Not so bad afterall..... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Not so bad afterall.....

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-11-2007, 07:18 AM   #1
NancyN1020

Not so bad afterall.....

Ok, so despite all the technical issues I've had with my '06 Commander, she impressed me on Wednesday!

I had to take a trip that was 250 miles one way and upon filling up right before I left, I made it to my destination with no stops and still had about 75 miles to empty. I've been here for 2 days now and still haven't put gas in the car.

That impressed me, cause when I had my Liberty and made these trips, it was three tanks worth of gas for one trip - start, middle, and end! So maybe the Commander's not so bad afterall.

I have found that I seem to get the best mileage if I let the tank go to almost empty before filling up again - maybe it's just me.

NancyN1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:40 AM   #2
T-Rated

What makes you think you get better mileage if you let the tank go to empty? How much better is it?

While I'm glad that you're pleased with the mileage, getting 300 miles in a tank isn't much of which to be proud. Jeeps just aren't known for the good mileage, and even with a 20 gallon tank, it still doesn't get many people to their destinations in one tank. In my old Ranger, I could go from Los Angeles to Tahoe and just barely make it with a 20 gallon tank of gas, and that's nearly 500 miles.

As you know, stopping for gas is a hassle. I really don't mind the mileage, but a bigger tank would be nice, even if it does cost a fortune to fill.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 07:59 PM   #3
Jeepconvert

Good mileage is the 40+ mpg I got in a TDI Golf going from Venice to Munich in 6 hours. I'm still lucky to get 15mpg with ove 7k on the clock now, and a new air filter. I've been thinking about hooking my wideband up to see how rich these run.
Unread 05-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #4
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepconvert
I'm still lucky to get 15mpg with ove 7k on the clock now
With a V8? Combined mileage? What's the problem?

Up until recently, my father was getting about 14 with the 4.7. Once he got past the break-in period, and threw in some synthetic oil, he's averaging 17 combined. 19-20 on the highway.

It's a 5000lb vehicle, you can't really expect much better. I don't think it's running THAT rich that it would effect mileage without causing problems with how it runs.

And especially with how much the EPA has screwed up with mileage estimations, it surprises me that people are actually close to what the window sticker read.

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #5
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyN1020
I've been here for 2 days now and still haven't put gas in the car.
He called a Jeep a CAR.

Just wait 'til they shove the CRDs into the XKs.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 10:10 PM   #6
T-Rated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_on
He called a Jeep a CAR.

Just wait 'til they shove the CRDs into the XKs.
I pity a "he" whose name is "Nancy." Probably got/gets picked on a lot.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L • Bells • Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks • Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails • Flowmaster 70 • 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2007, 11:34 PM   #7
jeep_on

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rated
I pity a "he" whose name is "Nancy." Probably got/gets picked on a lot.
LMAO. My bad. I saw the name, but didn’t think any thing about at time.

We had an Australian family move in a few house down from us when I was in school. I first noticed their daughter (but that’s besides the point). They also had a son who was my age and his name was Ashley. One guy at school decided he wanted pick on him for his name, well it turns out Ashley knew how to defend him self, and needless to say, no one messed with him after that.

Waiting on a 2013 RHD JK Unlimited

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM Thor View Post
Wait, you can't cross creeks up there? What the Hell is up with these Canadians?
jeep_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 12:22 PM   #8
NancyN1020

Ok boys, very cute....

I AM a she!!! Chicks can drive JEEPS too ya know....my apologies for calling it a car.....I'm sitting in class so I was trying to be quick about it.

My job requires me to drive from one end of NJ or NY to the other all the time, so believe me, when comparing it to past cars...er, JEEPS....300 miles before filling up is a huge relief to me....

And seeing as I spend 8+ hours a day in the vehicle, I'll take the roomy Jeep over some little itty bitty car.
Unread 05-12-2007, 12:28 PM   #9
NancyN1020

What makes me think it is I'm a clueless, blonde female who just believes I do!

Or the fact that I hit reset on my mpg everytime I get gas - without fail, from "E" it shoots up to 17.5 - 18.5 after driving - from anywhere else, it goes up to between 14-15. Pretty much the same speed/type of driving done right after.

Of course, it could have something to do with all the computer problems I've had and am having.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.