Newbie jeep owner - newbie questions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Newbie jeep owner - newbie questions.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 07-31-2013, 02:56 PM   #1
Robochris
2006 WK 

Newbie jeep owner - newbie questions.

Just got my first Jeep! Good to be part of the team!
06 Grand Cherokee WK - 4.7L

How do I improve mpg's? (Jk. Don't answer that. That's not why I bought a Jeep.)

Real question - how do I determine which quadra-trac/drive system my Wk is equipped with? I have the 4low t-lever.

Is there a 2wd option or is it (basically) AWD?

What kind of scenario would I use the tow/haul switch?

Where's the best place to get a radio with aux port for iPod (RER I think)?

Thanks all!

Robochris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 03:33 PM   #2
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Go here: LINK

Select the "I need Customer Assistance" link.

That will send you to a page with phone numbers, etc, and a "send us an email" link.

Click that link.

Fill in the information and the last 8 numbers of the VIN, and tell them you would like a copy of the factory build sheet.

About two days later you will have a list of everything Jeep put in it at the factory.

Question two, re: AWD/2WD. No.

Question three, tow/haul button: Towing/hauling? Just kidding. When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the "Tow / Haul" button. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting. When operating in "Tow / Haul" mode, the transmission will shift to 3rd gear and 4th will be enabled under steady cruise conditions. Basically, it locks out overdrive and increases the shift intervals.

Question four: No clue, I avoid all things Apple.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #3
Megs_Revenge
SUV Enthusiast

2005 WK 

Mine tells you right on the shifter bezel, Quadra-drive II. Course, you could also look at your rear differential cover? Do you have 10 vs 12 bolts? 12=QDII. 10=QTII.

Towing: Straight from wkjeeps.com
When To Use Tow/Haul Mode (all models except SRT8)

When driving in hilly areas, towing a trailer, carrying a heavy load, etc., and frequent transmission shifting occurs, press the "Tow / Haul" button. This will improve performance and reduce the potential for transmission overheating or failure due to excessive shifting. When operating in "Tow / Haul" mode, the transmission will shift to 3rd gear and 4th will be enabled under steady cruise conditions.

The "Tow / Haul" light will illuminate in the instrument cluster to indicate when the switch has been activated. Pressing the switch a second time restores normal operation. If the "Tow / Haul" mode is desired, the switch must be pressed each time the engine is started.

Silver WK club #69

Oo|||||||oO
Megs_Revenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robochris View Post
Just got my first Jeep! Good to be part of the team!
06 Grand Cherokee WK - 4.7L

How do I improve mpg's? (Jk. Don't answer that. That's not why I bought a Jeep.)

Real question - how do I determine which quadra-trac/drive system my Wk is equipped with? I have the 4low t-lever.

Thanks all!

-Most likely you have Quadra-Trac II since you have the 4.7L V8, typically only the limited hemi's came with the Quadra-Drive with electronic limited slip diffs.

-Unfortunately not. It's not AWD either, your basically in a full-time 4x4 all the time, hence the great gas mileage haha!

-An obvious answer is if you're ever towing anything that's somewhat heavy. I also use it on steep climbs to keep the trans from continously downshifting. It also helps you slow down by automatically downshifting the transmission (engine braking) to help save the brakes when hauling a heavy load.

-Probably the junkyard

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.