New owner of a 2005 WK limited - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New owner of a 2005 WK limited

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
badboyplaya
2005 WK 

New owner of a 2005 WK limited

Hi Guys, just joined, bought another WK for winter, nice truck, one owner dealer maintained,

all service is up to date, dealer said it needs Diff/tranny service? do i need it?

its got 146,000km,

Truck drives great but after I hit 100km/r i hear a humming/whistle only when i accelerate, nothing when coasting, what could it be?

Thanks.

2005 jeep grand cherokee 5.7 HEMI

1.jpg  
badboyplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

Great looking Jeep and welcome to the Forum! Good choice going with the HEMI as far as the noise issue. I'm not to sure I havn't personally heard any problems similar that I can think of.
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:42 PM   #3
TeXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The noise could be the gears inside the diff. You have a drive side and a coast side on your ring and pinion. What do they mean by "service" of the diff/tranny? Is that just a fluid change, or something more?
Unread 10-22-2013, 05:37 PM   #4
Jeepforthewin
Lucky Charms!

2005 WK 

146,000km equals out to close to 91,000 miles. The diff and tranny fluid are supposed to be replaced at the 60,000 mile service.
BLACK WK CLUB #87

LOOKING TO BUY: 4XGUARD SKIDS, SUPERCHIP 3870/3872, CATCH CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepmojo
Jeep's prefer the company of other Jeep's over that of other vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imann View Post
I love the Hemi....insane power....sports car like acceleration.....passes everything but the gas station.....
Jeepforthewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
05wkmoneypit
2005 WK 

I had the same problem. It was the ring and pinion. You will have to replace the gears as well to get rid of the noise because of the metal shavings scarring the gears. Sucks i just had them replace the ring and pinion cuz the gears are very expensive to replace.
05wkmoneypit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Steelear
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05wkmoneypit View Post
I had the same problem. It was the ring and pinion. You will have to replace the gears as well to get rid of the noise because of the metal shavings scarring the gears. Sucks i just had them replace the ring and pinion cuz the gears are very expensive to replace.
This doesn't make a lot of sense. The ring and pinion are the main "gears" in an axle center section. There are side gears and spider gears in an open differential. If you jeep has a limited slip differential the side gears and spider gears are replaced by the limited slip which contains a pack of clutches to apply torque.
Steelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #7
TeXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelear View Post
This doesn't make a lot of sense. The ring and pinion are the main "gears" in an axle center section. There are side gears and spider gears in an open differential. If you jeep has a limited slip differential the side gears and spider gears are replaced by the limited slip which contains a pack of clutches to apply torque.
Not sure why you think his comment doesnt make sense?

video for you:
http://youtu.be/3oAFc-_g3ZA

the spider gears sit in a carrier, the carrier is attached to the ring gear, the pinion gear contacts your ring gear. This connection is the coast/drive sides I was talking about.
Unread 10-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #8
Steelear
2005 WK 

I guess it was just his use of "the gears". When most people mention replacing the gears they are speaking about a new ring and pinion set. When I read it i thought he was saying that the R&P was not that expensive but it was the side/spider gears that drive the cost up. Like you said if you have a drive/coast issue it will be with your R&P 99% of the time. The cost of the ring and pinion is 3 times that of the side gears and spider gears. I am familiar with how an axle works and have installed a few lockers so I am not a novice to the subject.
Steelear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
TeXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelear View Post
I guess it was just his use of "the gears". When most people mention replacing the gears they are speaking about a new ring and pinion set. When I read it i thought he was saying that the R&P was not that expensive but it was the side/spider gears that drive the cost up. Like you said if you have a drive/coast issue it will be with your R&P 99% of the time. The cost of the ring and pinion is 3 times that of the side gears and spider gears. I am familiar with how an axle works and have installed a few lockers so I am not a novice to the subject.
no worries
Unread 10-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #10
badboyplaya
2005 WK 

I took it to my transmission guy, he said truck runs great, he said its the gears, not a big deal right now, it only happens at 100kms and up, he said live with it for now, ( he said if its was the pinion bearing it would also do it at low speeds) he will put the scanner on it next weekend and change the diff fluid and do a tranny service, thanks for the feedback gents...

love the truck but the gas mileage is worse than my ///M5. any advice besides drive slow...lol
badboyplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
05wkmoneypit
2005 WK 

That is what the transmission guy told me. To replace the ring and pinion i got charged 765. With the other "gears" to be replaced also it would have been 1300 total. Which at the time, it was a lot. This was a week after i bought it and the dealer said it had a full warranty which included the ring and pinion and such. But when i called the insurance conpany the dealer forgot to mention it only was good up to 500. Then there was no longer a warranty. So i just had him do the 765. I recommend to do everything because the whining is unbearable. Especially on long trips. Im thinking about going to a junkyard and picking up a whole new rear end
Unread 10-26-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
05wkmoneypit
2005 WK 

Well good luck and as far as gas mileage a tuner would be the most effective. Other than that not much

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.