off roading rausch creek help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-13-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
mattydipps
2006 WK 

off roading rausch creek help

okay so obviously im new to the whole off roading sport, ive been reading up on rausch creeks website seeing if i could find a "minimum" requirements needed for a truck to be alloud to do some off roading. i dont have any belly guards or anything all i have is the lift.

im not looking to go tomorrow, but i would like to know where i need to step up.

any info would help ...

Sold-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
Jeepers_Creeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

all you need buddy is 4wd, and meaty tires so you dont get stuck that much. get some 33 or 35 inch swampers or all terrreins tires.cant spell........but.i have 33 coopers and there pretty good and a winch.never go wheeling alone cause you could break something. my second time wheeling with my yj i was following my brother,he went up this short steep hill and made it look easy.so i followed, bounced some and kept on the gas and snaped a rear drive shaft.then wheeled in front wheel drive out of the woods and over 2 sets of running septa train tracks.it was scary.so good luck to wheeling
post #3 of 22 Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepers_Creeper View Post
all you need buddy is 4wd, and meaty tires so you dont get stuck that much. get some 33 or 35 inch swampers or all terrreins tires.cant spell........but.i have 33 coopers and there pretty good and a winch.never go wheeling alone cause you could break something. my second time wheeling with my yj i was following my brother,he went up this short steep hill and made it look easy.so i followed, bounced some and kept on the gas and snaped a rear drive shaft.then wheeled in front wheel drive out of the woods and over 2 sets of running septa train tracks.it was scary.so good luck to wheeling
i wasnt sure if you needed a cb radio or anything along those lines ... im looking at a set or duratracs 265-70-17 off craigslist right now ill pick up if the price is right

i want to go im getting the wheeling fever really bad ive been watching youtube videos and really want to enjoy my truck .. atleast once... thanks for the info

Sold-

post #4 of 22 Old 12-13-2011, 08:25 PM
CmmdrDan

First off. Don't listen to the guy who doesn't own a wk or xk.
Second. Recovery points are the first and foremost needed thing for off roading. If you go with out them and get stuck you in deep ****.
Third is protection. Skids and armor. Having some is better than none. If you have none know your limits.
Third os lift and tires. They aren't completely nessary but they are nice.
Plus you won't fit 33 to 35 inch super swappers on our jeeps.
post #5 of 22 Old 12-13-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmmdrDan View Post
First off. Don't listen to the guy who doesn't own a wk or xk.
Second. Recovery points are the first and foremost needed thing for off roading. If you go with out them and get stuck you in deep ****.
Third is protection. Skids and armor. Having some is better than none. If you have none know your limits.
Third os lift and tires. They aren't completely nessary but they are nice.
Plus you won't fit 33 to 35 inch super swappers on our jeeps.
well that makes alot of sense,.... the biggest i want to go are 265/70s i have the 2 inch rc lift on there now and i love it... next thing ill work on is the recovery points, and then throwing some armor on there... i dont plan on going untill spring/summer so hopefully ill be ahead of the game

thanks

Sold-
post #6 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 05:51 AM
paroxysym
2007 WK 

been there a bunch of times... cb isnt necessary but would be helpful. they only ask that your vehicle be in good working condition and you have a recovery point front and rear, no chains or straps with metal hooks. if you wanted to go and do just the greens to get comfortable with your vehicle, there are some great green trails up there with some great scenary. skids would help, but to be honest you can wheel with just stock skids or none on the greens, just take your time. ive wheel high blues and one black with a relatively stock XJ with just a gas tank skid.

2007.5 WK Laredo 4.7
OEM+
post #7 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 10:56 AM
WKChris89
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
well that makes alot of sense,.... the biggest i want to go are 265/70s i have the 2 inch rc lift on there now and i love it... next thing ill work on is the recovery points, and then throwing some armor on there... i dont plan on going untill spring/summer so hopefully ill be ahead of the game

thanks
Hey matt, a couple of us on here are planning to go jan. 15th if ur down and have ur tires and a recovery point. If not theres a couple trails around me that are closer so u can break ur wheeling cherry when ur all set.

06 GC Larado-3.7L, 2" RC lift, 265/70/17 Falken High Country's, 1.5 RC wheel spacers, K&N Filter, PIAA headlights, custom grill, custom scratches
post #8 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WKChris89 View Post
Hey matt, a couple of us on here are planning to go jan. 15th if ur down and have ur tires and a recovery point. If not theres a couple trails around me that are closer so u can break ur wheeling cherry when ur all set.
yeah put me down for a maybe on that, i've been looking there's a nice recovery point build thread on here from a month back that could interest me instead of spending nearly 200 bucks on recovery points, if i get all squared away by the 15th id be down to go just keeping my fingers crossed santa will bring me tires .....

starting off slow sounds really good .. maybe ill take the trip to jersey first and well have some fun

Sold-
post #9 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 01:05 PM
WKChris89
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydipps View Post
yeah put me down for a maybe on that, i've been looking there's a nice recovery point build thread on here from a month back that could interest me instead of spending nearly 200 bucks on recovery points, if i get all squared away by the 15th id be down to go just keeping my fingers crossed santa will bring me tires .....

starting off slow sounds really good .. maybe ill take the trip to jersey first and well have some fun
Hell yeah man theres tons of places right by me that we could hit up. Let me know and well tear it up.

06 GC Larado-3.7L, 2" RC lift, 265/70/17 Falken High Country's, 1.5 RC wheel spacers, K&N Filter, PIAA headlights, custom grill, custom scratches
post #10 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 01:14 PM
jeepinhokie
2004 TJ Wrangler 

RC is very fun.

stay away from the new property. its nice and difficult but the trail designations are a bit off. greens are still green, but some of the blues should be blacks. plus there arent as many by-passes in the new area. the old property has many more miles of trails and by-passes to get around difficult places.

as stated before, recovery points, straps, first aid kit and a buddy. fire extingusher is also a good thing to have.

check out my videos from RC on vimeo in my signature, it should give you a good idea of whats out there. i have 33's and open front and rear and can stay with guys on D60's and 38's, by taking by-passes and trails that run along side the difficult trails. most of the videos are of the harder obstacles.

the Duratracs should do fine at RC (what i run) but they have a weaker sidewall, so pay attention to your tire pressure.

HOKIES UNITED!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #11 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 01:24 PM
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Hey Matt, I don't remember if you have a trailer hitch or not. If you do have one and a receiver that is one recovery point at the back already. The loop of a tow strap can go around the receiver ball.

~Mike~

WK

XJ
Sept '13/Jan '15/Jun '16 COTM
post #12 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
mattydipps
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepN4KC View Post
Hey Matt, I don't remember if you have a trailer hitch or not. If you do have one and a receiver that is one recovery point at the back already. The loop of a tow strap can go around the receiver ball.
i do have a hitch and i bought one of those d-ring shackles a while back for my old car i have to see if i can locate it ... it was one like this

http://www.amazon.com/CSI-W580-Winch-Receiver-Shackle/dp/B003ZE32F8/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Sold-
post #13 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 02:14 PM
JeepN4KC

Yeah that's perfect for the rear - now all you Really need is 1 recovery point in front (hook or shackle). Most have two up front, but if you're lookin to save $ and do it quick it's a thought.

~Mike~

WK

XJ
post #14 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 02:33 PM
t3kmitch
2005 WK 

I thought someone else would say it but I'm pretty sure you need a full size spare. Not sure if they're strict on it but I've seen it as a requirement on a couple other parks.

-Sold 3/13. Replaced by 2010 VW Jetta 2.5-
2005 WK 3.7L Laredo. RC 2", 265 70 17 Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2's. Class III OEM hitch added. Bilstein Struts. Monroe Load Levelers (58643).
Blue WK Club Member #32
post #15 of 22 Old 12-14-2011, 02:58 PM
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3kmitch View Post
I thought someone else would say it but I'm pretty sure you need a full size spare. Not sure if they're strict on it but I've seen it as a requirement on a couple other parks.
Yes. Good call. Can't speak for your neck 'o the woods, but out my way most the Jeep clubs require a full size spare, along with the ORV parks. Even if they didn't it's best to have one.

~Mike~

WK

XJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.