Noob Lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Noob Lift question

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 09-08-2012, 09:57 PM   #1
Yillb

Noob Lift question

sorry for sounding a bit slow beforehand.

Im wanting to go through shallow water, about 2 - 4 inches, no more than 5. I was wanting to put a small lift on the Jeep ( maybe two inches ? ) ride quality id like to stay about the same, and i don't want to have to "tune" anything, would in need bigger tires ? would i need to tune anything, would 2 inches be enough to be going through that kinda water anyways, this isn't for mudding or going fast through any type of off road stuff either, i just go through a lot of murky / 3-4 inch deep water for work.

sorry if this was covered, i couldn't even find a search button.

It's the 3.7, non 4x4.

Yillb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Stock WKs can ford 18 inches of water per the owners manual.

Putting a lift on your Jeep doesn't require anything else. The reason people put bigger tires on a lifted rig is the tire size determines your clearance - not the lift. Not to mention, lifted rigs withstock size tires look - well - stupid. The reason folks add a tuner is to recalibrate the shift points in the tranny and recalibrate the speedo due to bigger tires.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Yillb

so lifting and adding larger tires will make the speedo wrong, unless calibrated correctly ?

Also, thanks for the info, i had no idea 18in was safe.. that kinda makes me feel stupid now lol .
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
WhiteMtnJeep
The Punk Made My Day.....

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Stock.you can cross water 12"+ deep without issue. If you are concerned you should extend the breather hoses for the trans and t-case. The one for the t-case is most likely sitting on top of the t-case. Do a search, there are a few threads about it here.

Journeyman Polyphase Meterman IBEW Local 387

Work with enthusiasm as though you were working for the Lord rather than for man.

http://www.treadlightly.org/

Siena Jeep Owner's Member 25

/l ,[____],
l---L -0lllllll0-

()_) ()_)-O-)_)
WhiteMtnJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillb
so lifting and adding larger tires will make the speedo wrong, unless calibrated correctly ?

Also, thanks for the info, i had no idea 18in was safe.. that kinda makes me feel stupid now lol .
Only the tire size will affect the speedo, Odo, tranny, etc. If you increase the diameter of the tire it will turn fewer times than the stock size while traveling the same distance.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:16 PM   #6
Yillb

is doing the lift something i can do myself ( not mechanically inclined ? ) ive never even see one done.
and im not concerned so much as i am worried all the sticks floating in this nasty water will just screw up the paint, which is why i was hoping to keep the bottom of the actual paint from getting wet. i figured another 2 inches, and id be clear for the little waves, and such.
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
JeepN4KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yillb
is doing the lift something i can do myself ( not mechanically inclined ? ) ive never even see one done.
and im not concerned so much as i am worried all the sticks floating in this nasty water will just screw up the paint, which is why i was hoping to keep the bottom of the actual paint from getting wet. i figured another 2 inches, and id be clear for the little waves, and such.
If your not mechanically inclined I'm guessing you don't have a relatively decent collection of tools - so I'd say no to installing the lift yourself. Otherwise, install of most lifts is definately doable by the DIY driveway "mechanic."

3 - 4 inches of water is nothing to be concerned about even at stock height as that isn't even going to be above your hubs.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
Unread 09-08-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Yillb

Awesome, thanks for the help guys. I could be wrong on the height of the water, as i do it in a company car atm, and it's well up to the bumper. But now i have a much better idea, thanks so much very helpful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.