Odd Coolant Leak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Odd Coolant Leak?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

Odd Coolant Leak?

Hello All,

I'm driving a 06 XK HEMI.

So today I lost all of my coolant out of an odd place.

My engine was getting a little warmer than normal so I stopped to look under the hood. I was dripping coolant at the round plastic piece (with star shaped threads) under the radiator cap. I let the car cool down to handle and found the little star cap loose. So I hand tightened it. Would this the cause of my coolant problems? What would this mean?

Scott

2013-06-14-20.18.08__1371256749_75.69.124.230.jpg

Contrabassoon86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:29 AM   #2
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

If you're talking about the thingy to the right of the "6" in your picture, mine has what looks like a non removeable cover over it, and it is totally dry. Nothing, like your little "star cap" is exposed. You may want to go to the stealer and look at their illustrated parts breakdown and check if that is a separate item that you can purchase. Otherwise, that plastic "T" housing that the radiator cap sits on is part of the radiator. Better hope you don't have to replace the whole thing.....$$$$$$$.

Edit: This is real interesting. I just did a quick look at the FSM and, of course, I couldn't find anything regarding this part. So, I don't know what it's for, why it's there, what it does, or ??? If it doesn't appear to be a critical component (if it was I am sure they would talk about it), maybe you could just figure out a way to secure a cap onto it. You may also want to look around, maybe in the belly pan to see if it fell in there or onto some of the suspension components. I am going to go back out to mine and study it a little more.
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
90grandoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

OK, can you post up a better picture of the area you're talking about? I took my cap off, pinched off the hose to the recovery system, withdrew some coolant, and stuck my finger in it. Mine just has the cap, nothing else behind it.....if we're talking about the same thing???
06 GCO, Dk Khaki, QDII, Flshing Hi 3rd Bk Lt, MDS "ON" Lt, Airtab Vortex Gens, Debadged, Fumoto Drain Valve, BT Catch Can, Chopped EGR Tube, SRT8 CAI, K&N Filter, Sonnax Trans Line Press Booster, SC Tuner W/Adv Trans Tune App, DS Tuner, Cust tubular hdrs w/3 in Magnaflow/Xlerator AP Exh Sys, Bilsteins, SRT Springs/Sways, Cust Eng Cvr, SRT8 frt/rear bumpers, FRI Sidewinder Cam/6.1 valvetrain, SLP 25% UD Pulley, BBK true 90mm T-Body, SOS Ign Coils w/.060 spark plug gaps, SRT Reps with 265/45&295/40X20's.
Unread 06-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #4
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

This car is new to me and I have found a few jimmied fixes on it. Since there is just supposed to be cap on the end of that pipe, my guess is that it was replaced with this plastic piece. Does anybody have a picture of what is suppose to be?
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Mine is a flat cap that appears to slide inside and is sealed in some way. You might try to find a PVC or ABS plug that will either slide inside or slip over the outside that piece. Only thing I don't know is if they make a high temp PCV/ABS cement, and if it is compatible with the plastic on the radiator. I suppose you could use JB-Weld or high temp RTV sealant?? I think I would try to insure that it wouldn't come out again too.....perhaps a brass screw or two threaded and sealed into the cap and tube.

Another thing you could do is get a screw in replacement freeze plug. They will withstand the heat, and have an expandable (by tightening a bolt) rubber piece that presses up against the inner wall of the engine or, in your case, the inner wall of the radiator tube. Only thing with that is, if you tighten it too tight you could split the plastic.

Before doing any of this though, I'd go check the dealer's parts breakdown. They may be able to shed some light on it. After looking at that setup, it sure looks Mickey Mouse.
Unread 06-15-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for the advice. I agree with the mickey mouse comment. Looks like they only used one butt cheek on this one.
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Karlinwa
1989 FSJ Cherokee 

I have the same thing on a 2000 Grand Cherokee.
Karlinwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #8
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

I got the issue fixed by putting a new o ring on the cap and globing silicone sealant on. It seems to be holding. I'll put it to the test on the next hot day.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
90grandoneer
2006 WK 

Definitely keep a close eye on it (and the temp. gauge).....like maybe every time after you drive it until you have a little more confidence in it. You don't want to repeatedly overheat the engine, or you could end up with much more serious issues.
Unread 06-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
Contrabassoon86
2006 XK Commander 

Thanks for the advice. Took it for a long drive today. The seal looks good. Temp never went above 12 o'clock on the gauge.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.