Off-Roading Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Off-Roading Question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-22-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Off-Roading Question

So I have one question. I have an 05Wk 4.7 with QTII. When I go off-roading, I put the vehicle in 4Low via chrome T-handle. Now heres the question, when in 4low do i turn the traction control off or leave it on?

Unread 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

for QTII - I'd definitely leave it on.
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
bumzo1
2005 WK 

I may be mistaken but I think when you put it in 4lo it automatically turns off traction control
Khaki WK Club Member #1
bumzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
DarthJeep
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumzo1 View Post
I may be mistaken but I think when you put it in 4lo it automatically turns off traction control
No it stays on, but i have heard people say they turn it off but i don't know if they had QDII...etc.
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
WK-916

X2... leave it on.... Since you don't have lockers, this is the best bet for keeping traction maximized....
WK-916 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
WK-916

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthJeep View Post
No it stays on, but i have heard people say they turn it off but i don't know if they had QDII...etc.
We are talking in 4low right? (see post 1)

With QDII doesn't 4low it turns the Traction and ESP off....?

That was my impression....

Any-one concur?
Unread 04-22-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK-916 View Post
We are talking in 4low right? (see post 1)

With QDII doesn't 4low it turns the Traction and ESP off....?

That was my impression....

Any-one concur?
With QD2 it turns it off yes.. but OP has QT2.
Unread 04-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
WK-916

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoaxci5 View Post
With QD2 it turns it off yes.. but OP has QT2.
Should be the same in QT2 no?
Unread 04-22-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
kmax
2006 XK Commander 

For QDII, ESP has a 'partial-disable' mode which is performed by either pushing the ESP button (little skidding car with word "off" below it) once, or by putting the transfer case into low range. In either high or low range, you can 'fully-disable' the ESP by holding the ESP button for about 5 seconds with the Jeep stationary. The words "ESP OFF" will appear in the EVIC window.

I assume this is the same setup for QTII, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Unread 04-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
hoaxci5
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I dunno I only know QD2 so I made sure to specify so no one can tell me I'm wrong about QT2.
Unread 04-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #11
WK-916

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmax View Post
For QDII, ESP has a 'partial-disable' mode which is performed by either pushing the ESP button (little skidding car with word "off" below it) once, or by putting the transfer case into low range. In either high or low range, you can 'fully-disable' the ESP by holding the ESP button for about 5 seconds with the Jeep stationary. The words "ESP OFF" will appear in the EVIC window.

I assume this is the same setup for QTII, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You're right but we're not talking about ESP disable..

We are saying that in 4low, the traction defaults to off... so you would have no way of "choosing/selecting" to have it on or off...

I know in QDII you wouldn't want ABS based traction control when the axles are locked together....but QT2 it would make sens rot have it on to aid in wheel slip due to not having lockers...
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:44 PM   #12
Lifted_up
2009 JK Wrangler 

With QT2, putting it in 4 Low disables everything with the ESP except for the limited slip feature which uses the brakes to limit tire slip.
[09 JKU Rubicon][4.5" lift][Synergy draglink flip kit][Bushwacker flat flares][18x9 Black Eagle Alloy 197 Wheels][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers][Warrior Front Stubby Bumper w/Hidden Winch Mount][Smittybilt X20 10 Comp Series Winch][Paramount Restyling Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier][Adams Front DS][SC Flashpaq][PureJeep C Gussets][Nitro Sleeves]
Lifted_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:48 PM   #13
WK-916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted_up View Post
With QT2, putting it in 4 Low disables everything with the ESP except for the limited slip feature which uses the brakes to limit tire slip.
in other words.... Traction Control....???

So you would agree? Leave it on?
Unread 04-22-2011, 12:55 PM   #14
Lifted_up
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK-916 View Post
in other words.... Traction Control....???

So you would agree? Leave it on?
It automatically disables everything besides the limited slip feature when you shift into 4 low. No need to mess with anything. The only way to completely disable it would be to pull the abs fuse.
[09 JKU Rubicon][4.5" lift][Synergy draglink flip kit][Bushwacker flat flares][18x9 Black Eagle Alloy 197 Wheels][35" Nitto Trail Grapplers][Warrior Front Stubby Bumper w/Hidden Winch Mount][Smittybilt X20 10 Comp Series Winch][Paramount Restyling Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier][Adams Front DS][SC Flashpaq][PureJeep C Gussets][Nitro Sleeves]
Lifted_up is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2011, 01:03 PM   #15
SmallsWk
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifted_up View Post
It automatically disables everything besides the limited slip feature when you shift into 4 low. No need to mess with anything. The only way to completely disable it would be to pull the abs fuse.
This.

Mine (4.7 with QT II) turns the TC off. I only had to use 4lo a handful of times, but I left the TC Fully off while not in 4lo also.

I HATE computers telling me what/how to drive.

Tags
off road , traction control

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.