Noisy ome lifts, get in here!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Noisy ome lifts, get in here!!!

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Jeep Wrangler Framless, Bowless, Trektops 92-95 YJ, 97-06 TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #1
Pac Man
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Noisy ome lifts, get in here!!!

Is your OME lift making funny noises?

For gods sake tighten that top strut nut ALL THE WAY DOWN.

Make sure the nut on the top of the strut is cranked down ALL THE WAY. It's also easy (since the strut shaft spins when you turn the nut) to under tighten it.

Initially I installed mine with the nuts too loose. I used a Dremel tool and widened the peepholes in the engine bay that the top of the strut shafts poke through. (this eliminates having to take the strut assembly completely out) One was under the fuse box and one was under the coolant tank. I was then able to hit both strut nuts with a high speed impact and I was amazed at how much they tightened up. TIGHTEN THEM UNTIL THEY BOTTOM OUT AND DO NOT SPIN ANYMORE. All the weird noises I had vanished.

I had to use 2 prybars to pop the bumpstops back in. Pull them down and grease them up so they slide in better. Mine aren't all the way seated, but I haven't had any issues and I have no noises.

Every week I see a thread from someone who followed some write up that instructed them to tighten the top strut nut down only a few turns. WRONG WRONG WRONG.

Oh, and REMEMBER to torque the rear shock bolts exactly to spec.
Top- 70 lb/ft
Bottom-85 lb/ft

Hemi - QDII - OME - S4XC Hidden Winch Mount -Talon 9.5SR - Full Matrix - 265/70/17 Duratrac's - Pintlers- Superchips - Magnaflow - Airaid - 5000k HIDs - Lightforce HID's - 4xG Front Guard - 4XG Diff Cover
Pac Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clunk , lift , noise , ome , rattle

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.