Occasional 5.7 long crank to start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Occasional 5.7 long crank to start

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 11-29-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Occasional 5.7 long crank to start

I have a 2005 Hemi WK that currently has 75k miles, bought it around 60k. I drove it for a year and had an occasional slow start, as in it would crank for 5 seconds or so and then start. Usually it would fire right up, but it always started. I'd say 1 in 20 starts had a delay, both with the engine hot and cold.

My wife now drives the Jeep and recently mentioned that she noticed this same thing (which surprised me, as she notices nothing, so I'm making progress with her). I'm more worried about it dying with her driving the Jeep than when I am, so I'd like to figure out what is causing the problem.

My guess was a bad Crank Position Sensor, but really not sure. I've searched the forum and most similar post I found was of a 3.7 that thought a fuse box was to blame, then a fuel pump. I didn't see a follow up post saying that worked.

Unread 11-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
ech0sh4y
2005 KJ Liberty 

Mine does the same thing... although I have a 135,000 miles on it! Never left me stranded. So I didn't really bother figureing it out... should be intersteing to see what others have to say though..

~ Brian
2005 KJ CRD
2008 JK
ech0sh4y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
wcjr
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I have noticed a lot of threads about the long crank with no solutions posted.
Unread 06-21-2014, 12:09 PM   #4
jblakeman
2007 WK 

This thread a bit dated however I have this same issue. Seems to only occur after the Jeep sits (cold overnight) or hot after about an hour or so.....it will always start right up it shut down for a quick run into a store or something...

It's had the 60K service (Mopar plugs / EGR valve), new battery over the winter, and just replaced crank / cam sensors. I'm leary about going to the dealer so looking for suggestions?

Jon
jblakeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
blizzboy283
2005 WK 

Sounds like the starter.
05 WK LTD 5.7L Hemi QD II Midnight Blue Pearl, Blue WK Club member #30
Intune, AFE Stage 2 CAI, BT Catch Can, Gibson Cat-back, OME HD, 255/75/17 BFG KM1s, 1.25" Spidertrax, LED Interior, Reverse & Tail Lights, 3/4" Grille, Chrome Fuel Door & handles, SRT8 Pedals, Taylor Shorties, XK knob, 4xGuard Front 4 & Rear Diff.
blizzboy283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2014, 04:01 AM   #6
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzboy283
Sounds like the starter.
I don't know where my response went , and it was a long one, but mine needed up being the starter. Eventually it failed and after replacing, slow start is gone. Been a few years since.
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #7
jblakeman
2007 WK 

Ok, looks like I'll be buying a starter this weekend....is this a simple R&R...last starter I replaced was on a 95 Jeep with the 4.0...took about 1/2 hour. Also should I address the power wire terminal issue I've been hearing about (corrosion) and any difference between picking up a NAPA starter vs. Mopar....

Thanks again,

Jon
jblakeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2014, 11:07 AM   #8
Jeeprage
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblakeman View Post
Ok, looks like I'll be buying a starter this weekend....is this a simple R&R...last starter I replaced was on a 95 Jeep with the 4.0...took about 1/2 hour. Also should I address the power wire terminal issue I've been hearing about (corrosion) and any difference between picking up a NAPA starter vs. Mopar....

Thanks again,

Jon
It is not easy. I rebuilt my CJ in my garage myself, including paint, and even I brought the WK to the dealer. Granted it was dead in the driveway and raining hard, and wife needed it the next day.

You need to drop skid plate and remove a driveshaft if I recall correctly. Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.