New xk owner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New xk owner

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-06-2013, 11:34 AM   #1
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

New xk owner

Hey everyone new to the site and just purchased a commander last month. 2007 Base with the 3.7. Always loved the look of the commanders and always wanted on so when it was time for a bigger family car I knew what was at the top of my list. I do want to do a couple small things to it and make it my own, like a RC 2" lift. Here's some pictures of it stock. Also went ahead and put some 245/75/17's on it awhile. It does have 119,xxx miles on the odometer but is very clean. Any recommended maintenance I should do or check? Never did any modifying to any Jeeps, so look forward to learning all I can. Doesn't seem like there's too many modified xk out there.

Here's the stock pictures of the first day I bought it.

And after I added the 245/75/17's

kream88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

Also took the front plate holder off. Luckily here in PA we don't need front plates.
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Looks great and welcome to the forums! First thing I would do is since it is over 100k miles check all the fluids (including T-case, Diffs, etc.) and check your spark plugs. After that start modding away As far as the 2" RC lift it is a great lift for being a BB lift. the front and rear spacers are both made of steel unlike many other BB lift kits plus it is priced good for someone on a budget. After that id look into wheels. 265/70r17 wheels can be fitted with minor rubbing and doing the pinch weld mod will make it 0 rubbing. If you do plan to keep stock rims you will need wheel spacers for everything to fit correct and not rub.
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:17 PM   #4
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

^ Is this easy to do by yourself? Would really like to attempt the majority of work by myself and how to's or sticky's on how to do all the fluids on the 3.7 commander. All I come up with in the search is for the 4.7 or 5.7 or the Jeep Grands.
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
XK1982
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kream88 View Post
^ Is this easy to do by yourself? Would really like to attempt the majority of work by myself and how to's or sticky's on how to do all the fluids on the 3.7 commander. All I come up with in the search is for the 4.7 or 5.7 or the Jeep Grands.
It's pretty easy changing the fluids just a little time consuming. Here is a link I use all the time, tells you everytihng you'll need to know:

http://www.wkjeeps.com/wk_maintenance.htm#FAXLE

I have a XK too but since it's identical (mechanically) to the WK I just use that link.
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:33 PM   #6
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Give this a look! Has some write ups and even a couple videos on changing fluids in the transfer case and rear diff.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f67/t...e-ups-1480838/
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks for the links. I was reading a couple of the sticky's and stumbled across a couple different helpful threads. Not too much on the xk though. So from what I'm getting the xk and wk are identical? with the exception of body style and interior? For example found a thread on changing spark plugs for the 3.7 but on a wk. I'm guessing it would be the same for a xk.
Unread 08-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Thanks for the links. I was reading a couple of the sticky's and stumbled across a couple different helpful threads. Not too much on the xk though. So from what I'm getting the xk and wk are identical? with the exception of body style and interior? For example found a thread on changing spark plugs for the 3.7 but on a wk. I'm guessing it would be the same for a xk.
Yes
Unread 08-06-2013, 01:41 PM   #9
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

I noticed that video for the transfer case was for a 4.7. Would it be the same as the 3.7? Just looking to see how much stuff is similar/same between the 3.7's, 4.7's and 5.7. Since the majority of the right up's or videos are for 4.7 or 5.7.
Unread 08-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #10
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kream88
I noticed that video for the transfer case was for a 4.7. Would it be the same as the 3.7? Just looking to see how much stuff is similar/same between the 3.7's, 4.7's and 5.7. Since the majority of the right up's or videos are for 4.7 or 5.7.
I'm assuming it should be. Just check your transfer case for the 2 plugs.
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

Thanks again guys. So much help and info here. I was over on jeepcommander.com but it just seems like that sites out dated and nothing but old posts and threads.
Unread 08-06-2013, 03:47 PM   #12
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Welcome!

I too just got an XK (06 Limited 4.7, 117k miles, inferno red, every option known to man) after my 00 WJ gave up on living.

If you flip an XK and a WK over there isn't much difference, I think they just added 3" to the body.

Now go swap those fluids, who knows if the prior owner ever did!

Good luck!

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:03 PM   #13
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

^ Plan on it any particular brands anyone recommends?
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
Umbrella
2006 XK Commander 

Quote:
^ Plan on it any particular brands anyone recommends?
I use Mopar, but some swear by Royal Purple.

With friction modifiers (and the cost to replace 4x4 parts) I just feel better using exactly what the factory says to.

“If a little is great, and a lot is better, then way too much is just about right!” Mae West
Umbrella is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-06-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
kream88
2007 XK Commander 

Also any good sites to buy parts off of? Like the fluids and lifts, and misc. stuff down the road.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.