Off-Roading Question - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Off-Roading Question

Coil Spring Options from Ruffstuff!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREEThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-22-2011, 02:48 PM   #31
WK-916

we could go on and on.... and on....

WK-916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 04:21 PM   #32
CmmdrDan

You can't stop yourself can you?
e-thug.jpg  
CmmdrDan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 11:28 AM   #33
Lifted_up
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK-916 View Post
The limited Slip feature you are referring to is call Traction Control

And you can unplug the Connector to the ABS Stepper motor to disable Traction Control without pulling a fuse

So people are saying two different things....

One is saying it Turns the TC off when in 4low

Another is saying it turn off ESP and Leaves on TC... Which one is it???

You do know ESP and Traction Control are seperate things right? ESP isn't traction control....

Can anyone clarify.....?
Ok...I'm sure you guys have it all figured out by now because you haven't posted since yesterday but I had to clarify some things.

ESP and Traction Control are not 2 separate things. Traction Control is a part of the ESP. There are many different features that make up the ESP as a whole and Traction Control is one of them so they are not different things. If you don't believe me, it's all in the owners manual. Well at least it's in mine...lol. Here's a quick quote describing partial off for the ESP.

Partial Off
This mode is entered by momentarily depressing the "ESP Control Switch". When in "Partial Off" mode, the TCS portion of ESP, except for the "limited slip" feature described in the TCS section, has been disabled and the "ESP/TCS Indicator Light" will be illuminated. All other stability features of ESP function normally. This mode is intended to be used if the vehicle is in deep snow, sand, or gravel conditions and more wheel spin than ESP would normally allow is required to gain traction. To turn ESP on again, momentarily depress the "ESP Control Switch". This will restore the normal "ESP On" mode of operation.

It clearly states that the TCS is a part of the ESP. Now, for the limited slip portion I referred to earlier. The TCS portion of ESP is made up of 2 main features. One is controlling engine power and the other monitors the amount of wheel spin and applies the brakes to the slipping wheel to transfer power. The two terms are not exactly interchangeable, but the limited slip feature is a part of the TCS. Here's where I made the mistake. I had thought that the ESP would automatically go to the "Full Off" mode when switched into 4 Low, but it states in the owners manual that "Partial Off" is the normal operating mode for ESP.

Not trying to start any arguments because we could go on forever, but I just had to clarify. Happy jeepin'!!
[09 JKU Rubicon][4.5" lift][Synergy draglink flip kit][Bushwacker flat flares][18x9 Black Eagle Alloy 197 Wheels][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers][Warrior Front Stubby Bumper w/Hidden Winch Mount][Smittybilt X20 10 Comp Series Winch][Paramount Restyling Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier][Adams Front DS][SC Flashpaq][PureJeep C Gussets][Nitro Sleeves]
Lifted_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #34
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

I've held the ESP button in while in 4LO and it did chime. For rock crawling I did not like that setting at all. I will try it next time I'm in sand and see if that works better. I keep forgetting you can do that in 4LO.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
sal-XK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
off road , traction control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.