New owner here! 2006 w/5.7 Hemi - I have a strange rattle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New owner here! 2006 w/5.7 Hemi - I have a strange rattle

Black Friday SALE! Up to 20% off at Diode Dynamics!Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 08-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
funair85
2006 WK 

New owner here! 2006 w/5.7 Hemi - I have a strange rattle

Hi all.
My name is Joe. Nice to meet you all.
I purchased about a month ago a 2006 WK, 68k miles, pretty much in superclean condition.
I have an issue that I have tried to research on here and I am having difficulty finding an answer. I hope someone can help.

Right behind the latch (on the drivers side) that connects and secures the rear seat when in the up position, there is a rattle that sounds like it is coming from either behind the pillar trim or from under the trim of the very back window. It is really strange. I only hear this rattle when I go over a speed bump or something similar.
I do have new shocks on the rear if that makes a difference. I have gone around the shock and everything is tight.
I can almost swear it is coming from the inside?
Can anyone help? thanks!!!

funair85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
BoraBora

2006 WK 

Did you check the torque? Check the heat shields. That was my problem, took me 2 weeks to figure it out and I was extremely frustrated...
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
yzjwk
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funair85 View Post
Hi all.
I purchased about a month ago a 2006 WK, 68k miles, pretty much in superclean condition.
I have an issue that I have tried to research on here and I am having difficulty finding an answer. I hope someone can help.

Right behind the latch (on the drivers side) that connects and secures the rear seat when in the up position, there is a rattle that sounds like it is coming from either behind the pillar trim or from under the trim of the very back window. It is really strange. I only hear this rattle when I go over a speed bump or something similar.
I do have new shocks on the rear if that makes a difference. I have gone around the shock and everything is tight.
Does it still make noise if you have the rear seat down ?
I think i remember a while back someone here having issues with that seat latch causing a rattle . Something about the spring that closes the latch in maybe ??
good luck
00 WJ 4.0
yzjwk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 07:38 AM   #4
Anon155
2005 WK 

If the previous owner ever took the rear seat out, they may not have gotten it down in the right position. It uses a hooking type system that you have to get it into at the base of the seat. I had some sort of rattle back there when I didn't get it right once. It affected everything, even made it hard to latch the back of the seat correctly. The latch moved around more, never felt secure. If you have tools, I would try taking the back seat out and pop the rear panel where the latch is. It isn't hard to do, and I'll give you a link to a website that has great info for our jeeps. Especially on how to take them apart and put them back together. You may have something loose that just needs to be moved or torqued down. Good luck!

Here's the link:
http://www.wkjeeps.com/interior_trim.htm
05 Jeep Grand Cherokee: ORT 4X4; Khaki #55
Too many mod's to list...
Anon155 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #5
DRCracker
2006 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by funair85 View Post
Hi all.

WOW, I have a 2006 WK Hemi and I have the exact same rattle.
It hasn't changed even though I have a new OME HD and the rear sway bar has been torqued down.

I concluded that the rear seat was rattling on it's latch, as in another thread.

I'd like to see if you find another explanation, I've been egnoring my rattle!

TC
Dark Khaki 2011 #9104 Wheels, Firestone Destination A/T 265/70/17's.
OME HD lift. Dark Khaki Matrix Brush Guard, Dark Khaki Painted Headlight Bezels.
Hemi Club #65 // Khaki WK Club #40

Last edited by DRCracker; 08-07-2013 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: misspell
DRCracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

My seat latch in that location tends to make a rubbing or squeaking noise from time to time.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 03:25 PM   #7
funair85
2006 WK 

thanks guys, it was the latch. I taped it up and it is good to go!
funair85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.