new/used Commander rear ended! and auto light question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > new/used Commander rear ended! and auto light question...

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 12-09-2007, 07:35 AM   #1
cguthrie

new/used Commander rear ended! and auto light question...

Folks,

Unbelievably, in less than a week my wife was rear ended at a light in maybe a half inch of snow in our new (to us) 2007 Overland! To make matters worse, it was a guy in a TJ!

In any event, it looks like it's just the rear bumper and the exhaust tip was bent a bit, so any advice on what else to look for before I bring it in to his insurance would be appreciated.

Also, despite searching all the forums and reading the manual, I still have a couple questions on the light switch. I have the auto on the switch, and have set the computer for it to work high and low. Now, when I switch it to auto, the lights do not come on. Is there setting for auto-on lights, where you just set the switch, the lights turn on when it gets dark, and the auto high beam low beam works? I have this on my STS and it works like a champ!

Of course, I just sold my 99Discovery, with several leaky gaskets, bad radiator, etc., would have been nice if they had hit it instead!

CG
2007 Commander Overland 20K

cguthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 08:11 AM   #2
T-Rated

Bummer about the rear-ending. I always think of brand owners being part of a big club that look out for each other.

Auto-lights and SmartBeam are two separate systems. Switching the headlight switch to A turns on auto lights. You need to use the computer settings (MENU button) to activate SmartBeam (Auto Headlamp Low/High Beams). You can also activate "Headlights with Wipers" in the computer settings.

Jeep: 2006 Midnight Blue Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Bells Whistles
Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
T-Rated is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 09:48 AM   #3
cguthrie

Thanks for the clarification.

So if it's mid-night, and I select auto, and no lights shine, time to take it in?

Is there a fuse that may be blown?

Many thanks,

CG
2007 Commander
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:51 AM   #4
T-Rated

Something's wrong if you have it set to the "A" on the stick. Maybe someone knows if a fuse could do it. That seems like a trivial issue just for a dealer visit. I wait for other stuff to crop up before taking it in.

Mods: Tow Hooks Mopar & 4xGuard Skid Plates & Rock Rails Flowmaster 70 255/65R17 REVO's
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:02 PM   #5
Crookster777
2010 WK 

Well, when it comes out of the body shop, get a hitch step if you have the tow package.

HEMI Club Member #1
If you have a Hemi please join: http://jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=506901
NightCrew #127
Crookster777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
Scottina06
2006 WK 

someone couldve added foglights which adds the stalk with the A for the auto headlights.....but you may not have them. Is it a limited or base Commander?
Scottina06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:30 PM   #7
T-Rated

Seeing how it's an Overland, it should have all the bells and whistles.

Unread 12-10-2007, 04:55 AM   #8
cguthrie

Thsnks T-Rated.

I'm hoping that I'm just missing something on the operational side on the lights piece.

So, do most people turn their lights on every night, or do they come on automatically, if you're loaded with the bells and whistles. What clicky setting do you leave it on the stalk?

I can't believe I'm this "challenged" on this issue!

CG
2007 Commander Overland 20K
Unread 12-10-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
T-Rated

Mine is set to A, so it comes on at night, or heavily overcast afternoons. There is no sensitivity setting for this. It's either Auto or manual. If it's dark, my lights definitely come on, but if it's dusk, it's hit and miss.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.