Oducks build thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Oducks build thread

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!KOR Labor Week Sale and Giveaway

Unread 09-25-2012, 09:44 PM   #61
Jvenrick

2007 WK 

Dude that looks great!! Your just not stopping!! Ha. great work dude! How hard was the wiring?

2007 Grand Cherokee Rocky Mountain Edition: 4.7L V8- QTII- Green- Mopar Recovery Hooks Front/Rear- 2in Rough Country lift- 265/70/17 Cooper discover AT3's- 1in BORA wheel spacers- Rola roof basket with extension- F-150 Monroe load levelers- Putco window vents- plasti-dipped wheels- Stillen rotors and pads- solid diff cover- N Dure tail light guards
Jvenrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #62
oducks12
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvenrick View Post
Dude that looks great!! Your just not stopping!! Ha. great work dude! How hard was the wiring?
Haha I've got some extra time on my hands so figured I would take care of some business. The wiring is pretty easy. I don't have a lot of experience doing wiring so I went slow making sure I didn't *** anything up.

Today I installed two Hella 500ff's behind the grill. Installation was easy enough, and it's great to see that my wiring for the switches works the way I want it to. I didn't make any brackets for the lights, just drilled directly into the radiator support. I think that I will make some brackets to lower them so they're centered in the grill. Eventually I'll put some PIAA Crystal Ion bulbs in and use them as foul weather lights.
photo-copy-2.jpg   photo-copy.jpg  
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
oducks12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #63
ItsMeKO3
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks sick man. I just upgraded mine to 100W bulbs and redid the wiring with 12 AWG. They're 10x brighter than they were lol.
Unread 09-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #64
06WKHEMI
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeKO3
Looks sick man. I just upgraded mine to 100W bulbs and redid the wiring with 12 AWG. They're 10x brighter than they were lol.
I gotta do that
2006 Black wk overland HEMI QDII. OME HD bilstein struts with 58643 monroe load levelers RRO uca, afe cold air intake,hella 500FF behind grille, RC 1.5 wheel spacers s4xc cb antenna mount with 5ft firestik and midland 1001wx CB,265/70-17 falken rockymountain ats, pinch weld mod, door lock mod, Rola basket with 2 Hella 500 FF`s.
06WKHEMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #65
BigBassCatcher

Can you post a step by step on how to black out the lights?
BigBassCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #66
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12 View Post
For now I have ordered two plug fillers. In the future there may be use for those spots though! I took my patents wheeling last weekend, at the end they said they had a great time and that I need a winch, so maybe a winch! Also thinking about adding a rear locker...if I can save enough. Those things are $$$$$
Just wondering what exactly a rear locker is? I have the QT1 system same as you. I've heard of guys talking about them on here and they sound complicated but I was just wondering if you could give a brief explanation.
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #67
oducks12
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassCatcher View Post
Can you post a step by step on how to black out the lights?
Are you talking about the headlights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15 View Post
Just wondering what exactly a rear locker is? I have the QT1 system same as you. I've heard of guys talking about them on here and they sound complicated but I was just wondering if you could give a brief explanation.
Here is my limited ability to explain: The qt1 system has open differentials in both the front and the rear. An open differential allows the wheels on either side of the axel to move at different speeds, ie when turning. Open diffs are great for on road use, but when off road it allows the engine to send power to the axel with the LEAST traction, not the most. A locker "locks" the differential so that both wheel turn exactly the same, if one wheel is turning the other is turning too. In an off road situation this is much better because even if one wheel is stuck / spinning the other wheel with traction will still move the car. A locker is installed by taking out part of the differential and replacing it with the "locker", which is activated by air pressure. Total components required to run a locker are; the locker itself, air compressor designed for locker use, and suitable switches. Unfortunately the lockers cost $$$$$$$, so we'll see if it ever happens for me. Hopefully this explains it a little!
[COLOR="DarkGreen"][SIZE="1"][CENTER]Silver WK Club Member #35 | 2005 WK 3.7 Laredo | Hypertech 52001 programmer | K&N Intake | Magnaflow 50 series muffler | Navigation | Rola rack | 2 Hella 500ff's behind grill | 2 KC Daylighters on roof | ARB on board air compressor | 265 70 17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's | Pinch weld and rear fender trim | Spidertrax 1.5" spacers | expanded metal grill | LED stack lights | Monroe LL shocks | Bilstein HD struts | Rough Country 2" lift | Kenwood amp w/ two Alpine type R 10" subs[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[CENTER][SIZE="2"]See How It Was Made [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/oducks-build-thread-1385731/"][B][COLOR="Black"]HERE[/COLOR][/B][/URL][/SIZE][/CENTER]
Unread 09-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #68
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12

Are you talking about the headlights?

Here is my limited ability to explain: The qt1 system has open differentials in both the front and the rear. An open differential allows the wheels on either side of the axel to move at different speeds, ie when turning. Open diffs are great for on road use, but when off road it allows the engine to send power to the axel with the LEAST traction, not the most. A locker "locks" the differential so that both wheel turn exactly the same, if one wheel is turning the other is turning too. In an off road situation this is much better because even if one wheel is stuck / spinning the other wheel with traction will still move the car. A locker is installed by taking out part of the differential and replacing it with the "locker", which is activated by air pressure. Total components required to run a locker are; the locker itself, air compressor designed for locker use, and suitable switches. Unfortunately the lockers cost $$$$$$$, so we'll see if it ever happens for me. Hopefully this explains it a little!
Wow this was unbelievably helpful man. I totally understand now. Sucks that they're wicked expensive though. Is this something you'd have to have installed at a dealer?
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM   #69
BigBassCatcher

Yeah, like how you got them off and all the steps to painting them and that stuff
BigBassCatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2012, 11:39 AM   #70
jeremyc653
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theogriff15

Wow this was unbelievably helpful man. I totally understand now. Sucks that they're wicked expensive though. Is this something you'd have to have installed at a dealer?
You can do it yourself nothing needs to be done at a dealer ship on a scale 1-6 ( six being hard it must be 4 or 5
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:38 PM   #71
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Ya I guess u could do everything yourself. How much are the lockers you think?
Unread 09-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #72
oducks12
2005 WK 

The locker for our jeeps (nobody makes a front locker for us) is $995.

Unread 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM   #73
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12 View Post
The locker for our jeeps (nobody makes a front locker for us) is $995.
Holy $$$$, and thats not even including the compressor and everything to run that! hahaha I can see why almost no ones done it
Unread 09-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #74
oducks12
2005 WK 

Yeah exactly. Im not sure how much of a difference it would make without having a low range tcase. Obviously there would be more traction, but the 3.7 is a little lacking on the power side so the locker might not be useful. We need someone who has done it to give us some reviews!!

Unread 09-27-2012, 04:39 PM   #75
Theogriff15
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oducks12
Yeah exactly. Im not sure how much of a difference it would make without having a low range tcase. Obviously there would be more traction, but the 3.7 is a little lacking on the power side so the locker might not be useful. We need someone who has done it to give us some reviews!!
Yeah very true and ya how helpful would that be eh? Btw great job on the lights behind the grill I think that's been put on the list of mods to do to mine

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.