Oil and filters for crd in Canada - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Oil and filters for crd in Canada

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinJeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Tater2000

Oil and filters for crd in Canada

Hi guys so I went in to book in my crd 2008 at the dealership for service and an oil change and figured I would quiz them up on their oil they use and what oil change procedure they use. They showed me oil designed for a gas engine and said they just pull the plug than fill it up. I told them that wasn't the correct oil and asked them to show me an oil that meets the Mercedes speck. They didn't have one in stock even though they were supposed to do an oil change on my jeep the next day. I cancelled the oil change so now they are just servicing it. Scared the crap out of me that they didn't know this stuff.

So my question is where can a guy find oil and filters in Canada. I live in a small town in northern Alberta so not much for options at the store. Also I've removed my dpf so u can run the 229.31 spec. please help me.

Tater2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #2
imnotted
2007 WK 

You shouldn't need the .X1 spec oil. That 1 on the end of the oil spec denotes low ash, and if you're running without a DPF, I would think you only need a 229.3/229.5 oil. I would look into blue bottle Rotella T6 5W40. I can't find where it specifically meets that spec, but it was built for compression ignition engines, is a full synthetic, and is abundantly available. It meets API requirements for most smaller diesel engines, but it's a little muddled when you get into manufacturer specs and modified vehicles. Maybe float a question out on Bob Is The Oil Guy if this oil is available in your market for some clarification.

Filters are a different boat. Your best bet might be a Mercedes dealer. They generally stock the filter you need, and they're not terribly priced.

Hope this helps!
imnotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:39 PM   #3
Blue_Sassley
2008 WK 

You might want to also check over this thread a couple below yours:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/h...lters-1486508/
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L - ST - Stock (Wreaked)
Blue_Sassley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
zc911

Napa has synthetic liquid moly oil in 0w40 and 5w30 that meet the 229.3 spec. They also have the filter
zc911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:10 PM   #5
Tater2000

Thanks for the responses guys.

@imnotted Thanks I didn't know that about the .x1 spec but that should make my search easier. I was going to phone the Mercedes dealership in Edmonton tomorrow and see what their prices on filters are. I'm wary about shopping for cheap filters on ebay or whatever because I've been burnt by a fake filter before that cost me an entire new HP oil system in my Ford 6.0L I will only by my filters from reputable sellers.

@Blue Sassley Saw it, and it was of little help, I also tried searching but the search on the forums is horrible. There was a single Canadian site listed in that thread and that site sells only one type of oil that I could find that doesn't even list the weight of it. Thanks though.

zc911 Napa wants 68 dollars for 5L of liquid moly and 18dollars for 1L of liquid moly, I cut out my DPF so I wouldn't have to pay for 200 dollar oil changes any more lol. Well that and a DPF has no place on a diesel engine as far as I'm concerned. So having to pay 150 bucks just for the oil defeats any cost savings I might have gained by spending my time building an exhaust system, not only that but I sold the GDE tuner to my wife by telling her that we would recoup the cost of it in oil changes and fuel economy. I'm looking for someone to help not make a liar out of me haha.

I may just phone the MB dealership in Edmonton tomorrow and see what they recommend for an oil that is available here in Canada.
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
Blue_Sassley
2008 WK 

Tater, I can understand your frustration, I just noticed there was some other Canada postings in that thread. I know for me I spent 3 days chasing down oil just so I could top off if needed. Found some liquid moly 5-30 that match what my local dealer used (and I have looked up the Mopar Part Number to make sure they use the right stuff). Hope you find what you need.

Blue
1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0L - ST - Stock (Wreaked)
Blue_Sassley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
atarijedi
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater2000 View Post
Hi guys so I went in to book in my crd 2008 at the dealership for service and an oil change and figured I would quiz them up on their oil they use and what oil change procedure they use. They showed me oil designed for a gas engine and said they just pull the plug than fill it up. I told them that wasn't the correct oil and asked them to show me an oil that meets the Mercedes speck. They didn't have one in stock even though they were supposed to do an oil change on my jeep the next day. I cancelled the oil change so now they are just servicing it. Scared the crap out of me that they didn't know this stuff.

So my question is where can a guy find oil and filters in Canada. I live in a small town in northern Alberta so not much for options at the store. Also I've removed my dpf so u can run the 229.31 spec. please help me.
I found this place online, it is in Canada, for Oil filters.

http://www.autopartsway.ca/PartList..../pagenum1/tabS

Price seems decent, $16 for the kit.

Here is the link for all the categories for the 2008 CRD > http://www.autopartsway.ca/Category..../pagenum1/tabS

I couldn't find oil, but I am sure it exists. I think I might just hit up the local Mercedes service centre and see what their prices are. I've looked at a bunch of places, and I couldn't find Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w30 or 5w40, in Canada. Although there is something called Mobil 1 Delvac something or other, which might be the Canadian version.
atarijedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #8
Tater2000

If MB recommends 5w30 for this engine is it ok to run 5w40 because it is looking like it will be a bit easier to find.
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:50 PM   #9
Tater2000

I've fired off a few emails to totalquartz and Evolution OEM asking where there products can be purchased in Canada since they are listed in MB own documentation as making a compatible oil and also have offices in Canada. I'll report back with whatever I find out.
Unread 11-26-2013, 08:56 PM   #10
Jason911
2008 WK 

I've been using Pentosin in my CRD for almost 2 years with no ill effects. While not to easy to here in the states, I've been getting shipped over from Germany for cheap. I've been using MANN Filters HU821x. They are original equipment from Mercedes, also used by VW, Chrysler, Jeep.
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:03 PM   #11
Tater2000

Thanks for the heads up Jason I'll look into it. Does the Pentosin meet the MB specs and have you done an oil analysis on it after running it?
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
BAH101
2008 WK 

Look for a local ESSO bulk dealer. I get my Mobil 1 0W-40 from them. I do have to buy 24 liters at a time, but it doesn't go bad.
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #13
imnotted
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater2000 View Post
If MB recommends 5w30 for this engine is it ok to run 5w40 because it is looking like it will be a bit easier to find.
5w40 should be fine and have a better temperature tolerance. It'll run slightly thicker at low temps, but it's still a 5w. It should flow fine.

Last edited by imnotted; 11-26-2013 at 10:01 PM..
imnotted is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:48 PM   #14
RMC_xj
2007 WK 

I get my oil (Mobil 1 0w40) and filter (MANN) from PartSource. 10$/L for oil, 8$ for the filter.
RMC_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 11:52 PM   #15
Jason911
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tater2000
Thanks for the heads up Jason I'll look into it. Does the Pentosin meet the MB specs and have you done an oil analysis on it after running it?
Pentosin meets all of the Mercedes-Benz 229.51 spec. I've done one oil analysis since I purchased the vehicle and the oil analysis came back and said that I could actually change the oil less frequently than I was doing. I regularly change the oil and filter every 10,000 miles - for me that's an oil change about every eight months. I know that O'Reilly auto parts here in the states has the oil for about $9/liter.
Jason911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.