Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

O8 GC Steering Shudder Help

763 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  tom19511 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

New to this forum as I just bought a 2008 Grand Cherokee Limited with 98K on Monday. It has the 5.7 Hemi and quadra-drive 4x4. I have only driven it 4 or 5 times since buying it from the dealership.

The second day of owning it, I noticed when I was backing out of my driveway and turning, there was a slight vibration. I thought maybe the tires were running somewhere.

Now When I went to pull out of my garage today and turned, I noticed some shuddering and vibration that comes through the steering wheel. I can't turn either direction without this shuddering occurring. I relate the feeling/sound to having 4x4 engaged while making a turn on dry pavement.

If you guys have any ideas on what this could be, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not new to working on vehicles, but I am new with this GC platform. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
Can you isolate it to the driveline or steering? If it's driveline related and 'binding' it could be that someone changed the diff fluid and did not put in the necessary LSD additive (it helps the clutches move smoothly). I always recommend using the OE fluid.

#3 ·
I was thinking it was more driveline related. I drove my jeep again about a half hour ago. When I pulled out of my garage and turned, the binding occurred again. It did this for 3 more turns (left and right turns). I then drove on a straight away for awhile and the next time I turned, it was gone. The rest of my drive it was not binding.

Just from what I have read on other threads, I was leaning towards the fluids. I'm going to attempt to change the front and rear diff fluid. Hopefully that will prevent it from acting up in the future. I will post updates when I get it finished.

Thanks for your help!!

#8 ·
I'd also look into the transfer case fluid. Our transfer cases also use clutches to engage and disengage the 4WD, and it requires a special fluid as well that should be honey colored. If you have pink fluid then someone just put auto transmission fluid in it instead.

#9 ·
I got the rear fluid changed today. Have to work tonight and then I'll change the front tomorrow morning. Hoping this will do the trick.

Thanks for all of your guys' help. I'm used to working on my 94' Camaro project car. This jeep platform is all new to me.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.