New member, same old question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > WK Grand Cherokee & XK Commander Forum > New member, same old question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueECGS DOTW - $100 off Yukon 8.8 C-Clip Eliminator KitNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 07-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
Claybird80
2006 WK 

New member, same old question

Hi all, I read through the FAQ section on tire size with a lift but my question is slightly different. I have a bone stock 06 wk with 245/65/17's. I ordered a 2" spring spacer lift for the front only "I like them sitting higher in the front", I'm wanting to put a set of general grabber AT's on it. I don't have wheel spacers and I'm wondering what size tire I can get away with without rubbing? I can get some wheel spacers if I have to. Thanks for the help.

Claybird80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
ISUzj
2005 WK 

I will go ahead and bite; but just an FYI, your "reverse rake" will be pretty bad and I am not even sure what you might have for problems with drive-train down the line.

Your best be on tires will be a 255/70/17 since you are not touching the back with any lift. You might be able to squeeze 265, but i wouldnt chance it.

But to be honest that seems like a pretty foolish thing to do, I would at the least order a 1" spacer for the rear and have your front to rear rake difference only be 1.5ish inches or less. Also if you do this you will want to have your headlights re-aimed as even on low beams you will probrably be blinding everyone you meet
~~[_---_____---_\-\\\\\\-\
~~~(o) )-o---(o) )-o---) )
94ZJ 5.2 Red; Rusty's 3" Coils,Skyjacker hydro's, Brush Guard, Custom Rear Bumper, Custom Roof Rack, KVG Quick Discos, 31-10.50-15's DAYTON TIMBERLINE A/T OBA 2 Gallon tank
Can't buy it? BUILD IT!! Do it cheap too cuz your in college

My Build Thread Align your jeep yourself B N B#175
ISUzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #3
Claybird80
2006 WK 

Thanks for the info, i have never heard of reverse rake causing drive train issues. Where i'm from it seems like all lifted vehicles sit higher in the front. My vehicle is already a nose diver, i didnt think 2 inches would take it much above level.
Unread 07-25-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
csacharuk
2005 WK 

I've got a set of 265/70/17 GG AT2s on mine with a 2" life all around. Needed spacers to stop frame and sway bar rubbing. You would probably be able to swing something smaller without an issue. 255/70/17

I'm pretty sure the front fenders are cut higher than the rears as is. My fronts with the 2" lift looks much higher than the rears with the same lift. I almost agree with ISUzj regarding it possibly looking funny.

Just thinking about how my WK would look without anything in the back...

None the less, make your jeep your own!

Good luck!
Unread 07-25-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Claybird80
2006 WK 

Thanks Csacharuk, I took Isuzj's advice. I ordered a 2" RC lift last night. I will be returning the 2" front only lift. Picked up a set of 265/70/17's on 17x9 wheels last night. hope this combo works out for me. Do you have any trouble with your spacers? I read a post where a guy was talking about balancing issues with spacers.
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:03 AM   #6
csacharuk
2005 WK 

Claybird80,

Good call on the RC lift...I've the same one. Are you putting it on yourself?

Did you end up going with the General Grabber AT2s still?

I have had no issues at all with the spacers. I had the tires and wheels balanced when I first put them on and my jeep still drives straight even now that I put on the 1.25" spacers...it actually feels better in my opinion. If you are interested in a pair just make sure you clean up everything really well before the install. Inside of wheel and the hub. That will help reduce any chances of a balancing issue. But again, I have not had an issue or heard of anyone complaining of this.

Good luck!

Unread 07-25-2014, 11:23 AM   #7
Claybird80
2006 WK 

I wish I could put it on myself, I work for the railroad and never know when im going to go to work so it makes it difficult to time stuff like that out. A friend of mine has an auto shop so I will take it there. I ended up biting on an ebay deal last night, Nitto terra Grapplers. Thanks for the info on the spacers. I have the 3.7 also, have you done any performance upgrades?
Unread 07-25-2014, 11:53 AM   #8
csacharuk
2005 WK 

Yeah it takes a good day to do if nothing goes wrong..and chances are since the car is older you may hit a lot of seized bolts and such. Better to let someone else deal with it haha.

I too looked into the Nitto TG but prefered the tread patter on the GG and a few other things. Not to mention the $100 price difference from where I bought the tires.

I have yet to do any performance mods yet, but they are on my list. I would like to get a ported TB from Dan the Fastman and possibly a new cold air intake. Maybe a couple other things along the way.

How about you? Any plans besides tires?
Unread 07-25-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Claybird80
2006 WK 

Ya i have plans haha, just recently got the windows tinted, now the lift and wheels and tires are on order. Im with you on the CAI and TB from fastmam, I think that will make a nice combo. After that im thinking tuner and exhaust. Thinking about some sort of roof rack as well. Looking around for a decent bluetooth stereo to throw in her also. Do you do any towing? I have a boat thats around 3000lbs, and I worry about my transmission. I usually just keep it out of overdrive..
Unread 07-26-2014, 11:43 AM   #10
csacharuk
2005 WK 

The jeep had done a good amount of towing. For a while I had it towing a 1800lb boat around, never to far though. Just my house to boat launch and back. It also spent time towing a larger 3800lb boat. Same deal however, just from the house to boat launch. Eventually I got a marina slip for the boat so no longer towing. The jeep did fine towing the boat, and I would put it in overdrive when going up and down the launch and a fairly steep hill on the drive over. Never had an issue with the transmission. If I remember correctly the 05 WK uses a Mercedes Benz transmission it is is very strong.

This being said, I did blow a piston head a year or so ago. Ended up having the whole engine redone and some other preventative maintenance like the two timing chains. This blow piston head could have been related to towing the 3800lb boat. It could have just been a little to much for the 3.7 V6.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.