Oil cooler OM642 V6 cdi help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Oil cooler OM642 V6 cdi help

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 02-26-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
gaiex

Oil cooler OM642 V6 cdi help

Hello all,

I'm looking for some information on the OM642 engine, since I would like to add a extra oil cooler for hot summer days and I'm researching where to get an oil line to connect the new oil cooler.
I found these two connections on the engine block that on EPC says its a oil in and out but sometimes the EPC is not correct about the parts names, so just to confirm if any one of you guys know what is for:

gaiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
gaiex

Ok, this place it's not a good place to connect an oil cooler, but I used the right connection to install an oil temp sensor, and I found out that it's an oil channel to the oil pan, after seeing a dismantled engine to confirm.

But now I'm confused, it could be the return oil line from the block to the oil pan!
When the oil is cold, I only have temp readings (oil flow) sometimes (if I'm accelerating for example) and when hot I allways have readings/flow!

Here are some pictures of the block:
http://s1291.photobucket.com/user/ga...LK%20320%20CDI

PS: as reffered in other thread, the left oil connection on the engine block could be used to connect an extra oil filter.
gaiex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 09:12 PM   #3
suzieque
2008 WK 

I have not seen an installation of an extra engine oil cooler. I did post a PDF file that had instructions for installing an extra engine oil filtration system. Is that what you are referring to when you say the other thread?
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Xmind
2007 WK 

do you do a lot of towing or hill climbs with your CRD? If not, the stock system should be well more than sufficient even on the hot days.

that said, if you are really worried about it, it would seem the simplest solution would be to just replace the stock cooler with a much bigger unit.
Unread 08-28-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
jediknight
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaiex
Hello all,

I'm looking for some information on the OM642 engine, since I would like to add a extra oil cooler for hot summer days and I'm researching where to get an oil line to connect the new oil cooler.
I found these two connections on the engine block that on EPC says its a oil in and out but sometimes the EPC is not correct about the parts names, so just to confirm if any one of you guys know what is for:
The place you circled in red is where your oil filter housing sits in.
Unread 08-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
suzieque
2008 WK 

I recall arguing/debating the efficiency of the stock engine oil cooler. The debate centred around the location and design of the engine oil cooler. Essentially there is no way in my mind to re-use the current engine oil cooler as another location to install a better engine oil cooler.

the crd engine oil cooler is in the center of this picture http://sprinter-source.com/forum/att...3&d=1377700768
2008 WK "S" Limited bright metallic silver exterior, light graystone interior, 5 speed W5J400 transmission, June 18/2008 build, C213RE rear differential with 3.73 axle ratio, C200FE front differential with 3.73 axle ratio, 245/60R18 Goodyear Fortera tires (stock summer tires), NV245 transfer case, GT2056V turbo, 3.0L CRD (OM642.980)
suzieque is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.