy the cheapest oil I can that meets the manufacturers recommendations. That usually turns out to be store brand oil.
I have NEVER had an oil related break down.
The high priced oil meets it too but I can't see paying extra money for the name.

On a side note: How many of you believe this commercial for oil that has "intelligent" molecules?
post #11 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Jorghole
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
What is it about the Castrol that makes you leery of it meeting specs for an 11 year old Jeep? Royal Purple certainly isn't a magic potion for WK HEMIs that nothing can stand up to. It's expensive motor oil - nothing more, nothing less. Assuming a regularly maintained service interval, most any oil out there with the proper weight is gonna work fine for your vehicle - to include parts store house brands.
The only reason that I even thought of the specs is after utilizing the cheap coolant I found myself in need of replacing the radiator because of leaks. Not saying that it was the cause but I did flush the whole system and got the better stuff.
post #12 of 21 Old 12-04-2015, 02:33 PM
LouC
2007 WK 

In the Hemi I'd use a good synthetic because of the fact that 5w/20 is required and using syn makes it less likely to have oil viscosity breakdown issues. The 5w/20 is very thin....

2007 WK Limited Hemi QDII
1998 ZJ Laredo 4.0 Selectrac
post #13 of 21 Old 12-05-2015, 09:01 AM
Montreal300

Quote:
Originally Posted by n7vrz View Post
I have been driving vehicles of various types for around 50 years now. I try to buy the cheapest oil I can that meets the manufacturers recommendations. That usually turns out to be store brand oil.
I have NEVER had an oil related break down.
The high priced oil meets it too but I can't see paying extra money for the name.

On a side note: How many of you believe this commercial for oil that has "intelligent" molecules?
Aww come on, where did you see that or what brand? I really can't believe any company would say that in a commercial. If it's true it would have to be in the running for the stupidest hook ever.
post #14 of 21 Old 12-05-2015, 09:03 AM
Montreal300

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouC View Post
In the Hemi I'd use a good synthetic because of the fact that 5w/20 is required and using syn makes it less likely to have oil viscosity breakdown issues. The 5w/20 is very thin....
The MDS system doesn't like anything heavier.
post #15 of 21 Old 12-05-2015, 09:20 AM
PTee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorghole
I just got some new oil for the WK to put in this weekend but am not sure if it meets the specs. Can anyone tell me if they have tried Castrol Edge in their 5.7 HEMI and how well it worked out. I have been using Royal Purple for a while and that has worked very good but thought I would try something different. Now I wish I would have stuck with what I know.
I had Royal Purple my last 3 oil changes. I only buy it when it's on sale. I haven't found it on sale for ever so I just went to costco and got the castrol edge for like half the cost.
It's full synthetic and it's 5-20 I don't really understand what your concern is with using it. I don't even understand why, being on sale, made me buy Royal Purple.

2010 WK North Edition 5.7 Hemi, QT2, loaded Black WK #102

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.