New transfer case - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New transfer case

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #1
Bucktyler
2006 WK 

New transfer case

My 4wd drive system light has been coming on so I took it to the dealer and they said I need a new transfer case, how much should I expect it to cost? From what I've read it will easily be upward of 1000 and I'm cash strapped and the jeep is my only car. Anyway is it safe to drive? Also by driving it do I risk further damage and cost ? I only have a 5 minute drive to school, and don't plan on driving mush more than that, no long trips, so will I be ok for that use ?
Thanks!

Bucktyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
modernblueWK

How is it running otherwise? Any jerking when turning? Bad noises? What does the fluid look like?
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 11:56 AM   #3
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

i had to get mine replaced. paid a trusted mechanic i know $930 for the t-case install and all out the door. does anything happen under heavy acceleration or while shifting from park to drive or shifting at all?
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Dealership is the last place on earth you want fixing your vehicles. Dealerships make their money selling high priced parts, and they will seldom take time/effort to diagnose and repair when they can simple bolt on new high priced (high profit margin) parts. Find a shop that understands 4x4 and Jeeps and have them figure out what is wrong. If nothing else, look for a good used transfer case.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:06 PM   #5
Bucktyler
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernblueWK View Post
How is it running otherwise? Any jerking when turning? Bad noises? What does the fluid look like?
Knock on wood, no noises or any problems driving wise whatsoever.
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #6
Bucktyler
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
The Dealership is the last place on earth you want fixing your vehicles. Dealerships make their money selling high priced parts, and they will seldom take time/effort to diagnose and repair when they can simple bolt on new high priced (high profit margin) parts. Find a shop that understands 4x4 and Jeeps and have them figure out what is wrong. If nothing else, look for a good used transfer case.
Thanks for the heads up, There's a local mechanic that specializes in jeeps, going to take it there sometime next week to get an estimate
Unread 04-17-2013, 02:09 PM   #7
Bucktyler
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepforthewin View Post
i had to get mine replaced. paid a trusted mechanic i know $930 for the t-case install and all out the door. does anything happen under heavy acceleration or while shifting from park to drive or shifting at all?
Where did you get the t case itself ? I've been looking for used ones but can't find any near me.
Unread 04-17-2013, 06:35 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktyler View Post
Where did you get the t case ?
www.car-part.com

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #9
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktyler
Where did you get the t case itself ? I've been looking for used ones but can't find any near me.
My mechanic found it I'm not sure where. Sorry
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #10
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktyler View Post
Knock on wood, no noises or any problems driving wise whatsoever.
no noises or driveability issues and you need a new transfer case ? there's only a handfull of sensors in the transfer case that can even make the service 4x4 light appear . I'd be shocked and amazed if you need anything even close to a new transfer case . i mean this is an AWD vehicle that won't even move if the transfer case is buggered .whatever garage you take it to , i wouldn.t even mention what that dealer said . keep us posted . good luck .
2010 MK Patriot
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:40 PM   #11
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzjwk

no noises or driveability issues and you need a new transfer case ? there's only a handfull of sensors in the transfer case that can even make the service 4x4 light appear . I'd be shocked and amazed if you need anything even close to a new transfer case . i mean this is an AWD vehicle that won't even move if the transfer case is buggered .whatever garage you take it to , i wouldn.t even mention what that dealer said . keep us posted . good luck .
I agree with you. When mine needed replaced it would make a loud clunk when shifting gears and any type of moderate or heavy acceleration made a loud pop sound like metal slipping and I would lose power for a split second
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:44 PM   #12
Bucktyler
2006 WK 

I'm no mechanic but it didn't seem right to me either. I did have the dealer do a flash while I was there and (fingers crossed) the light hasn't came back. I'm just worried about driving it, if there is a problem and having something worse happen. If its not a new t case what else could it be ?
Unread 04-17-2013, 08:46 PM   #13
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktyler
I'm no mechanic but it didn't seem right to me either. I did have the dealer do a flash while I was there and (fingers crossed) the light hasn't came back. I'm just worried about driving it, if there is a problem and having something worse happen. If its not a new t case what else could it be ?
Yzjwk was right when he said there are a handful of sensors. I'd suggest getting those checked cause they could easily throw the "service 4WD" message
Unread 04-18-2013, 06:39 AM   #14
gamma500
2005 WK 

When my 05 TC went, the Jeep was bucking and locking up intermittently such that it was near undriveable. Agree with getting second opinion. "Service 4WD" message will pop up with ABS sensor fault, speed input/output sensors off tranny, a whole host of things....
gamma500 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2013, 02:13 PM   #15
Bucktyler
2006 WK 

I'm taking it to the local mechanic Monday, but like I said since the flash the light hasn't came back. Will it just be a wasted trip?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.