New Tires, replacing stock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New Tires, replacing stock

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-06-2013, 11:36 AM   #1
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

New Tires, replacing stock

Searched a bit, but couldn't find a basic all terrain tire recommendation. I must be searching for the wrong thing!

Anyone have a tire they really like? My 2005 WK needs a new set of shoes.

Thanks in advance for the help.

maybeitsjustme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
scootr29
Web Wheeler

2008 WK 

245/65/17?

Stock I ran the General Grabber HTS with no issues....ice, snow and mild off roading.
Silver WK Club Member #1
2008 CRD QT2
scootr29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #3
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

Yeah, that's the right size. I'll check those out. Locally been recommended the Firestone Destination LE2. Was wondering if I'd be better suited with an all terrain vs. a highway tire.
Unread 05-06-2013, 01:22 PM   #4
diver110
2009 WK 

I have Goodyear Silent Armour and have done some pretty heavy duty offroading with them, all stock (well, it wasn't the Rubicon Trail). Very happy with the tire.
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #5
modernblueWK

The old destination LE is a great tire. The new one is supposed to be better on ice.

I second the general hts for a mild tire. General grabber AT2 if you want a true all terrain with some off road cred.
Blue WK club #4
modernblueWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 07:54 AM   #6
NDSU_Bison
2014 WK 

I'm happy with my Silent Armour tires. They are much quieter on the highway than the stock Forteras and are great in snow. My off-road adventures are limited to driving on the ocean beaches that normally aren't a problem for any 4x4 or even 2WD if they stay out of the soft stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diver110 View Post
I have Goodyear Silent Armour and have done some pretty heavy duty offroading with them, all stock (well, it wasn't the Rubicon Trail). Very happy with the tire.
NDSU_Bison is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
maybeitsjustme
2005 WK 

General Grabber HTS looks really solid. I think I may end up going with those over the Firestone. They are just about the same price in the size I need--so that part is negligible.

The Silent Armours are a bit more--like $35 more per tire. I wonder how much of a noticable difference there would be for the cost?

Thanks for all of the advice. Much appreciated.
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:59 AM   #8
JeepCK
2009 WK 

I have the General Grabber AT2's and I love them. Haven't been off roading with them yet (just got them put on a few weeks ago). But I love them. They look great, they ride great... Hopefully I will get to go off road this weekend.
2009 3.7L Laredo Black | Two-Toned Leather | RER Nav/DVD/BA System | Viper alarm | HID's in the lows and fogs | Westin Brush Guard | Tinted Tails | Custom Blue LED Interior/Rear Hatch Lights - White Rock Lights| Rough Country 1.5" Spacers | General Grabber 255/70r17 -- Island Beach State Park 4x4 Mobile Sportsfishing Permit --
JeepCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #9
bigalgreek

I too have used the General Grabbers but a tire guy was just trying to sell me some Michelin's. I will probably stick with the Generals.
bigalgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
modernblueWK

Cheaper and just as good. Generals
Blue WK club #4
Unread 05-18-2013, 03:48 AM   #11
rsurran
2005 WK 

I had Firestone Destination LE's on my XJ, ran smooth and looked good. Never went off the road with them.

Dick Surran

"When you stop contributing you are just taking up space."
rsurran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 06:15 AM   #12
07WKLtd
2007 WK 

The stock tires that came on my WK were such junk I tossed them around 30k and replaced them with Nokian WR G2's. Ran those for 60k and they were fantastic. Quiet, great grip on dry & wet roads and they have the DOT snowflake rating for winter tires. They perform as well as any non studded dedicated snow tire. And they wear well. I put my 2nd set on in Jan '13 at 90k. They're not the cheapest tire out there, but they are worth every penny (IMO).
07WKLtd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
dmsfun
2006 WK 

If you never go off road, I wold go with Firestone Destination LE2, but hey, it is a Jeep so why get HWY only tires ? For an AT tire, I suggest the Cooper Discoverer AT3. I previously had Firestone Destination AT, GY Fortera tripletread, and the stock GY, and the Coopers are easily the best, also the cheapest of all 4 I've used. Firestones AT are 2nd, but Coopers are much smoother riding on the HWY and better over bumps, potholes, etc, quieter, great off road, and have excellent snow traction.
2006 Overland QDII 5.7 BT catch can, Diablosport Intune, CMR tune by Hemifever tuning, Modern Muscle ported 85mm TB, Apexi super voltage regulator, SRT8 front and rear sway bars, Koni FSD shocks/struts, Cooper discoverer AT3's, Amsoil fluids.
dmsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:48 AM   #14
modernblueWK

If you only occasionally go "off road" i would go for the destination LE or the grabber HTS. You will be happier over the long run. Less noise and quieter running. Any A/T tire will also hurt your mpg's a bit.
Blue WK club #4
Unread 05-18-2013, 07:58 AM   #15
dmsfun
2006 WK 

The above is not true with the Cooper AT3. They are a new 2012 design, quiet at speed, plus they perfectly match the Jeep chassis, better than any HWY tire. The worst tires I had were the GY Fortera Tripletreads, a HWY tire which were #1 rated on tirerack. The only plus was they were quiet, but VERY rough riding and bouncy in comparison to the Coopers... I could not stand them any longer and sold them with 6k. I also get 22 mpg HWY with the Coopers with my 5.7 hemi (also have ported TB, CC, Intune)
2006 Overland QDII 5.7 BT catch can, Diablosport Intune, CMR tune by Hemifever tuning, Modern Muscle ported 85mm TB, Apexi super voltage regulator, SRT8 front and rear sway bars, Koni FSD shocks/struts, Cooper discoverer AT3's, Amsoil fluids.
dmsfun is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.