Odd question here.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Odd question here..

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 05-29-2014, 02:01 PM   #1
rulother
Grizzly
2008 WK 

Odd question here..

Recently purchased a 2008 3.7 WK and loving it. Made an attempt to change the oil, but the plug was on there good. I had to take it to the shop, and after they inspected it for a bit, they told me I had a different/newer engine on there. Still a 3.7L, just a few model years newer. I found that odd as the carfax report mentioned nothing about about a complete engine swap or anything of that sort, also the milage on the report matched what I had on the dashboard. The shop owners mention it was common if a repair shop messed up an engine they would go out and replace it, which may of been the case with mine. The differences being, the oil pan was in the reverse order and the oil filter was a different size from what the 2008 3.7L engine should be. My question to you, how do I figure out what exact engine do I have? I'm told there should be a serial number somewhere on the engine. Any help would be great here.

rulother is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
imthehink
2005 WK 

Maybe this will help you:
imthehink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2014, 06:43 AM   #3
rulother
Grizzly
2008 WK 

Ah thank you sir!
Unread 05-30-2014, 10:42 AM   #4
caulk04
2008 WK 

There's not really room for a different oil pan...what kind of shop did you go to?

Perhaps they're used to seeing the 3.7 in Liberty's or trucks?

The filter issue could be as simple as the change from SAE to metric threads...I know the HEMI changed in or around 08, perhaps the 3.7 did as well.
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
modernblueWK

4.7 did too. In 2008. I had to look up 2009 filters for awhile
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
rulother
Grizzly
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by caulk04 View Post
There's not really room for a different oil pan...what kind of shop did you go to?

Perhaps they're used to seeing the 3.7 in Liberty's or trucks?

The filter issue could be as simple as the change from SAE to metric threads...I know the HEMI changed in or around 08, perhaps the 3.7 did as well.
I haven't checked the engine number yet, but what I can tell you from what I've seen myself. The plug for the oil pan was on the opposite side from other jeeps I've seen in the past, others being another 2008 WK 3.7L. So much so that there was no way a fumoto oil drain valve could fit on it, which was disappointing and frustrating as well.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.