New oil for crd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New oil for crd

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-26-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
gabarus
2007 WK 

New oil for crd

I see that Chrysler has stopped using Mobile 1 5w 40 low ash esp formula M and has replaced it with Pennzoil Ultra Hyper 5w 40. (that is what the dealer just put into my CRD)
The Mobile 1 spec is MB229.51.
The Pennzoil spec is 229.5.
The 229.51 spec is a tougher spec than the 229.5.
So here is my question, is this a good replacement? Will it screw up the diesel particulate filter?
Will it break down or get gunkey before the next scheduled oil change?
Any answers would be appreciated.

gabarus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
Chirpz

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabarus View Post
I see that Chrysler has stopped using Mobile 1 5w 40 low ash esp formula M and has replaced it with Pennzoil Ultra Hyper 5w 40. (that is what the dealer just put into my CRD)
The Mobile 1 spec is MB229.51.
The Pennzoil spec is 229.5.
The 229.51 spec is a tougher spec than the 229.5.
So here is my question, is this a good replacement? Will it screw up the diesel particulate filter?
Will it break down or get gunkey before the next scheduled oil change?
Any answers would be appreciated.

It ain't right. I think you should make them change it.
Right after I got my CRD, I put the wrong oil in it and drove 3000 to the next change...pulling a trailer most of the way. About 200 miles into it.... I discovered my mistake and then worried the rest of the trip. Changed to correct oil when I got home.

At the time, I did not even know what a DPF was or that it could get clogged. I did not know the reason for the .51 part of the spec. Well.... my engine did not blow up and my DPF did not clog.... Now I know that the engine was not at risk... the .51 is to protect the DPF.... so I got lucky.

Now I don't have a DPF and I am happy about that...so I can tone down the oil.

When the spec is written right there in the owner's manual, I'm surprised that they are trying to get away with that. May be they are ignorant of the risk. Or maybe the risk is overstated (nah).... but the spec is there for a good reason I think. Maybe they want to sell you a DPF.... ouch! Did they tell you to drive 10,000 between changes...that would give it plenty of time to clog.

I change every 6000 now because I tow a lot. Others on the forum go the full 10,000.
EHM MOD, Garmin Mechanic EcoHD, K&N Filter (Deleted)
Chirpz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM   #3
imnotted
2007 WK 

The Pennzoil Ultra 5w40 and Ultra Euro 5w40 (not sure there's a difference between the two) are not low SAPS oils. This is what protects your DPF, and like Chiripz said, this is pretty much the difference between a 229.5 and 229.51 oil. You need a low SAPS oil.

Click here for the specs and applications on that oil and search 'without particulate filters' to see where it states it is meant for diesels without particulate filters:
http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...30123090_5.pdf

Here is a breakdown of MB oil specs:
http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevoli...ets-sort1.html

229.51 oils aren't the easiest to find. I usually order some Total Ineo MC3 for mine and change at 12,500 mile intervals. Full synthetic oils should handle that with ease, and I've heard tales of taxis and other OM642-based commercial vehicles running 25,000 mile oil change intervals overseas. It could be pure conjecture, though.

Last edited by imnotted; 11-26-2013 at 08:10 PM..
imnotted is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
Tater2000

imnotted that breakdown link is exactly what I'm looking for if you go and click on the 229.5 (no dpf) link it gives you a list of approved oils and who makes them and their availability in each country. THANKS!!!!
Tater2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.