Off Road Trip - Pine Barrens Photos and Videos - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Off Road Trip - Pine Barrens Photos and Videos

CurrieSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
chriscalcaterra
2006 WK 

Off Road Trip - Pine Barrens Photos and Videos

Hey Guys,

Wanted to share some photos and videos of my trip this past weekend. We had a great time, the park was really wet with a lot of sand, water, and some mud.

Driving into the park:

Right after I pulled my buddy out of a sand trap:

Which then caused me to get stuck:

You can tell I was pretty pissed, I don't even know why he was messing around in the sand:

This is where the Wrangler was stuck, it looks lame but he literally sunk right in past his axles, it was really wet out there:

One of the first water pits we encountered:

My friends xTerra Entering:

My Truck Entering:

My Truck Exiting:

My Buddy Stuck Again (He had water fill up the cabin):

Here are some videos:

Wrangler traversing watering hole:

xTerra entering traversing, waaaaay to fast:

My Overland traversing watering hole:

My Overland and some deep water:

Wrangler in another water pit:

Overland and Wrangler Messing Around:

My Overland got stuck really bad, I entered a deep mud hole and wound up high centered. My wheels were just spinning and I couldn't get traction no matter what I put under the tires. My buddy tried pulling me with his Wrangler, no dice, then both the xTerra and Wrangler tried, no dice. We ended up pulling her from behind with the Wrangler while three guys pushed the front and we finally got her out, took over an hour.

This video shows the Wrangler trying to pull solo from the front, and my truck is literally an anchor, not even budging:

I know there is nothing crazy in here, but since you guys always share your photos/videos I figured I would share mine. Now that the group I go with is learning more and more, we hope to get a little more aggressive with the next trip.

2006 GC Overland | 5.7L Hemi w/QDII | 2'' BDS Lift | 31.5'' Bridgestone Revo 2's | SuperChips (87 Octane Tune) | Bilstein Shocks | Stock Skids | Magnaflow Muffler (11226) | Stillen Pads/Rotors | Kicker System |
chriscalcaterra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

Nice stuff man remember it's not about one upping each other it's just about getting out there and having fun. I couldn't tell in the video but it didn't look like the guy trying to pull you out was getting a good running start. It's that forward momentum or mass in motion that pulls you out. If you tighten the strap and just start pulling that usually never works.
sal-XK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

nice post man, looks like it was fun.

always a learning experience no matter how many times you've been out.
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #4
chriscalcaterra
2006 WK 

Sal-XK:

All of the guys out there had a 20,000 recovery strap. The only thing we were worried about was ripping something off our trucks. We were all attached by factory tow points, we weren't using anything else. How does one use the recovery strap properly? How much is too much?

Thanks for any pointers!
2006 GC Overland | 5.7L Hemi w/QDII | 2'' BDS Lift | 31.5'' Bridgestone Revo 2's | SuperChips (87 Octane Tune) | Bilstein Shocks | Stock Skids | Magnaflow Muffler (11226) | Stillen Pads/Rotors | Kicker System |
Unread 06-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
BonesWK
Web Wheeler

2006 WK 

when I was buried it took a f250 with a head start to snatch me out. In mud its more of a jerk motion than anything because its so soft. just a decent snatch motion works. use your judgement. The factory tow points are designed for that abuse.

The only worry is the strap breaking - this is why you dont use metal chains or straps with metal hooks at the end.
If you want to achieve greatness, stop asking for permission
BonesWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
paroxysym
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscalcaterra View Post
Sal-XK:

All of the guys out there had a 20,000 recovery strap. The only thing we were worried about was ripping something off our trucks. We were all attached by factory tow points, we weren't using anything else. How does one use the recovery strap properly? How much is too much?

Thanks for any pointers!
the factory tow points are def made to take the abuse. lol the rear tow hook ties into the frame twice on the WK (at least i think it does from the bracket that its attached to), so it will take alot to damage or rip that off the rig.
Unread 06-29-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
chriscalcaterra
2006 WK 

Sal,

Thanks for the tips, I feel more comfortable knowing the limits. I will have to try this if we get stuck next time.

Chris
Unread 06-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
Devilsmed98
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like a good time man! Hit me up the next time you take a trip, I'll bring the YJ down there and wheel with ya.
~Black WK Club Member #9~
2011 WKII Overland
2007 WK Limited[/COLOR]
1995 YJ Rio Grande
Devilsmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #9
AJeepZJ
2006 WK 

Nice pics amd vids.... Sal always has some good pointers he does Sand, Mud, Rocks... Lol he's a beast.. but good post.
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
paroxysym
2007 WK 

you experience any rubbing with just a 2" and 31+" tires?
Unread 06-29-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
chriscalcaterra
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paroxysym
you experience any rubbing with just a 2" and 31+" tires?
Only the very slightest at absolute full lock, meaning I'm holding the wheel to keep the wheels locked.

I have no problems with compression of the shocks or anything. My tires are great but they don't have a very aggressive tread. I'm sure if the tread was more aggressive I would have slightly more rubbing.

-Chris
Unread 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM   #12
jager00
2005 WK 

Well thanksfor the invite!

2005 WK 9" lift on 37's with all the goodies- regretfully sold :(
jager00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
sal-XK
2007 XK Commander 

A tow\recovery strap is really for towing and pulling but a lot of people use them to yank people. You're suppose to use a snatch strap\rope to yank people out with a running start. It stretches under load so it has some give then recoils back helping snatch the stuck vehicle. Using a two strap in this way is really no big deal and works fine just thought I would explain what the differences are. Also if after several failed attempts reevaluate your situation if you're in mud lets say a suction can hold you in and will need to be broken usually by jacking the vehicle up. Some times you just need to air down your tires so you can float the tires once you get moved a little bit. The important thing to remember is have fun don't panic getting stuck is part of the fun to be had out there. So get out of your jeep have a good laugh about it and come up with a plan calmly and take lots of pictures.
sal-XK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-30-2011, 02:08 PM   #14
chriscalcaterra
2006 WK 

Sal-XK:

I purposely bought one of those Smittybilt 20,000LB Recovery straps. I had read prior that using a tow strap in these kinds of situations is not ideal. It's weird because your instinct is to pull taught and then move foward, yanking seems kinda scary. After being reassured that yanking won't damage anything (as long as it's done within reason) I will be less hesitant the next time.

This past circumstance was the worst that I have ever been stuck, getting passed that will make getting stuck in the future more of a comedic event. All this stuff was going through my head, how am I going to get out, what if I have to leave the truck here, etc. At least now I know that it isn't the end of the world and there are always a few tricks that can be use.

Thanks again!
Unread 12-04-2014, 07:25 PM   #15
DragoonLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

years late on this thread but oh well. Thats mostly the area me and my buddies call "mud road". Great trail, the picture of the LJ taken on water is not only a deep hole, but its also a turn. Good stuff.
DragoonLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.