New Transmission Problem?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New Transmission Problem??

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 11-15-2006, 06:15 AM   #1
MightyQ

New Transmission Problem??

We have a 06 Commander 5.7 Limited with 14k miles bought new Feb of this year. We have had no problems what so ever and love it. It let us down for the first time ever on Sunday, 12 Nov 2006.

This is how it happened and in a very non-dramatic fashion I might add. Late Sunday evening I had started the car and selected reverse to pull out of my parking spot at our condo. I was about half way out and barely on the gas and all of a sudden nothing, no acceleration. It felt like as if I had accidentally selected neutral. I tapped the gas and all it would do was rev up a little. I selected drive and the same thing; I even tried the slap stick shifter but nothing. We pushed it back in to the parking stall and waited till Monday morning to call the dealership.

I figured it was something related to either the hydraulics or it was electrical in nature based on the lack of mechanical noise you normally hear when a transmission let go.

So the dealership picks up the Commander on a flatbed early Monday morning and at the service dept they say they will have something for us later in the day.

Now my better half has to drive around in a rental Chevy Cobalt for the day and is not pleased to say the least. Her comment about the rental was, "Your must be kidding me... it doesn’t have electric...??".

I call the dealership around 3:30pm and ask to speak to the service manager to inquire about the Commander. When he gets on he proceeds to tell me we can come pick it up, it's done. Needless to say I was very surprised when he said this; I was honestly expecting it to be in the shop for some time. I asked what the problem was and he said it was the oil filter in the transmission and it had come loose causing no fluid to circulate to the torque converter. The oil filter was replaced along with a seal; transmission was flushed and replaced with fresh fluid and all. He basically gave us a free 15k service for free all under warranty, the transmission flush portion that is.

So it's been two days now and it still runs great. I have to give credit to my dealership in coming through in one day and not a penny out of my pocket for anything.

MightyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
KingPrat
2001 WJ 

http://www.xkjeeps.com/tsb/tsb_xk_2101505.pdf

It's actually a common problem. Seems there was a problem with the filter placement or something. Problem on XKs and WK alike.

Glad to hear your dealership looks at TSBs unlike some other people's on this site. Seem that they are trying to deny that they even exist in some cases.

Good luck with the Jeep

Nokian Vatiiva tires: 235/65-17

Previous:1997 ZJ TSi 4.0. Some stuff added

Western New England College '08
Golden Bear Lacrosse #13
Week 11 USILA Rank: #15
2008: 16-5
NCAA Elite 8
TCCC Champions

Please read and share!!
KingPrat is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.