Newbie - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > Newbie

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 07-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Tuk

Hello all!
New to the forum and am excited to be on here with you all! First off I do not own a Jeep but my wife does so naturally I will be the one on here!
Anyway, she has a 2005 Grand Cherokee Limited with the Hemi and Quadratrac II. She loves it and it is very reliable! There is one problem though. When she first starts it in the morning and pulls out of the garage, when she turns it feels the the 4wd is in full force and it kind of like binds up and what not. After about ten minutes of driving it doesn't do it anymore until it sits for about 6-8 hours or so and then same thing.
We took it to a mechanic buddy of mine (that worked at Jeep at the time) and he found that a bushing that was on the front diff was bad and replaced it. Well that helped a bit but it still does it and it gets kind of annoying. I was wondering if having a larger size tire might cause this as she has 245/65/17 on it? Does anyone know what might fix this whether it be the larger size or fluid issue or something?
On a another note we had the Mopar diff fluid put in it on the 60k mile service

Tuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 06:57 AM   #2
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Is it a QuadraTracII or QuadraDriveII? I know you said QTII but seeing as it's a Limited with the Hemi I want to be sure. If it is QDII did you add the friction modifier to the diff fluid when the fluid was changed?

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #3
scott02ws6
2005 WK 

Just a thought here, all tho it isn't acting any worse than what it is, this sounds exactly like what happens when you have a bad ABS wheel speed sensor. If that is the problem, you would eventually get your ABS light, service electric brakes and 4wd system. It gets stiff and if you're in full turn, it wants to pull back to the middle. It will clunk while turning as if you're locked or jumping a gear but then it goes away and drives fine..... until you start it again.
Unread 07-22-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
Tuk

yes that is exactly what it does! I think you may have nailed it. the ABS light has never came on but she did have her electric brakes light has come I think only once or twice and never stayed on but that makes total sense now!
Unread 07-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #5
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott02ws6
Just a thought here, all tho it isn't acting any worse than what it is, this sounds exactly like what happens when you have a bad ABS wheel speed sensor. If that is the problem, you would eventually get your ABS light, service electric brakes and 4wd system. It gets stiff and if you're in full turn, it wants to pull back to the middle. It will clunk while turning as if you're locked or jumping a gear but then it goes away and drives fine..... until you start it again.
This is the exact same thing that happened to mine when one of the speed wheel sensors went bad. Almost got t-boned cause it locked up on me in the middle of a U-turn and almost got hit since I couldn't go anywhere.
Unread 07-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
Tuk

Thank you all for the post! I will look into it and let you all know the verdict!
Unread 07-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #7
rsurran

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Hey Omelet, could you elaborate a little on the friction modifier for QDII diffs? I don't remember seeing this before.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
Tuk

I was just wondering of I should do the front sensors? Are there some on the rear? I am assuming there is but not sure
Unread 07-29-2013, 12:07 PM   #9
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsurran View Post
Hey Omelet, could you elaborate a little on the friction modifier for QDII diffs? I don't remember seeing this before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuk View Post
I was just wondering of I should do the front sensors? Are there some on the rear? I am assuming there is but not sure

Almost certain in 05 you could not get a limited, hemi with quadra trac II .
this WK should have Quadra drive II which means you have ELSD's both front and rear (electronic limited slip differentials). The ELSD's have clutches that require a friction modifier in order to operate properly .Some aftermarket synthetic gear oils claim to have a modifier included , but the mopar oil will almost certainly not because you purchase that seperately .
Yes there are 4 wheel speed sensors , but they should store a code in the ABS module if they fail . I doubt one would go bad for 10 min every morning . 245/65/17 is a stock tire size (look at the sticker in the drivers side door panel when you open the door)
Did you get the 60k service at the dealership ? I would check on the friction modifier and also that the Transfercase service was included with NV245 fluid and not atf+4 like other cases .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 01:23 AM   #10
Omelet
Evil Overlord!

2005 WK 

Yes good info! Also even aftermarket diff fluid that claims to have friction modifier in it is usually not enough for proper ELSD funtion with the QD2 system.

HEMI Club Member #31 - - - JEEP Makes It, HEMI Shakes It!!!
Omelet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
rsurran

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Omelet, my diffs were just recently serviced, I doubt they did anything but fill up with the recommended weight fluid after draining. I'm going to ask.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #12
Bigdlensch
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omelet
Yes good info! Also even aftermarket diff fluid that claims to have friction modifier in it is usually not enough for proper ELSD funtion with the QD2 system.
Not even the royal purple? I was under the impression you could just pour and go with that stuff.

Sent from my iPad using JeepForum
Bigdlensch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 01:44 PM   #13
Tuk

I just talked to the guy that did the 60k mile service and says that he DID use the friction modifier straight from MOPAR. He did say to maybe put some more in and try that. I guess I'll do that and look into the speed sensors too. Maybe the combination will fix the problem. Sure is annoying
Thanks for the response everyone!!
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:22 PM   #14
Tuk

So I called the dealership and said there are only 2 speed sensors and they are located in the transmission. Could it possibly be the ABS sensors that need to be replaced?
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #15
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Yes there are 2 speed sensors in the transmission (input shaft speed and output shaft speed), But the sensors mentioned above refer to the wheel speed sensors and they control much more then just the ABS .
honestly if a dealership told me exactly what you stated , i would probably not go back there ,but i'm like that when it comes to stealerships.

from the service manual .
The traction control system is an all-speed traction control. All-Speed Traction Control enhances mobility and prevents
wheel slip when accelerating on slippery surfaces. Depending on how slippery, an automatically activated
Winter Mode feature will select lower transmission up-shift speeds. It also provides a measure of directional stability
control. Using the wheel-speed sensors, it can detect excessive yaw and help keep the car on the intended course,
as for instance, when accelerating around a curve.
With rear-wheel drive, All-Speed Traction Control is effective up to 85 mph (137 km/h); with AWD, All-Speed Traction
Control is effective up to 45 mph (72 km/h), which is common among competitive AWD vehicles with traction control
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.