New/used 06 wk, transmission over temp - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New/used 06 wk, transmission over temp

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, Ba

Unread 08-06-2013, 05:41 AM   #1
Tdre977
2006 WK 

New/used 06 wk, transmission over temp

New member here, been lurking for a few weeks to get some mod ideas.

Just got an 06 overland 5.7 with 40k miles, and here's where the fun begins....

It keeps popping an intermittent "transmission over temp" warning, seems to happen with the a/c going more often. I can hear the fan kick on when it does this, other than that it doesn't have drivability issues when it comes on.

Still under warranty, so it was at the dealership for 2 of the 4 weeks I've owned it. They replaced the trans temp sensor, test drove it and said all was well. Got it about 5 miles away and sure enough the "trans over temp" came back on, took it right back and now I'm waiting to hear back from them this morning.

I've done some searching and seen the other posts about this, a lot of them with no start issues along with it, but mines been running and starting fine.

Any thoughts? Anything I might be able to steer the mechanics to for this?

Thanks
Tom

Tdre977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

If you do not have a scanner go to auto zone and have them check the system for codes. If you have a code just post it here and we can give you the details of the code or just type it into google. I would think you have a bad sensor somewhere seeing as the message displayed for you after only driving 5 miles which wouldnt be enough time for the transmission to get too hot.
Unread 08-06-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Tdre977
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
If you do not have a scanner go to auto zone and have them check the system for codes. If you have a code just post it here and we can give you the details of the code or just type it into google. I would think you have a bad sensor somewhere seeing as the message displayed for you after only driving 5 miles which wouldnt be enough time for the transmission to get too hot.
I would, but the dealership still has it. They said it was a bad trans temp sensor, did their diagnostics and said everything was functioning perfectly after changing it out.

They gave me a jeep compass as a loaner...killing me.
Unread 08-06-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdre977

I would, but the dealership still has it. They said it was a bad trans temp sensor, did their diagnostics and said everything was functioning perfectly after changing it out.

Ouch! Atleast it's still a jeep!.... Kinda haha. Keep us updated on what happens when you get her back!
Unread 08-29-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
chriscalcaterra
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdre977 View Post

Tdre977:

Did you get your vehicle back? If so, what was the outcome? I am having a very, very similar issue and the dealer replaced the Transmission Solenoid Pack. As I was driving home, after the repair, I saw the dreaded "Transmission Over Temp" pop up on the EVIC and quickly disappear. I'm going to bring it back to them no Tuesday, but was wondering if you have had any luck with a successful repair.

Thanks,

Chris
2006 GC Overland | 5.7L Hemi w/QDII | 2'' BDS Lift | 31.5'' Bridgestone Revo 2's | SuperChips (87 Octane Tune) | Bilstein Shocks | Stock Skids | Magnaflow Muffler (11226) | Stillen Pads/Rotors | Kicker System |
chriscalcaterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Tdre977
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscalcaterra View Post
Tdre977:

Did you get your vehicle back? If so, what was the outcome? I am having a very, very similar issue and the dealer replaced the Transmission Solenoid Pack. As I was driving home, after the repair, I saw the dreaded "Transmission Over Temp" pop up on the EVIC and quickly disappear. I'm going to bring it back to them no Tuesday, but was wondering if you have had any luck with a successful repair.

Thanks,

Chris
Got her back a few weeks ago. I'm not entirely sure what the dealer did on the second go around. I had discussed with my service advisor many of the solutions I had seen online, including the inspection of the harness at the tranny, the connections at the starter, the check valve on the tranny cooler line and a reflash of the tcm. After getting it back I've driven it about 1500 miles and haven't had it return.

Good luck with it, I know how frustrating this was.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.