Off-roading with QTI? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Off-roading with QTI?

The Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-23-2014, 08:52 PM   #1
Mikeb093
2008 WK 

Off-roading with QTI?

Hey Guys!
I did some searching but couldnt find anything on this site.. Has anyone used the Quadra-Trac I for light off roading? I have a buddy with a 2000 Cherokee and he found this field with basically a little trail in it that has some mud and some ruts in it, etc. He did absolutely fine in a stock 2000 Cherokee. I have a 2008 GC Laredo with the QT1 with no driver input. Would i be okay in that field? I know this is probably a very dumb question, as many of you are probably shaking your heads. But is the QT1 a sufficent 4X4 system for light off roading? Or should i avoid that until i get my RC lift and bigger tires? Thanks for taking the time to read this guys!

Mike

Unread 08-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
Rollin
2005 WK 

It says Jeep on the front of the vehicle. Said vehicle also has 4x4. Drive it through the field. If you get stuck, have someone pull you out. There is no fun in it if you are always worried about it. Go out and have a good time.

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-23-2014, 09:34 PM   #3
caulk04
2008 WK 

Turn off the traction control and have some fun.
Unread 08-23-2014, 10:41 PM   #4
Mikeb093
2008 WK 

Is the traction control the button that says ESP? Why should i turn that off? Would that help?
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #5
chevra
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeb093 View Post
Is the traction control the button that says ESP? Why should i turn that off? Would that help?
Yes it is that button. With ESP on it will cut your engine power when your tires start to spin, therefore you will get stuck ha.
chevra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Mikeb093
2008 WK 

Ah! Makes sense... Thanks!
Unread 08-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
jeepin_in_a_wk
2007 WK 

I bury my 07 Laredo up to the doors every time I go out and I always out do my buddies jk mainly because he's afraid to get it dirty lol.
jeepin_in_a_wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
LouC
2007 WK 

Maybe you should make sure you have some tow hooks front and rear first, that and one size bigger tires 245/70-17. I'd also remove that front air dam and add a 4xguard front skid. The WK is lower that the old style XJ and ZJ ESP in the front. There are hydraulic hoses right under the rad, hence the need for the front skid.
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:46 PM   #9
BoraBora
2006 WK 

I wheel the piss out of my QT1. It's doable. Just fully turn off traction control and use good judgement.
2006 Black WK, Modified OME HD ~3.5'', Bilstein 5100's, 1.5" Wheel Spacers, Black JK Moabs, 285/70/R17 Duratracs, 7W Reverse LED's, tow hooks, 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill, Expanded sheet metal grill, ORT badge, Tail light guards, Firestik 3', Aux. input, Black housing headlights, Stingray roof basket, 2 Hella 500ffs on roof rack, 18% tint.
BoraBora is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #10
ca07wk
Crawl-Offroad.com
2007 WK 

Ive done quite a few moderate trails in the ol QT1, shes not a rock crawler but if you point the wheels and floor it, itll get you where you need to go
ca07wk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:06 AM   #11
oldsmoke
2009 WK 

Only thing is you don't have 4Lo with QT1 so you can't lock axles front to rear. The ESP button just disables the stability program which is intended to improve directional stability ( stop you from going into a skid and losing control on slippery roads ). You don't want it on for mudrunning. The traction control on my Jeep with QT2 still seems to work with the ESP turned off. I have done some rough terrain hill climbing and the traction control pulls thru very well.
Unread 08-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #12
LouC
2007 WK 

We have wheeled our 98 ZJ on the beach many many times, it has open diffs, but with selectrac you can lock it in part time 4x4. Never needed 4-low. Never had a problem, aired down. It has Bilsteins and LT 235/75-15 tires on it. The WK can do well off road but its too low and the wimpy 65 series tires do not air down well. You need at least a 70 series to get good squat and not lose too much clearance. 245/70-17 is the minimum tire size that I'd use for wheeling a WK....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.