Newbie! I believe i trashed my transmission ;( 2006 cherokee 3.7 4x4 (awd) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Newbie! I believe i trashed my transmission ;( 2006 cherokee 3.7 4x4 (awd)

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 08-19-2014, 10:45 PM   #1
Frivera5

Newbie! I believe i trashed my transmission ;( 2006 cherokee 3.7 4x4 (awd)

Hi everyone, my name is jose from tucson az. jst joined a couple of days ago!
Im in need of some advice from you guys.
Long story short, i was camping outside town with the family and some friends, my cherokee had a injector leak which was real bad. At the moment i was freaking out because all the fuel on the engine and engine bay. It was getting dark and wanted to get home. Soo my friend and i pulled the jeep to the nearest gas station which was 6 miles. Came back the next day fixed the injectornleak but the transmission is not responding. Only now i know i cant pull an awd transmission. What should i do ? Anybody has seen this before ? Whats better jst replacing the transmission ? Repair it ?? maybe i trashed the transfer case too?
Thanks in advance! Flamee awayyy lol

Frivera5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #2
Mikeb093
2008 WK 

Was the transmission acting weird at all before you left it overnight? If not, was the gas station in a bad area? Maybe someone messed with it.
Unread 08-20-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
mkmk
2006 WK 

Did you disengage the drive system with the lever next to the shift lever? That's what you're supposed to do when towing your Jeep.

;(
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 06:22 PM   #4
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frivera5 View Post
Hi everyone, my name is jose from tucson az. jst joined a couple of days ago!
Im in need of some advice from you guys.
Long story short, i was camping outside town with the family and some friends, my cherokee had a injector leak which was real bad. At the moment i was freaking out because all the fuel on the engine and engine bay. It was getting dark and wanted to get home. Soo my friend and i pulled the jeep to the nearest gas station which was 6 miles. Came back the next day fixed the injectornleak but the transmission is not responding. Only now i know i cant pull an awd transmission. What should i do ? Anybody has seen this before ? Whats better jst replacing the transmission ? Repair it ?? maybe i trashed the transfer case too?
Thanks in advance! Flamee awayyy lol
As long as the transmission was in neutral , i can't see you doing any damage to that . Your transfer case output shaft is probably toast though .
You might have gotten away with towing it if you removed the front drive shaft ( the jeep will even roll with the transmission in park that way ) .
Guess you'll read the owners manual next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkmk View Post
Did you disengage the drive system with the lever next to the shift lever? That's what you're supposed to do when towing your Jeep.

;(
no such thing on a 3.7/QT1 wk . single speed transfer case only .
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 08:07 PM   #5
mkmk
2006 WK 

Ah, oops. Sorry about that!

Best of luck sorting it out.
mkmk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2014, 09:24 PM   #6
DeChache
2003 WJ 

How fast did you tow it. I drug my 08 about a mile last summer in desperation with the transmission in neutral and its find 15,000 miles later.
Unread 08-21-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
Frivera5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk View Post
As long as the transmission was in neutral , i can't see you doing any damage to that . Your transfer case output shaft is probably toast though .
You might have gotten away with towing it if you removed the front drive shaft ( the jeep will even roll with the transmission in park that way ) .
Guess you'll read the owners manual next time

no such thing on a 3.7/QT1 wk . single speed transfer case only .
My transmission was on neutral the whole time. Also it wasnt acting upor anything at all before the incident.. My question is could it be the transfer case ? And not tthe transmission ? I really have t check it all out. How can i check that put the tc shaft
Frivera5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #8
Nejeep

Pull the tc drain plug and see what comes out, clean fluid or chunks of metal

97 Laredo - 4.0 4x4 Daily driver for 8 years then relocated to Arizona for 6 more years with the relatives
Nejeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.