Odd Fuel Gauge Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Odd Fuel Gauge Issue

Dana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 02-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Sciotojeeper

Odd Fuel Gauge Issue

Last week when I started up my 05' GC (4.7) My fuel gauge was reading empty eventhough I had just filled up the evening before. As I drove to work, it slowly creeped up to 1/2 tank. On my way home that evening, it was reading 3/4 full, but than empty again the next morning! Any idea what the problem could be? Seems to fluctuate, but seemingly never accurate.

Sciotojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
Walt
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciotojeeper View Post
Last week when I started up my 05' GC (4.7) My fuel gauge was reading empty eventhough I had just filled up the evening before. As I drove to work, it slowly creeped up to 1/2 tank. On my way home that evening, it was reading 3/4 full, but than empty again the next morning! Any idea what the problem could be? Seems to fluctuate, but seemingly never accurate.
PITA check is to drop the tank and see if the float is hanging up. If it were not free, it could behave like the symptoms that you describe.

Of course, the best time is when the tank is nearly empty (and you never really know that or you wouldn't have posted here). Unfortunately, I think it's in the top of the tank with the fuel pump. I watched as the dealer dropped the tank to replace the one in my '00 GC Laredo (WJ). He used a jack and it was on a lift because the fuel tank was almost full and the recall had been issued by Jeep. Weight was 20 gal x 7 lbs/gal = almost 150 lbs!

If you do it, the resistance of the tank level float should go from min to max as it goes through it's travel arc. Can also verify that there are no burrs, obstructions or other foreign object hangups in the swing path.

Recommend that you first get underneath to verify that all electrical connections to the tank are tight & clean. May not be very easy, considering where they are (mostly on top). There may be room for a small mirror to look "over the top". Electronic contact cleaner sometimes helps remove corrosion. If you use it, be very careful, as some of these are highly flammable. Good ventilation is a must.

Please keep us posted. Best of luck and hope it's minor............
HEMI CLUB MEMBER #45; SILVER WK CLUB MEMBER #13
'08 WK GC Limited. 5.7L HEMI. Quadra-Trac II. Bright Silver Metallic. Class IV hitch.
Michelin LTX M/S tires. Fumoto oil drain valve. Billet Technology oil catch can.
Walt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Scioto, did you have any luck?

My gas gauge took a dump this morning. It's raining, a lot, and there's a ton of water on the street. So I hope when things dry out the gauge might return from vacation.
Unread 04-17-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
merlinTec

Hi
This is interesting love an update as if this was an export model there is a flash for CCN for this issues but can't see anything for the WK.
Unread 04-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #5
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Thanks Merlin.

What is CCN?

Yesterday, after a long break in the rain the gauge started working. Mostly. It was still intermittent, but mostly working. It was strange. One minute it would work, then after restarting the Jeep it would not. That leads me to believe it's not a stuck float.

It started raining hard again, about 2" in an hour or two like it does around here this time of year, and the gauge went out again. Today it's clear, so we'll see how goes.
Unread 04-18-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

No problems all day today now that the sun is out. I'm leaning towards a problem with the connection at this point.
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
merlinTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas WJ View Post
Thanks Merlin.

What is CCN?

Yesterday, after a long break in the rain the gauge started working. Mostly. It was still intermittent, but mostly working. It was strange. One minute it would work, then after restarting the Jeep it would not. That leads me to believe it's not a stuck float.

It started raining hard again, about 2" in an hour or two like it does around here this time of year, and the gauge went out again. Today it's clear, so we'll see how goes.
Sorry CCN is the cluster.
Unread 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
Texas WJ
Web Wheeler

2005 WK 

Thanks for your input as always Merlin.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.